I've been practicing my legato in small amounts lately, to introduce myself to it better. Now that I got the proper technique down, I'm wanting to expand myself outside of scales... as that's all I've been running is parts of scales or whole scales...

So, like, to get to the actual point of this thread:

I'm looking for some interesting, yet fairly (very) easy patterns utilizing the scales, but not just running up and back again.

Also, if you possibly could find the time, I'm also looking for some easy legato licks from songs, so if you could suggest the song and the measure/time it begins, I would be most appreciative.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
um, I'm speaking in terms of "beginners" area of leago, petrucci's stuff isn't exactly beginner, lol.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
practice your trills i guess, it'll put strength in your hand/fingers.
Oi...
I'm just asking for patterns, licks, et cetera.

(Sorry, I didn't mean to come off the wrong way with the previous version of this post)

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Sep 30, 2007,
haha ok, Alex Skolnick from Testament is a very good legato player. although a bit more advanced, check out 'return to serenity' or 'as the seasons grey'. they have some decent beginner licks
Cool, ok. I'll get on that.

But as far as patterns go, could you or anyone recommend one or more patterns to apply to a scale to get some interesting results?

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
go to the guitarworld website and there are some ritchie kotzen licks involving legato, some of the passages are long, check out some of kotzens stuff aswell, he has very fluid legato
Try using odd groups of notes, such as groups of 5s, 7s, 11s, 13 etc. You'll probably have to start at a really slow tempo with the higher groups and build it up.
Also, try incorporating legato with slides, it's an interesting and effective to get from one part of the neck to another.

EDIT: Wide intervals are fun to, try doing 4 note per string legato. It made me look at the neck in a whole different way. Especially when playing scales.
Last edited by bigmanwithanaxe at Sep 30, 2007,
Yeah, I'll show you my favorite legato lick, by Steve Vai (oh yeah. i'm seeing him tonight, i'm awesome.). Sorry to give you such high caliber stuff like everyone else, but really legato I think is the kind of thing that you shouldn't really hold back on, it's easy to get good speed with it. Basically you don't really need to start with easy licks, just find harder ones and work on them longer.. anyways, from Tender Surrender, there are a couple great legato licks, one of which being: (paste into notepad or with a monotype font)

E-----------------------------------------12h15h12---------/19p17--^20--
B-------------------------------10/12h13------------13p12---------------
G-------------------------9h12------------------------------------------
D-----------------7/9h10------------------------------------------------
A----------7h10---------------------------------------------------------
E--10\7h8---------------------------------------------------------------

this appears at 2:30 in the song. good luck!
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station
E-----------------------------------------12h15h12---------/19p17--^20--
B-------------------------------10/12h13------------13p12---------------
G-------------------------9h12------------------------------------------
D-----------------7/9h10------------------------------------------------
A----------7h10---------------------------------------------------------
E--10\7h8---------------------------------------------------------------

Also, make sure your legato is clean. It can either be sonic perfection, or a complete disaster. That is, you hit other strings, and they ring out, etc
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Oh yea, that stuff can get out of hand quickly if you are not clean in your execution.

And thanks.

It's not that legato isn't easy, it's that right now I'm quite slow overall... like I can't get past 80-90bpm (16th notes). Part of the reason I'm still slow is I don't have a set of things to practice beyond the bland stuff (scales up and down and repeat excessively).

BTW:

I'll work on getting those albums as soon as I can so that I can hear those tracks. But definatly let me know if It's in the youtube video of it too. My only source of stuff like that atm, besides Google video.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Sep 30, 2007,
You can take any picking lick and just play it legato. Paul Gilbert says he never starting really picking until he'd been playing for about 9 years and that it helped him a lot, so clearly he was doing a lot of legato runs. If you want a specific lick then practice his crazy three note per string run up the neck at the end of Technical Difficulties. Slow it down of course, and ignore the picking pattern.

You also might want to just do some tapping exercises, which will build finger strength. Actually, practice trills and don't ever stop.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
thanks for the vid, but exactly what I've already been working on... I'm looking to go beyond a ****ing scale up and down, lmao. Sorry to be so abrupt.. but I'm just trying to further myself, and you guys keep showing me stuff that I can already do and have done for over a year mostly..... (with the exception of that Vai stuff and what not...

And how am I supposed to make something that is normally picked "legato"?

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
And how am I supposed to make something that is normally picked "legato"?

You don't pick it, you use hammer-ons and pull-offs.
E.g

|---------------|
|---------------|
|---------------|
|---------------|
|---------------|
|-1-2-3-4-3-2-1-|

Legato, it would be:

|---------------|
|---------------|
|---------------|
|---------------|
|---------------|
|-1h2h3h4p3p2p1-|
Learn to hammer on from nowhere, so your pickinghand can focus on tapping.
Well, I wasn't talking about just runing up and down a string, but legato'ing a song lick that uses chords and etc.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Apply these to a 3 note per string scale

1-2-3-2-1-2-3

another..

