I hold my pick between my pick between my thumb and my first two fingers. I am always being told that this is a bad way to hold it but I don't really understand what the "normal" way of doing things is.

Could someone please show me how they hold the pick (preferable with pictures or vids) and what the motion they use looks like?

Thanks
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
how is this an advanced technique? w/e works for u should be fine. i use my thumb and first finger
I just hold it with my thumb and index finger holding the pick with my thumb perpendicular to the point, that's pretty much it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvMcT_NiaWo

Think that could be the one. There's many different ways, but there will be one which is most effective, shrugged if I know for certain what one it is- but Gilbert's been playing for so long and so well, I suppose he's pretty good to go off
Who reads sigs anyway
whatever works should be fine... though when I speed pick I tend to do a fist
thumb + index.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
the normal way is the way that if comfortable to you. everyone has a different way of holding the pick. some use a fist and others keep there fingers curved of straight. some people hold their pick between their thumb and first finger, second finger, or both like you.
i used to use my thumb with first and second finger. i cant see how its wrong but i did drop my pick alot so now i use index and thumb
Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah well the Nazi Horn conquers the French Horn in two weeks.

Halogen Lights
I used to hold my pick like that... I couldn't really pick fast that way, though. And when strumming, my pick had less give. So, I switched over to thumb plus index finger. It's very uncomfortable at first if you're used to your index and middle finger method, but after a few weeks, it pays off greatly. I can pick much faster and I can control my picking volume and attack better.

-Dan
just make sure youre not using excess tension
i have a 'white guitar'
^ same here.... i would think making a fist would cause excess tension. i could be wrong, but muscles do need to be a little tense to make a fist. i know the only muscles that are really used when i pick (aside from the muscle movement in the wrist) is just enough for my index and thumb to hold the pick in place.
That article isn't meant to give a "correct" way to pick, (but then it wasn't meant to be confusing either) it's more of an analysis of what happens when you do. From a biomechanical, "what's the most efficient" perspective anchoring will tie up muscles that needn't be tied up, that's not to say that lots of players can't wear that and play just fine. Resting your wrist on the bridge will cause even more tension but again you may be able to live with that (Jimmy Page gets around alright), especially if other factors such as the height of the guitar and rotation of the forearm are in your favor.

At the end of the day your wrist placement will be affected by the position of your shoulder and the rest of your arm and the position of your guitar, you can't look at it in isolation.

The article is meant to be a more detailed analysis of flatpicking, to be taken in context of the rest of the program, I can see that it's not very friendly in some places though. If you have any feedback, or could isolate what was most confusing I could get back to it. Maybe a thread asking for the best way to hold a pick isn't the best place to refer to it because I'm not trying to answer that question, just thought it might add to the mix.
Quote by Galvanise69
Well that just made me even more confused.. Which way is the best way to anchor, or not too. It seems that even steve vai anchors, and a whole lot of guys at my shcool anchor and they can play really fast too. Is this just because of sheer and not correct technique? Ive never been able to comfortably anchor with my pinky, its always felt really weird, but ive usually just wrest by lower palm/wrist on the bridge. Id really like to know what the right way is, so i can play correctly..

Don't anchor, causes excess tension. End of story, it's pretty much fact
Some people use thumb and middle (Glen Drover)

Its just a matter of preference and comfortability
and whichever way you can play better, I guess.
okay, this is how to hold a pick:
1. hold out your hand as if you're about to shake someone's hand.
2. place the pick (point facing away from your palm) on the second segment of your thumb.
3. make sure the point of the pick is level with the point your thumb nail starts (the cuticle)
4. curl your index finger behind the pick to hold it in place. (imagine you're pulling the trigger of a gun but keep it in the coiled position)
Leper is right! that is the right way to hold it! The reason for this is to cover a wide surface area of the pick so it doesnt come out of your hand as easily!

I dont need to do this because my thumb can actually bend back so that all of my thumb covers the pick!
WAHEY!!!!

(double-jointedness. Ya gotta love it at times like these)
Quote by Hidde
I hold my pick between my pick between my thumb and my first two fingers. I am always being told that this is a bad way to hold it but I don't really understand what the "normal" way of doing things is.

Could someone please show me how they hold the pick (preferable with pictures or vids) and what the motion they use looks like?

Thanks

i hold my pick the same way, it works fine for me.
for picking, its a tight grip between my thumb and the side of my index, for strumming i relax the grip a little and sort of bring round my middle finger onto the pick.

whatever works for you.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
I hold it with my thumb and tip of my middle finger. I find its stronger grip and i never drop it, even when i hit a dead note with a really hard pick, which would often shock the pick out of my hand. I add my index sometimes to point the end properly
Quote by LeperAffinity
okay, this is how to hold a pick:
1. hold out your hand as if you're about to shake someone's hand.
2. place the pick (point facing away from your palm) on the second segment of your thumb.
3. make sure the point of the pick is level with the point your thumb nail starts (the cuticle)
4. curl your index finger behind the pick to hold it in place. (imagine you're pulling the trigger of a gun but keep it in the coiled position)

If I hold the pick like that I can't get nice conenction with the strings and have to sort of twist my wrist down.

I normally use thumb/index/third but I've started transfering over to thumb/index but don't use it all the time. I think thumb/index is a bit easier for palm muting, but sometimes I'll use all 3 for a bit of extra stability (I find it easier to accent notes with 3)
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Usually I hold it with my index and thumb, letting the other fingers pointing towards the ground, but I tend to add my F finger for faster riffs, which makes it somewhat easier for me. I tend to play a lot with the pick.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

i agree with most things here, and i to have only just recently changed my picking style. the story goes, on my previous holls, i was learning some old yngwie malmsteen riffs, and of course i cant keep up. i then saw a video of his, where he explained how he held the pick. this is to relax your picking hand as much as possible, and only just hold onto the picks. not so loose that the pick literally falls from your fingers, but just relax your hand as much as possible. its worked for me, and i currently...:

1. put my thumb out so that the nail is facing up

2. where the pick is widest (not longest) i place that on the first bit of my thumb (thumb tip to the first knuckle) and it fits pretty snuggly

3. next, i just lightly put my index literally in the middle of the pick, and voilla, you have one very relaxed grip

note. remember to have a very relaxed hand, as this may cause pain, and holding the pick too tightly reduces speed.

if your like me, then you probs think im silly, and that holding the pick loose will make it harder to pick. but it really makes it easier. of course, this will be uncomfortable for a while, but you do get results.

this is what works for me, so i hope it helps ya
man i want a new strat....
EVH held a pick with his middle finger and thumb

MAB holds his pick like...the wierdest way possible...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
EVH held a pick with his middle finger and thumb

MAB holds his pick like...the wierdest way possible...

You should see Marty Friedman.. he has his wrist at an almost 90 degree angle
I use my thumb and index finger. My thumb angles the pick over my index which is good for fast alternate picking. It all comes down to what is most comfortable for you. If your way feels good then stick with it
Quote by Hidde

Thanks

eddie van halen and james hetfield hold their pics like this, and they kick ass

to each his own
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
i hold my pick a really weird way i think
i play it with one of the sides of the pick (not the pointy side)
better pick control i think