Hey guys.
I went with the bandleading thread for this one because promoting your band thread didn't seem right.
Well the thing is my band (esp my singer and I) realy want to get our name out there.
We have t-shirts, stickers, and we're in the process of making a sign with our name on it and putting it behind us when we play.
We are also on Breaking Benjamens top friends on there myspace.
We spend our friday nights adding friends about 3 times.
I still don't feel that thats enough.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys,
-Mike
The good times are killing me.

Quote by UG TinyChat
meelad: I know this guy "entity0009" and "mike50227"
meelad: They're the best people there

Above Divine
Make sure you're adding people in your town or scene. They're the people that will come see you play.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
record an album or e.p., look into sending it to a recording album. if they like the band, they'll sign you.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Just to let you know, I just came home from a music conference. Which means I am about to rip your band appart. Don't worry, I offer constructive criticism but rest assure that the tips I will give you WILL help your band extremely.

First off, instead of spending your Friday nights adding people on Myspace, you need to be playing shows. When you do make your banner, make sure it has your myspace link underneath your name. If you play a good show, people will add you. I know of a band from Maryland that played one show in California. After that show they had 500 friend requests. Now if you are still bent on adding people.... don't just add random people for the hell of it. Make sure you are targeting your market. I used to be in a band that would add people in whatever town we were playing a few days before the show. We sometimes got people to come to the show telling us "you gave us something to do!".. okay fair enough. Nothing makes me more mad than getting friend requests from bands that are not in my region.. .and aren't even playing in my region. I usually reject them on the spot not even listening to their music. You are better off just adding your key demographics and your region. Being in Breaking Benjamin's top 8 doesn't mean anything if your myspace page sucks...which it does.

The first thing I would do is hire someone who has a clue on how to write a good band biography. I'm willing to do it pro bono if you send me an e-mail (which can be found in my profile) If you have any more questions after you read my reply, also shoot me an e-mail or just reply to this thread so others may benefit. In your photo section, there were only 2 photos that I actually liked... and one of them was a logo (the one with the eye) I don't really take any band seriously that has a picture of them standing near a building or wall made of bricks. It WAY overdone. Consider having another photo shoot at another location that represents your band. Also when you do live photos, try to get some pictures angled in a way where you can see a glimpse of the performers and then the audience members. It impresses me more to see a picture of a band with a packed room (with no arms crossed) than to see a picture of a lonley guitarist throwing a guitar around his body.

On your mp3s, please go to an actual studio to record an E.P. Your songs right now sound like someone recorded them with a laptop in the middle of a kitchen. These are not quality enough to use in serious radio, serious professionals, etc. I also don't like hearing songs of various qualities. One song sounded like someone just used a tape recorder while another one was much better. Why the inconsistency? As for the songwriting quality, the first thing that came to my mind was "Okay.. I've heard a million other bands in this genre... what's going to stand out?"However I'll stay on topic with promoting WHAT YOU HAVE right now.

Your main objective right now has to be getting better songs/recordings and gigs. Contact bands in your genre (which won't be hard to find on the East Coast) about playing some shows together. If you find a regional or national band in your genre that is going to be playing a club in your area soon, contact the venue about opening for them. You guys look pretty young, so if you have members still in school.. find what works best. If you have to wait until the summer to do some serious gigging.. send these winter months getting better recordings and making a marketing plan.

How many t-shirts and stickers have you actually SOLD? and where is that money going? Is it paying for a pizza party or being used to invest in your bands future? Consider having those t-shirts or stickers placed in stores in your area that may cater to your audience. How about having them sold in a Tattoo Parlor, skate park, Motorcycle dealer, etc. I buy band t-shirts all the time just because I like the design or logo... some of these bands I've never even heard before.. but they recieved my money and advertising! I would actually give the stickers away for free.. people will put them anywhere. Just make sure theres a myspace link on them. If your shirts are selling well.. get 1 more piece of UNIQUE merchandise. I always thought it was a cool idea to get a Band Toothbrush. Think about it, the average person may buy a toothbrush twice a year.. and if they use your toothbrush.. they are being reminded of your band every day!

Answer this:

What do you want to have accomplished for your band in the next 3 months? Don't answer that with "Get our name out there"...That's not specfic and will only have you where you are at right now. How about things like "Play gigs for 100+ crowds".. "Open for a regional act".. "Do a radio show." Always have a plan.

Good luck.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
^I love reading your posts. I always learn so much
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433

+1
very good post, very good read
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

Quote by element4433

+2

There isnt a lot to be said now..Ima go take some notes down =P
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Dutch Apples, your my hero. Every time I read something by you my band moves forward a bit.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
i would say write your myspace address on the back of your stickers
writing good songs and word of mouth work the best i think, try to open for a moderately big act too. we are opening for prong in november so that will help us a little.
Quote by Dutch_Apples
Just to let you know, I just came home from a music conference. Which means I am about to rip your band appart. Don't worry, I offer constructive criticism but rest assure that the tips I will give you WILL help your band extremely.
I am the vocalist / Rhythm Guitarist for Confession.