3-2-1-2-3-2-1

I would normally use the first sequence to accend, the second to decend. Once you get these sequences down you can mix in some "trills" between 2 notes as well, some postiton shifts, maybe string skips.. ect.. and as long as you can trill between any 2 fingers you should be set for legato. keep it rock .. not "shred" think EVH
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Really don't know any van halen... Except the cheezy 80's synth of Jump... Not that I don't like it , the guitar rocks. I'm just not a huge synth fan, unless it's a moog.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Oct 3, 2007,
LoL I have to admit I dont really like any of the songs!.. apart from eruption and that kinks cover! but watching him play solo's on youtube is cool!, he's a real player y'know and a great showman..

... he's my Idol now for live playing and showmanship and those I think are the most important things!

Hope those idea's were some help. chris
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Just listen to some stuff by the master of legato, Allan Holdsworth, try and pick out licks. Also listen to Shawn lane for interesting ways of going through scales in different groupings.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
Oh, and JFYI: The reasoning behind why I don't just go out and get the tab for ... oh say... Midnight (Satch), well is that I can't stand waiting for my skills to build up to play something when I have it right in front of me. I just sit there wishing day after day that I could play it at proper speed and accuracy. I learned that lesson in getting a Hendrix tab book. It bugs me to death that I can't play it. Just like right now, that Hendrix book is right next to me on the floor... begging me to break it out and learn some Hendrix, but that **** is WAY beyond me ATM.

And that holdsworth must be an acquired taste, as that just sounded like random notes/scales to me... When I think of insane scales, I think of Petrucci... and btw, I couldn't even finish that video... I mean, it sounded almost like I would if I were to attempt that, only I'd be a ton sloppier and slower, lol. At least thats my take on it, I'm sure we differ greatly.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Oct 5, 2007,
U know... I wonder what is out there for me to find... I know lots is out there... but .... heh.....

Anyways. I'm just wondering now, how fast is fast in the world of van halen and artists like them. In listening to satch, vai, and now van halen's full jump video... I'm wondering if I'm not that far from most of their stuff, and if I'm now ready for that area of legato work...

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
---5---------------5---------
-----8-7-5---5-7-8-----------
-----------7-----------------
-----------------------------

----------6-7-10-7-6---------
---5-8-10------------10-8-5--
I like those ones.
Do modes, pentatonics, etc. Move away from the same scale that you're doing over and over again.
the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
e|8p7p5-5---------
B|-----8-8p7p5----
G|-------------7-5~
D|----------------
A|----------------
E|----------------

This is a Paul Gilbert lick in A Dorian. Paul Gilbert's whole approach is to get a good balance between picking and legato (usually meaning getting away with as much legato as possible!), so checking out any of his stuff is a great start.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Just learn your scales PROPERLY - of course running up and down and a single position is boring. Every scale exists all over the fretboard, so if you know your theory you can take the basic scale pattern and move it anywhere, all you need to do is use different instances of the root note as your base. Also scales go down as well as up, so you if you have notes below your root you can continue the pattern backwards.

It's extremely hard, not to mention pointless, to memorize a scale as finger positions across the entire fretboard. By learning the notes, and also the pattern of intervals, it's far easier to visualise where the next note should be. Also pay close attention to the sound of everything you play. You eventually learn to recognise what the next note should sound like, and if you already know what the intervals sound like then it's relativrly esay to progress up and down the neck. Just remember that your ears are more important than your fingers where scales are concerened.
That knowledge is what allows the likes of Satriani to go on those long, meandering legato runs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, I did study the CAGED theory (Fretboard Logic series), so I do know about the expansion of the scales above and below the "scale box" so to speak, and how to move it around the neck. I've been doing modes a lot as of lately actually. If you check my blog, you can see my entire plan and how it's progressing, but I don't want this to turn into any advertising... so heh...

I'll try those licks out you guys showed me too.

I've also gotten a hold of the Joe Satraini Guitar Secrets book, so I'm going over things from that too now.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I like doing arpeggios with only legato, and moving them around and whatnot
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
If I could Fly - Joe Satriani is pretty simple legato.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
try some george lynch licks, just look em up on here or google him. He is a great legato player. Start with his 'gothic octave' and then maybe look into a few of his songs, or dokken songs where he would play some fills or solos.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
I know this topic is kind of old, but I myself have been coming up with some legato exercises, so I figured I'd post some.

The first one is simply the a natural minor scale. There are some fairly difficult stretches in it, but just work on it and you'll get it. The second one is a very common E minor pentatonic lick. The last two require almost no picking whatsoever, but they're not that difficult.

Work on those, and I'm sure you'll see improvement in your legato playing.