Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
The higher value pot, the brighter your sound will be because of increased impedance to ground. A 1M pot would be even brighter, and 25K is really warm and only usually used with actives.
500k allows more treble through giving you brighter more treblier tone, 250k bleeds more treble to the ground giving you a warmer more bassier tone. You don't "have" to use 500k with humbuckers and 250k with singles, but that is typical setup.
So you can mix them?
like a 25k and a 500?
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
I wouldn't recommend 25k for passive pickups at all, they're used for active systems. But yeah you can mix them if you want.
Will it take away any tone? or f*ck with it any?
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
okay thanks =)
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
^yes. the highest you can probably find is 1Meg though, i had them in my single coils. now i have 500k, and it's working great. i like them cuz 500k can be 250k at middle ish, so it's pretty cool. i wouldn't mind 1Meg either, but i like 500k now.

for a neck humbucker, 1Meg might work. but bridge 1meg, eh... i can't imagine twangier than a regular bridge humbucker...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i use 1meg and i like it, but i dunno, its personal preference.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
also, keep in mind, you want audio taper for the volume pot, like the human ear interprets sound. Using a linear, it will only sound like it does anything at the extremes. iirc, you use linear taper for the tone pot.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
Using a linear, it will only sound like it does anything at the extremes.

no, using an audio taper is like that. linear u need to roll quite a bit to notice a difference. linear taper's ratio is 50:50. modern audio taper is more like 70:30, or even 80:20. vintage guitars had 60:40, so it might be better off with a linear taper. i personally don't like the audio tapers.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by franc0ph0bic
paying almost $3 for a pot is WAY overpaying lol...

here
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Potentiometers+and+Trimpots

and if you dont want to pay the shipping i think mouser shipping is less and they have them for $1.40

Yeah but for guitar sometimes you'll need a long shaft, or a knurled shaft. Most of the pots at Small Bear are better for pedals and amps, he has those mini pots for guitars but I hate them. I use the Alpha pots from stewmac, and if you got the extra cash go CTS
the knurled alphas from mouser is too long to fit any knob. i have them and i regret buying them.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
lol go to sleep. what time is it anyways in penn?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
awesome. its 2 20 here... so i guess i need to go to sleep soon? lol
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^o yea. me and my friend changed our mind. we're going vintage two knob MKII specs now lol. smallbear MKII trannies
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Hey, on the Eric Johnson forums every one talks about using 300k pots for a strat because you get more highs and a better sounding overall tone, also when you use a cable that is over 10 feet this can really help in the signal loss and reduce in tone.

Just FYI (and we all know how Eric johnson works to get the best tone out of his gear!
^that could be a good one. i've read quite a few articles adressing that pot values around 300 being pretty good on single coil strats. i'll go look right now.

edit: here http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Sep 30, 2007,
^i want smoother taper from my gutiar at least... from 9-10 is a big change...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Your best bet for a 300k pot is to use a 500k pot with a 750k resistor across it, that'll bring it down to 300k. I wanted to try this on the Edwards Goldtop P90 LP I plan on getting. In the very distant future
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i'll try it on my Gibson ES355 i plan on getting in the very distant future then.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard

I thought you were more of a Fender guy? I prefer the necks but prefer that 50s Goldtop tone to anything.

And in other news, I got some GREAT tones out of my Bad Monkey yesterday. It's so versatile! With gain at half, tone controls set to taste and level boosting a tiny bit, I got this awesome SRV tone by playing really hard, and when you lay back it cleans up perfectly! Best £30 I ever spent.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by ECistheBest
no, using an audio taper is like that. linear u need to roll quite a bit to notice a difference. linear taper's ratio is 50:50. modern audio taper is more like 70:30, or even 80:20. vintage guitars had 60:40, so it might be better off with a linear taper. i personally don't like the audio tapers.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. Linear is more like an on/off to the human ear, like no vol at 0, then full vol at like 20% of the sweep. The human ear hears logarithmically, not linearly, that's why you use audio taper for volume pots, so it sounds like it's working across the full range. That's also why loudness is measured in dB.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Sep 30, 2007,