Page 1 of 2
most will, i would recomend the big muff.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
most will work to varying degrees. my friend claims i wrecked his ds-1 pedal when i ran it through my bass.
Quote by SocKo?
most will work to varying degrees. my friend claims i wrecked his ds-1 pedal when i ran it through my bass.

your friends retarded
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by SocKo?

my teacher freaks out on me when i use the boss guitar dist pedal thru the bass at school. i dont kno y... dumb old man

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I don't know how many times this questions is answered, but yes guitar pedals do work.

*Hears fitz approaching*
Yes, it's fun too. It's what my warlock is for.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
It will work, but it definitely won't sound as well as a bass pedal would on bass.

It's going to murder your low end, it'll be like you playing a guitar. But they're still really fun to mess around with. I've got some of my friend's stuff lying around that I play with sometimes, a Washburn distortion, Digitech Metal Master, Cry Baby Wah, a few other things.

/sum up paragraph/

It's doable, and often fun to do, but not very practical.
^^^^ haha yea i play with my buddies octave pedal alot its fun.... he has like 1 or 2 octaves each way, then a octavew divider, then like 24 pre set harmonies.... but with the bass and any one of them on you can like only play one note at a time then it jsut dosent make a sound unless its one note

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by rage6945

I agree. The big muff fuzz pedal is awesome. It was the first pedal I bought. Just a random pedal purchase. Then I read somewhere that Cliff Burton used one for anesthesia pulling teeth. I also own a Marshall Jackhammer distortion/overdrive. The overdrive sounds wicked, but I prefer the bigmuff.

I tried the a couple of my friends guitar effects like Zakk Wylde MXR O/D, a signal flex EQ distortion and a metalmaster something or other. Can't remeber the name. It was black had red writing didn't really like it so i didn't pay attention to the name.
Quote by rage6945

*shines fitz flame light*

Yeah honestly I don't have an opinion on the muff specifically, bass distortions will sound better on bass than guitar distortions. End of story.
the guy does make a point. Things that are made specifically for bass would sound a lot better then things that are made for guitar.
The "pedal" with red writing on it is the "Death Metal Distortion", arguably the most noob pedal ever created. That and the Boss "metalcore" pedal. Anytime a pedal has a genre of music on it, it's obvious the company is trying to drag in the beginning guitarist who is a fan of said genre.

Safe to say, most metal pioneers weren't using Digitech Death Metal pedals -_-
Quote by rage6945

Don't want to sound like fitz, but after buying an Ibanez PD7, I've realized that my Big Muff does sound a bit like **** compared to the PD7. Some low end and presence is actually lost, and it makes me sad that I loved it so much.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Don't want to sound like fitz, but after buying an Ibanez PD7, I've realized that my Big Muff does sound a bit like **** compared to the PD7. Some low end and presence is actually lost, and it makes me sad that I loved it so much.

I've realised this too, I used to love my Big Muff, but now thanks to fitzys constant plugging I felt I had to go and try that damn Fulltone Bass Drive, all I can say really is I'm going back to the shop ASAP to buy one and selling my brother my Muff so it will take it's rightful place in the pedal chain of a guitar.

Damn you Fitzy!!!

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
a guitar dist pedal will work but, a guitar dist is a guitar dist and bass dist is a bass dist.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Buy a bass distortion, seriously. A guitar distortion will remove your low end like a bitch. You're a bassist, why lose the frequencies that you're supposed to provide?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Buy a bass distortion, seriously. A guitar distortion will remove your low end like a bitch. You're a bassist, why lose the frequencies that you're supposed to provide?

See as above.

And have a look at Boss and Fulltone,both very good pedals (though the Boss is more fuzz the OD)
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Big Muff for the Lemmy/Cliff Burton type sound. I have an old Marshall Shredmaster which works equally well on guitar or bass, but they're hard to find now, so the Jackhammer or Guv'nor might work. For the safe choice, buy a bass-specific one.
Quote by indie-bassist
I've realised this too, I used to love my Big Muff, but now thanks to fitzys constant plugging I felt I had to go and try that damn Fulltone Bass Drive, all I can say really is I'm going back to the shop ASAP to buy one and selling my brother my Muff so it will take it's rightful place in the pedal chain of a guitar.

