Hey guys, I was just looking at the product page for the Les Paul Custom on Gibsoncustom.com and it says it has a "weight relieved mahogany back" under the specs. Now I heard that Gibson was going to start chambering like, all of there guitars starting 2007, so would the new 2007 Gibson Les Paul Customs that are rolled out actually be chambered? How cool would that be? If someone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.
^i think they already are chambered. but i guess they're doing it more now? like a semi hollow? dunno. but im expecting something like brian may's guitar. lol.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I thought the Custom Shop models were supposed to remain solid mahogany, or maybe it was only for the histortic reissues?
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
I thought the Custom Shop models were supposed to remain solid mahogany, or maybe it was only for the histortic reissues?

Yeah, I think thats probably just for the VOS models.

I'm seriously considering just saving up and getting a real Custom when I can, so I was just wondering if this was true! I'd love to have a Les Paul Custom but I'd also love for it not to be 15 lbs. :P
Well if they aren't chambered I still think you could find yourself a light one if you cherry picked through a bunch.
I thought that'll sound like a hollow body?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
if you can't "sling" a SOLID Les Paul then I suggest a flute. I've slung em' since the 70's - cowboy up. I'm 55 years old and guarantee I could still play 2 sets a night with mine - I'm 150 lbs too so I'm not that big.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Always X-ray a Gibson before you buy it.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by strangedogs
if you can't "sling" a SOLID Les Paul then I suggest a flute. I've slung em' since the 70's - cowboy up. I'm 55 years old and guarantee I could still play 2 sets a night with mine - I'm 150 lbs too so I'm not that big.

I'm glad you can carry a Les Paul -- so can I. I just find a lighter guitar more comfortable, I don't know about you. If I'm gonna drop 3500 on a guitar I want to be in love with it.
You can't compare the tone of a thick mahogany bodied LP. You just can't, man. A thing of weight, and beauty!
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Gibson claims that the chambering does not affect the tone. They have scientifically determined where and how much to chamber and still get the solid mahogany tone. They claim to have checked it with an occilliscope and it's virtually identical. Whether you believe them or not is up to you. I have been GASing for a Les Paul DC for years, and they have always been chambered.
I don't think the VOS are going to be chambered. But I do know they are made of lighter wood or some shizzle like that. As for the regular custom shops, I dunno about them.
Be cool.
It's too bad they can't really find that great old growth mahogany they used to use. That stuff was pretty light for what it is. I've played a stock '52 before and it was pretty light weight. The lighter the wood usually means less water content in the wood and a more resonant tone. That's why my opinion is heavy guitar=bad tone.
the chambered means they have a big channel down the middle of the guitars for wire, and some holes under that are covered by the top piece of wood i believe
when I have enough for my dream guitar, (a Gibson Les paul Custom, Heritage Cherry Sunburst) I'll mae sure to get a 90's used or something

the whole swiss cheese idea is bull**** to me
The thing about all of the chambering they've been doing is that it makes them lose their distinctive tone, or so I've heard. For example, the Les Paul Supreme, which is heavily chanbered, supposedly does not have the sustain or tone of a real Les Paul. Unfortunately, Gibson's chambering all Les Pauls now, with the exception of their VOS custom shop reissues, so real Les Paul tone will be even more expensive to obtain.
Old Chambering...

New Chambering...

As you can see, the new chamber design pretty much makes it a full semi-hollow without f-holes. The guitar shown above in the x-ray is a BFG, but from what I've read the same chambering is being done on all Les Pauls from this point on except the vintage series and custom shop models.
Whoa! That's quite a bit of chambering!

Anyway, I guess my actual question was since the Les Paul Custom page said "weight relieved mahogany back", if that meant it was chambered like you guys are showing in the photos.
'Weight relieved' =/= full chambering like the examples given.

'Weight relieving' is just a series of smaller holes, and also a treatment given to the wood itself, and really does have such a small effect on the tone, you'd barely notice it; though it also has very little effect on the weight either, so I don't know why they bother.

Actual 'chambering' is much more drastic, as shown in the above posted examples.

Normally, assume the instrument is weight relieved, unless it specifically says 'chambered'.