Quote by Dutch_Apples
First off, instead of spending your Friday nights adding people on Myspace, you need to be playing shows. When you do make your banner, make sure it has your myspace link underneath your name. If you play a good show, people will add you. I know of a band from Maryland that played one show in California. After that show they had 500 friend requests. Now if you are still bent on adding people.... don't just add random people for the hell of it. Make sure you are targeting your market. I used to be in a band that would add people in whatever town we were playing a few days before the show. We sometimes got people to come to the show telling us "you gave us something to do!".. okay fair enough. Nothing makes me more mad than getting friend requests from bands that are not in my region.. .and aren't even playing in my region. I usually reject them on the spot not even listening to their music. You are better off just adding your key demographics and your region. Being in Breaking Benjamin's top 8 doesn't mean anything if your myspace page sucks...which it does.
Usually we target a demographic of teenagers around our area. If we have a show coming up, we will look for people who will like our music, and are from the area of the out of town show.

It's not that we spend our friday nights doing it, we just take an hour or so aside and just chill out and do it.

Quote by Dutch_Apples
The first thing I would do is hire someone who has a clue on how to write a good band biography. I'm willing to do it pro bono if you send me an e-mail (which can be found in my profile) If you have any more questions after you read my reply, also shoot me an e-mail or just reply to this thread so others may benefit. In your photo section, there were only 2 photos that I actually liked... and one of them was a logo (the one with the eye) I don't really take any band seriously that has a picture of them standing near a building or wall made of bricks. It WAY overdone. Consider having another photo shoot at another location that represents your band. Also when you do live photos, try to get some pictures angled in a way where you can see a glimpse of the performers and then the audience members. It impresses me more to see a picture of a band with a packed room (with no arms crossed) than to see a picture of a lonley guitarist throwing a guitar around his body.
We don't really know where to go anymore for pictures, but I had talked to Mike about getting new promos already. We definitely want that done. Maybe we will go out tonight and get some new pictures.

I personally have wanted images with the audience in it, but the photographer is always in the audience, so that kind of kills things at times.

We definitely want that done for future pictures, though.

Quote by Dutch_Apples
On your mp3s, please go to an actual studio to record an E.P. Your songs right now sound like someone recorded them with a laptop in the middle of a kitchen. These are not quality enough to use in serious radio, serious professionals, etc. I also don't like hearing songs of various qualities. One song sounded like someone just used a tape recorder while another one was much better. Why the inconsistency? As for the songwriting quality, the first thing that came to my mind was "Okay.. I've heard a million other bands in this genre... what's going to stand out?"However I'll stay on topic with promoting WHAT YOU HAVE right now.
Yeah, we are planning that. We want to raise enough money to go in the studio sometime in May and record a full length CD. The only thing is, it's EXPENSIVE! We have to use our own money out of our pockets, or maybe even get loans from people... We are definitely confident in our direction right now, and are altering our direction to a much more original style. The problem is, the final mix of those songs are not complete yet, therefore we only have our more "Generic" stuff posted up.

Quote by Dutch_Apples
Your main objective right now has to be getting better songs/recordings and gigs. Contact bands in your genre (which won't be hard to find on the East Coast) about playing some shows together. If you find a regional or national band in your genre that is going to be playing a club in your area soon, contact the venue about opening for them. You guys look pretty young, so if you have members still in school.. find what works best. If you have to wait until the summer to do some serious gigging.. send these winter months getting better recordings and making a marketing plan.
We are playing an upcoming show with a band in Allentown called "LoveHateHero" and a few other nationally touring acts. We also keep a large amount of nights playing local shows, also.

Quote by Dutch_Apples
How many t-shirts and stickers have you actually SOLD? and where is that money going? Is it paying for a pizza party or being used to invest in your bands future? Consider having those t-shirts or stickers placed in stores in your area that may cater to your audience. How about having them sold in a Tattoo Parlor, skate park, Motorcycle dealer, etc. I buy band t-shirts all the time just because I like the design or logo... some of these bands I've never even heard before.. but they recieved my money and advertising! I would actually give the stickers away for free.. people will put them anywhere. Just make sure theres a myspace link on them. If your shirts are selling well.. get 1 more piece of UNIQUE merchandise. I always thought it was a cool idea to get a Band Toothbrush. Think about it, the average person may buy a toothbrush twice a year.. and if they use your toothbrush.. they are being reminded of your band every day!
We use the money for progression of the band, but it's so hard to sell shirts at shows! We sell them for 10 dollars, and anything below that will not bring in enough profit to make them worth selling, nor will it really shift the decisions of the potential buyers toward purchasing them.

Quote by Dutch_Apples
Answer this:

What do you want to have accomplished for your band in the next 3 months? Don't answer that with "Get our name out there"...That's not specfic and will only have you where you are at right now. How about things like "Play gigs for 100+ crowds".. "Open for a regional act".. "Do a radio show." Always have a plan.

Good luck.
Personally, I want to just be able to make statements with my music. I don't care if I'm playing to 10 people, as long as those people can hear what message it is taht I want to get across.

We have shifted our music toward a more political and world-view message lately, and I am much more comfortable with that.

Thanks for all the help, dude. Check your e-mail about the band biography.
Last edited by BreakingBnj at Oct 1, 2007,
Dutch Apples congrats on a brilliant post- I really learned a lot.
Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah well the Nazi Horn conquers the French Horn in two weeks.

Halogen Lights
Christ. That post was fantastic?!?! Smartest thing i've read in a long time.

Sorry for the blasphemy^^
I like a do da cha cha.
Quote by Dutch_Apples

Answer this:

Good luck.

Would you like to criticize my band(in a pm)? It would be really great of you, since you know so much about the biz

Also, where did you get all this information? I mean, if it's intuition you've GOT to have one of the brightest promotional minds I've ever seen.