Page 1 of 3
okay, this is pertaining to anything astronomical.
whether it be stars, planets, nebulas, theories, laws, or anything else that has to do with the universe/galaxies.

discuss!

to start this off,
The theory of an infinite universe.

what do you have to say about this?
id guess that 99% of astronomers believe its infinite and keeps expanding.

discuss this
Last edited by MrDURPEEDURP at Sep 30, 2007,
Did you all know that we are children of the stars???

My Earth Science teacher taught me that last year.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP

what do you have to say about this?
id guess that 99% of astronomers believe its infinate and keeps expanding.

discuss this

Well if it keeps expanding then it isn't infinite.
Quote by burrit0
Did you all know that we are children of the stars???

My Earth Science teacher taught me that last year.

i always knew my REAL father had to be Ronnie James Dio!!!
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
i made this thread a while ago, and i made a group http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/astroclub/
Quote by Rebourne
What is this "Death Rock" you speak of?

Quote by revolutionplz
I will poop on your soul if you ever have the audacity to type those words towards me again.

Don't think I won't.
one thing, not really about astronomy, but science in general, everything is made out of atoms, all atoms are made out of protons, neutrons and electrons, protons and neutrons are made of leptons and quarks, electrons are quarks.... it just keeps going on.

And what I wanna know is, what the hell is EVERYTHING MADE OF?> lol but seriously. you can make one element a different element by adding/removing protons/neutrons... so does that mean that everything is made of ...the same thing?
Quote by NorseGodofRock

no... if it keeps expandning, it can be either infinite or finite..
entropy= amount of disorder in the universe

law 1: entropy increases with time

law 2: in order for structures to exist, balance must be met. like in a chemical equation, you have to balance it out, other wise it doesnt work

my theory: due to the laws above, the universe as we know it must end. no more galaxies, stars, life. there will be waste from the stuff we have now, the leftover stuff from chemical reactions
Quote by Rebourne

Quote by revolutionplz
I will poop on your soul if you ever have the audacity to type those words towards me again.

Don't think I won't.
this stuff confuses me.

*leaves*
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
or we can just worry abut the problems that our own world has, god knows we have plenty of things to deal with right here on this earth that mean much much more to each of us individually than if the universe is infinite or not
nasa found giant squids on a moon of a planet, like this week.
thats what i was told
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
I have found in reading this post that you are lacking the intelligence of a normal person.
you need serious help, possibly involving a screwdriver, and a large piece of wood.
please, be deceased now.
thank you

Quote by cpick2014
or we can just worry abut the problems that our own world has, god knows we have plenty of things to deal with right here on this earth that mean much much more to each of us individually than if the universe is infinite or not

lol thats true... the universe could end in any second but know one would know it.
Quote by homo-erectus
one thing, not really about astronomy, but science in general, everything is made out of atoms, all atoms are made out of protons, neutrons and electrons, protons and neutrons are made of leptons and quarks, electrons are quarks.... it just keeps going on.

And what I wanna know is, what the hell is EVERYTHING MADE OF?> lol but seriously. you can make one element a different element by adding/removing protons/neutrons... so does that mean that everything is made of ...the same thing?

only add protons will change it, and yes, basically, its all the same thing. but that proton that makes it different changes many things about it
Quote by Rebourne

Quote by revolutionplz

Don't think I won't.
Quote by NorseGodofRock

Infinite: Having no boundaries or limits.

well then, if something keeps expanding indefinately, then doesn't it not have a definate BOUNDARY or LIMIT?
Quote by orpheus171
nasa found giant squids on a moon of a planet, like this week.
thats what i was told

definitely not true...lol
i think that we are part of the infection in a pimple on someones ass...it fits..
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
Quote by homo-erectus

Pretty much. But does it matter?
I bet none of you know about space amoebas.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Pretty much. But does it matter?

thank you. i totally agree. it does not matter one bit. none of this does. it means absolutely nothing to the people trying to live their lives from day to day. it means nothing
Quote by cpick2014
thank you. i totally agree. it does not matter one bit. none of this does. it means absolutely nothing to the people trying to live their lives from day to day. it means nothing

well its interesting...if you dont care then you dont care...
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP

well then, if something keeps expanding indefinately, then doesn't it not have a definate BOUNDARY or LIMIT?

