Page 1 of 2
hey i just bought a sg II is there any bridge that will fit on it so i can put a whammy bar. i dont mind if it messes with the tuning i just want a whammy !!!!
bigsby?

u'd be better off buying a floyd rose equipped guitar though. you don't wanna ruin ur sg man.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by mr_tobogan_28
hey i just bought a sg II is there any bridge that will fit on it so i can put a whammy bar. i dont mind if it messes with the tuning i just want a whammy !!!!

ALWAYS worry about tuning.
i dont want the floyd rose range dont like em to hard to string and tune i just want a standard whammy like what you get on strats
^Leo Fender called it "tremolo", and i think it's more like vibrato. whammy makes it sound like relaly big dive bombs and stuff.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yer well is there a bridge that can fit the "tremolo" and fit on my sg if so what is the model
just get bigsby. and don't try dive bombing on those.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yea but how does it change the sound when u play? i want a vibrato sort sound that i get with my strat
its the same as strat's tremolo basically.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
its just they are hell big look pretty weird i dont rekon it would suit my sg are u sure i cant just change the bridge on it to one that fits a tremolo
do u know waht's under a tremolo bridge? it's a humongous block under it. u have to rout out so much wood if ur gonna do that. i would get a bigsby. seriously.
http://www.davesguitar.com/product/C05348.JPG
http://www.davesguitar.com/product/C207310.JPG
no?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the top one is nice how the handle is small like a whammy but that second ones they are the ones i have seen i hate em ..... well do have a site where i can buy a bigsy to fit my sg and if possible a link to a tutorial on installing them or if i need a shop to do it for me just say but yea just a little one like the top one
Quote by mr_tobogan_28
its just they are hell big look pretty weird i dont rekon it would suit my sg are u sure i cant just change the bridge on it to one that fits a tremolo

You can't do a strat style floating bridge unless you want to hack a hole through the middle of your guitar. Bigsby style bridges are the go if you want to surface mount your trem.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
^^u drill couple of holes and screw'em in. u already have tune-o-matic bridge holes so i think u can just swap'em or sumtin with the bridge that comes with it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ok so i just looked at bigsbyguitars.com and it says that only three of the bigsby can fit on my sg a b5 b50 and b500 one problem they have the chunky handle is there one that has a small handle or can u buy dif handles and change them?
can't u just go to a metal/crafter place and reshape it?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
hmmm yer your right that would probaly work ... so can u buy the bigsby bridge anywhere for cheap ???
*slaps forehead* Okay even though this is not helpful to your situation, you arent ready for a tremolo.

You obviously saw a video of Herman Li or someone similar and thought "Wow Cool I want to do that stuff" ala, everyone who's like this.

What could you possibly need a tremolo on your guitar for?

I'm assuming you wont want to use it for the stuff it can handle, such as SRV style Vibrato or Frank Zappa-esque bigsby use so why not just wait til you're a bit more experianced?

And Floyd Rose style ones arent difficult to string or tune you only say that cos you heard it, you've never tuned or strung a floyd rose equipped guitar, I can tell. My Ibanez takes. . the whole of 2 extra seconds to tune cos all that I need to do is unlock the nut, and I re-strings very very fast on it, in fact faster than I re-strung my old Dean V (which was tune-omatic).
. . you need to do research.

Trust me, read up on all these terms, I was lucky, I had no money for a guitar and was going to dive straight into some bad stuff, but in the time i had no money i read up on stuff, looked around these forusm did a lot of research on guitars and now I know what's good and bad in a guitar. And the terms.

Bigsby = That tremolo that will just fit onto your guitar but you dont like
Vibrato = The slight change in pitch that makes your note/chord sound 'shaken' also another term for tremolo
Tremolo = a bridge which allows you to change the pitch of your notes.

That might help a lil.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Tremolo = a bridge which allows you to change the pitch of your notes.

it's actually fluctuation in volume for general musical terminology. but Leo Fender called the bridges tremolo.

for an SG, it's the bigsby. i think the angus young signature has some vibrola vibrato piece or sumtin, so maybe read up on that.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
if you want a trem, and fell your ready for one and don't wanna do any major work, just get this, it just pops in where your old tail piece goes, it's a little pricey though.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Les_Trem_Stop-Tailpiece_Tremolos.html
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
yes .... well hmmm can i just install a vibrola or watever because i looked at some singnature models they cost way to much
arg...

Its called vibrato for a reason. If you wanna see how to trem looks, take a look at the guy from wolfmother, he has one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=14-uG7Qp6zI , he uses the vibrato at like the very end, thats about as much as it can do.

As for the B5 vibrato peice, its actually cheaper at muscians friend and guitar center then it is at stewmac. But your going to want a roller locking bridge, it causes the trem to be much more efficient and helps keeps your guitar in tune.

Also, ive been told that the B5, and B50 are the same thing, but the B50 are sold overseas or something, but I cant give my word on that

Oh yeah, and it is possible to put a floyd rose on an SG, but i think it looks really stupid, and requires a ton of routing...I think... haha
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by ECistheBest
it's actually fluctuation in volume for general musical terminology. but Leo Fender called the bridges tremolo.

I was going to mention that but I saw that it didnt have relevance to the actual topic

And I suggest none, if you want light vibrato or rounded chords then a bigsby but you dont want that.

If you want a floyd rose or osmethign similar there are (these are cheaper ones):
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez S470
Washburn X40 pro
All good.
Quote by cb951303

Well if it fits an LP I'd assume it fits an SG. It's pretty cool, I wonder what kind of range you can get from it?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Or if you want more range AND tuning stability you could get a Kahler. They are more expensive but you don't have to rout a guitar if you get the right and I'm pretty sure you don't have to hack part of the nut of since their locking nuts go behind the existing nut. you don't have to make permanent modifications to your SG if you get the Hybrid series I'm pretty sure.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
i have a brilliant idea
how about

1.you actually learn to play
2.learn your classical vibrato

problem solved! wow! you can now lower AND raise your pitch by an entire semitone! and guess what? you SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DONT LOOK LIKE A TOTAL RETARD
i have a 'white guitar'
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by .fallen
i have a brilliant idea
how about

1.you actually learn to play
2.learn your classical vibrato

problem solved! wow! you can now lower AND raise your pitch by an entire semitone! and guess what? you SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DONT LOOK LIKE A TOTAL RETARD

+1
by the way, if you're serious bout this tremolo thing, i would go for a low end ibanez grg model although the pick-ups are crap . it's better than doing a huge mod on your sg, which could probably damage your guitar.
Ulquiorra Schiffer of THE BLEACH CLUB!

The Official UG Hate Crew member!

Love me because i'm an azn. hell yeah.
Kahler anyone?
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
Quote by sempri_fi
get a stetsbar, they're prettymuch the most dive you'll get out of an sg
http://www.stetsbar.com/

Damn it the stetsbar is nice but its damned expensive!
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Page 1 of 2