that could just be the microphone hes using to record the video
Hi tom
personally i don't get the whole get a good amp first thing, i mean if you get a good amp, u aren't really gettin any better as a guitar player with an amp sittin in ur room or garage or w/e, if you have a guitar and no amp though you can at least practice and get better while you get an amp
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
probably just the microphone. My guitar sounds half decent through my amp, but when I try to record it with my crappy microphone it sounds like that. Although yes, it's true you shouldn't buy a good guitar and cheap out on an amp.
Quote by psychokiller99
personally i don't get the whole get a good amp first thing, i mean if you get a good amp, u aren't really gettin any better as a guitar player with an amp sittin in ur room or garage or w/e, if you have a guitar and no amp though you can at least practice and get better while you get an amp

They just mean,make sure you get the best amp you can,even if when you do your guitar will suck because your broke.
Quote by 4117
that could just be the microphone hes using to record the video

you can tell it's kinda the tone as well, but it's not HORRIBLE tone, cause the majority of the overt treblyness i think is the mic, but yeah, he can play good, that doesn't look like a real jem anyway, (it probably is just me being retarded)
Quote by psychokiller99

I havent heard anyone say that. I have heard people say that when you buy a guitar it doesnt matter which you get first, just make sure that the amp is either better quality of the guitar, or if the guitar is good quality the the amp should be the same quality...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I would say that when you're learning, it would be more important to play on a good guitar than through a good amp. Admittedly, the amp is going to matter when you get good enough to both want good tone and play in live situations. But I learned on a very low quality guitar when I first started and when I eventually stepped up to decent guitar it really did make a world of difference to both how I played, and how easily I learned. In a nutshell, you don't hold the amp in your hands while you play, so I would disagree; a good guitar is more important.

In the context of the video, though, I do see the TS point and to that end I would say that the quality of the amp is at least as important as the guitar, but not necessarily more.