If it is expanding, it is implied that it is growing larger. If it is growing larger, then the universe's present incarnation must be bigger then what it was in the past. Since one infinity can be no larger then another infinity, I fail to see how its "infinite".
Quote by homo-erectus
well its interesting...if you dont care then you dont care...

it will when the earth is ****ed and we have to go to mars to live, and yes its possible right now. with all the money the u.s. spends on iraq, we could have a medium sized city on mars
Quote by Rebourne

Quote by revolutionplz

Don't think I won't.
Quote by tai1221
it will when the earth is ****ed and we have to go to mars to live, and yes its possible right now. with all the money the u.s. spends on iraq, we could have a medium sized city on mars

400 billion isn't enough to put a city on mars. Not even CLOSE. Maybe enough for a few manned missions, but a city? No ****ing way.

Why focus on moving to other planets? Why not, instead, worry about fixing our own first before we go **** on the rest of them?
Quote by NorseGodofRock
400 billion isn't enough to put a city on mars. Not even CLOSE. Maybe enough for a few manned missions, but a city? No ****ing way.

Why focus on moving to other planets? Why not, instead, worry about fixing our own first before we go **** on the rest of them?

first of all, our planet doesnt have to be ****ed by us, it could be hit by an asteroid. look up apophis, thats a serious threat. and we have the technology, we have plans for mars. maybe you dont realise what almost half a trillion dollars can do for space.
Quote by Rebourne

Quote by revolutionplz

Don't think I won't.
Quote by tai1221
first of all, our planet doesnt have to be ****ed by us, and we have the technology, we have plans for mars. maybe you dont realise what almost half a trillion dollars can do for space.

Maybe you don't realize what 400 billion can do for famine and disease in Africa, for medical research, for education, for poverty, for environmental protection? Space is soon to be the realm of private organizations and thank God in heaven for that, NASA is a money drain and just as much a waste of tax dollars as the Iraq war.
Quote by tai1221

lol?
do you realize how much it costs to send ONE rocket that can only fit 6 people on it?!
and besides, the amount of essentials needed to be put on that to fit a daily routine of a normal diet and how much THAT would cost and space it would take up in that shuttle? and also the exercise equipment needed to keep the only 6 people that fit in shuttle, from keeping their bones from becoming brittle, or keeping them from developing osteoporosis?!

you fail.
besides, the world would only send the healthiest, smartest, and young (like from 18-25 id presume) to do such a thing if it was essential, which it almost is seeing how global warming is going to end Europe, causing a massive migration, and more starvation, and yadayadayada.

and, would humans be able to even breathe there?
there's also no natural resources.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
lol?
do you realize how much it costs to send ONE rocket that can only fit 6 people on it?!
and besides, the amount of essentials needed to be put on that to fit a daily routine of a normal diet and how much THAT would cost and space it would take up in that shuttle? and also the exercise equipment needed to keep the only 6 people that fit in shuttle, from keeping their bones from becoming brittle, or keeping them from developing osteoporosis?!

you fail.
besides, the world would only send the healthiest, smartest, and young (like from 18-25 id presume) to do such a thing if it was essential, which it almost is seeing how global warming is going to end Europe, causing a massive migration, and more starvation, and yadayadayada.

and, would humans be able to even breathe there?
there's also no natural resources.
are you all retarded? there is water on mars, lots of it! thats all we need to live, we can use that to make air, and we would have to live underground. just nvm, half of you dont understand my 2nd post here about entropy, i dont expect anyone of you to get what im saying
Quote by Rebourne

