Hey guys, what's a good Metal pedal?

I've considered the Boss MT-2 and the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff.

I've sampled the MT-2, but I've heard much about the Metal Muff and so many say its the best.

I like to play speed metal, Megadethish type stuff, and I like my solos to have lots of screechy bends. The sound needs to be the best definition of the word heavy.

What do you all think?
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Invent it. =]
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
I reeeeaaaally like my Uber Metal. You can get so many different tones out it, plus it has 2 built-in noise gates. Oh and the Tonecore pedals are wicked cool because of this.
sell your avt and spider....buy a 5150 combo. sound tons better. with no need for a metal pedal . just my two cents
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Keep the money, sell the AVT.
Buy a hi-gain tube amp.

Amp distortion > Pedal distortion.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
^ +2 to what i said. lol

[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
i have a death metal pedal thats really good for metal
My Rig

Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Frank)
Montana CL34
Squire Strat

Effects
DigiTECH DEATH METAL
dunlop crybaby
Line6 Toneport UX1

amps
Marshall MG15CD
marshall m-4
yeah if you can manage to get a good second hand tube amp for whatever you get if you sell the AVT and i guess the Spider can pay for the tax or shipping... but seriously just look around a little bit. try out the 5150 or 6505 for certain, see if you can't get the combo form. maybe a XXX or a cheap second hand Mesa. and ive heard things about the Vox Valvetronix-XL. looking around is your best bet, we can only direct your search.
Ok well i LOVE megadeth (See sig) and i have the MT-2 (See sig) and i can say i pull off a decent megadeth-ish tone with this pedal despite my crappy amp.

if you dont have the funds for a good amp then you can buy the MT-2 and put off buying a new amp for awhile as you will still get a good tone from said pedal.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Anyone who's recommended something else so far over the metal muff has obviously not played it. Metal Muff is the best one out of the ones been said so far, but I'd also say just sell the amps and buy a new tube amp that will get you the tone you want by itself.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^^ Admitted i haven't played the metal muff but thats why i didn't comment on it. I was merely speaking about my own experience with the MT-2.

A new amp would be for the best but if your set on a pedal then i can say that the MT-2 works well with thrashy megadeth stuff.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I own a MT-2 and a metal muff.... Naturally I bought my metal muff after my MT-2. I used my mt-2 for soldering practice... But thats not completly true, I tried to mod it and broke it. But in all honesty it sounds better broken... I.E: Turned off...

After playing my metal muff, theres no need for my mt-2... although I guess I coulda sold it for like 20 bucks... hehe oh well. The metal muff's top boost can get great highs, and a really thick crunch, where at the same time you can turn off your top boost and get that really low, black sabbath sound that he uses for some of his stuff.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by revengerfr
i have a death metal pedal thats really good for metal

Warning, don't take advice on Metal tones from the guy playing a Squier into an MG.

While he could sell his amps for a nice beautiful used 5150, I don't suppose he wants to go through the trouble. Yes, I could get enough cash for a 5150 if I sold both my amps and mabye a guitar or two, and it would sound better than my current rig, but that's a bleeding lot of trouble to go through, and mabye he just likes his stuff like I do!

So, if you're looking for a metal pedal, the answer is the Metal Muff (two button kind with switchable top boost). Try one, and you'll love it.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

So, if you're looking for a metal pedal, the answer is the Metal Muff (two button kind with switchable top boost). Try one, and you'll love it.

I was wondering if I needed to get the top dog or one of the cheaper MM's. Which one are you talking about..........

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Micro-Metal-Muff-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150128

or?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Nano-Pocket-Metal-Muff-Distortion-?sku=150099
id recommend the bigger one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339

the first one you listed does have top boost, but with this one you have much more control of the level of top boost, and EQ built into the pedal
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
id recommend the bigger one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339

the first one you listed does have top boost, but with this one you have much more control of the level of top boost, and EQ built into the pedal

Kinda what I thought..........the price diff is only $26 US.

I see that you have one and after reading your previous posts in which you said that it does it job at metal and can be adjusted "down" for Mr. Iommni's sound, that sold it as that was what I was looking for.

Thanks...........BD

EDIT....Just ordered........we will see [er..hear] soon.
Last edited by BIGD2 at Sep 30, 2007,