Damn you Fitzy!!!

Well if you use the Big Muff on Ba... wait a sec. Nevermind, everyone's getting the point. Read the quote under my avatar. They make pedals for basses for a reason.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I really do get annoyed at people who use guitar pedals on bass. A few might work alright, but it's really just smarter to buy a bass pedal. The guitar pedals, like everything else that is designed for guitar and not bass, are designed for higher frequencies. Some might not be that limited, but I have an Ibanez guitar distortion pedal, and it sounds like absolute crap with my bass. Using guitar pedals on bass also seems to depend on the amp you're using as well. That pedal sounds kind of alright with my Peavy, but if I put it into my Fender (which is a much better amplifier), I just get a bunch of feedback. Now, sure, there are going to be some higher quality guitar pedals, but it's still smarter to use a bass pedal. There are some cooler effects for bass, anyways. I just got an Electro-Harmonix "Bassballs" Twin Filter, and it sounds really good, and better than most guitar distorters. I also got a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver, and it's really good too, even though I have to play around with it a bit more to get exactly what I want.

But there's really no point in using a guitar pedal on bass instead of a bass pedal.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
ok i guess we've come to the conclusion that they will work...

but why not just get a pedal specifically designed for the instrument? no doubt that bass pedals sound better with basses than guitar ones.
It Should.
I have a LYON Wah pedal that is for guitar, it works well.

my friend claims i wrecked his ds-1 pedal when i ran it through my bass.
Quote by basser4ever123
It Should.
I have a LYON Wah pedal that is for guitar, it works well.

Have you ever played (with it) in a band (setting)?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Have you ever played (with it) in a band (setting)?

I used to use a GCB-95 in a band setting...Worked fine, that said, not nearly as well as my 105Q does. I thought it was just distorion and fuzz pedals you had a problem with?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
I used to use a GCB-95 in a band setting...Worked fine, that said, not nearly as well as my 105Q does. I thought it was just distorion and fuzz pedals you had a problem with?

To make it simpler, I have problems with Cliff's entire setup.

EDIT: You could hear yourself with the GCB-95? Hell, I couldn't even hear myself with the GCB-100, the bass version.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Bass distortion is retarded....why do they bother making separate pedals when guitar distortion does the same damn thing?

(very sarcastic...fitzy is gonna kill me)
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Any guitar pedal will work on bass, its a matter of how well. Most involving the range of sound, such as a wah pedal, won't work too well though.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
i really wish there were more pedals for bass besides Chorus, SythnWah, overdrive, compression and eq....
Quote by even deeper
i really wish there were more pedals for bass besides Chorus, SythnWah, overdrive, compression and eq....

Try some filters, like the Bassballs pedal I mentioned. I guess it's just a type of distortion, but it sounds so much different than regular distortion.

And if you get the right processor or driver, you can get a wide variety of sound.

Oh, and flangers work on bass, too.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Loopers are incredibly fun to play with.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
What gets me, is that quite often, the only real difference between a guitar pedal and a bass pedal is a few component values altered to move the effective range down the frequencies. So that's worth 10-15% extra cost? Hmmm...
Quote by rage6945

Prepare to be destroyed by thefitz.

EDIT: Too late.
Quote by watchingmefall
You just have too look very carefully or you can make you own.

Or go to the EBS website.

Or get a blender pedal and use any bloody effect you want (or route your effects in your effects loop if it has a wet/dry knob).

EDIT: The effects loop solution doesn't work well with distortions since distortions are supposed to be pre-EQ effects.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 1, 2007,
i bought a guitar dist pedal yesterday for my bass, and if you set the little knobs right you can make it sound good
Page 1 of 2