Quote by revolutionplz

Don't think I won't.
One of Saturn's moons...Enceladus? Has ice geysers which could be water.
Quote by H^2

Wise words Trashfan.

trashfan
Quote by Chubbychunks
It's not going to be that great. Although particle physics does give me a hadron.
Quote by tai1221
are you all retarded? there is water on mars, lots of it! thats all we need to live, we can use that to make air, and we would have to live underground. just nvm, half of you dont understand my 2nd post here about entropy, i dont expect anyone of you to get what im saying

Since what your saying is 100% grade A bull****, I doubt YOU get what your saying. Why argue the only point of his thats even semi-wrong when you know the rest of it owns your face?

There is, obviously, natural resources enough to sustain life on Mars, but they are not in the correct form to sustain life without extensive development and terraforming, neither of which can be performed for 400 billion (or, realistically, for any amount of money currently as our technology is just not that efficient yet). Not to mention the distance from the sun is crippling at best and the gravity so light it would have devastating health effects on permanent residents.

We could hardly get man on mars for 400 billion, how could we get a city? The money is better spent solving problems HERE on EARTH, not satisfying tai's childish imagination. Leave space flight to the private companies and quit taking my money.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Sep 30, 2007,
What, exactly, is the purpose of a black hole?
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Quote by K-Lizzle
What, exactly, is the purpose of a black hole?

To fill the space between Paris Hilton's legs.
Quote by thrashfan
One of Saturn's moons...Enceladus? Has ice geysers which could be water.

Europa i think its called. Yeah its totally covered in ice and its beging to melt apparently.
I've always been interested in black holes. Why are they there? What do they come from? I've read that they're formed when stars explode, but I don't really understand how that could produce such a strong vacuum of gravity.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Quote by K-Lizzle
I've always been interested in black holes. Why are they there? What do they come from? I've read that they're formed when stars explode, but I don't really understand how that could produce such a strong vacuum of gravity.

When a star of substantial mass fails to go supernova it falls in on itself , by the shear amout of gravitational pull it has. And it sucks the outer layers of the star in on it? does that make sense? so all thats sucked in by it reaches the core of the star (the black hole that we see) where the gravity is ,and gets compressed by the gravitaional pull of the stars core. So its not a gateway through to another universe/dimension/whatever just an incredibly destructive force that smashes everything into atoms. Or something.
Quote by NorseGodofRock

I suppose time wouldn't be considered infinite by that logic?
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Since what your saying is 100% grade A bull****, I doubt YOU get what your saying. Why argue the only point of his thats even semi-wrong when you know the rest of it owns your face?

There is, obviously, natural resources enough to sustain life on Mars, but they are not in the correct form to sustain life without extensive development and terraforming, neither of which can be performed for 400 billion (or, realistically, for any amount of money currently as our technology is just not that efficient yet). Not to mention the distance from the sun is crippling at best and the gravity so light it would have devastating health effects on permanent residents.

We could hardly get man on mars for 400 billion, how could we get a city? The money is better spent solving problems HERE on EARTH, not satisfying tai's childish imagination. Leave space flight to the private companies and quit taking my money.

I agree. I'm curious at to what gives this Tai guy the authority to completely throw out anyone else's opinion when he is obviously wrong about 400 billion dollars being sufficiate to inhabit Mars (to an extent). What I don't necessrily agree on, and this is if you are completely against the idea, is to take space exploration into consideration. I completely agree that this war (which actually the numbers are up to one trillion since billions are spent a week on the war) is a complete waste of time, money, and more importantly--lives. But that is a different story. I would love to see the impacts of what money like that could do for the environment and human productivity. Anyways, trying to grasp how many light-years even the closest star is to us is so amazing. I do wonder if people could even grasp the truths about it.
Not really an astronomy fan, but this is what I can see from my window :

Not my pic btw, I forgot my camera at my appartment... -_-'
Page 1 of 3