How much does the chair you use affect your technique. my guitar teachers chair is smaller than the one I am using at home and I seem to have better posture in his. Is it just me or is it important on what your sitting on?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Unless your chair is really f*cked up, it works. If you can sit on it without it disabling the ability to sit up straight, it should be fine.
I prefer to use a stool for classical
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Unless your chair is really f*cked up, it works. If you can sit on it without it disabling the ability to sit up straight, it should be fine.
I prefer to use a stool for classical

wjat Im really getting at is chair height and size, does it make a difference or should uyou be able to play on anything
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
it really doesnt matter if you can still hold the guitar in the same position
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
to quote one of my teachers, 'guitar is the only time i have good posture....the rest of the time im slouching, but when i get in a chair to play its the best posture i'll ever have'

i asked for a chair for my birthday actually for practicing, swivel chair, raisable/sinkable, no arms, cushioned, and its helped me a lot, sitting in a wooden chair was killing my ass

its very influential on your playing, but yeah like mentioned ^ as long as youre holding it right, and have good posture, and the chair isnt physically impeding your playing, ie, cutting off circulation, youre good
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
yeah best height is so that your leg and calf make a 90 degree angle at your knee, armless chairs allow more freedom for your arms
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I've, sadly, never paid much attention to my posture when playing guitar. Sometimes I lean forward and sometimes I sit up straight, but it's not very consistent. I don't feel it's hurt my playing, but, maybe it is? I never hold it on my right leg though. Probably the most uncomfortable position for playing guitar that I've ever accidentally used in my life. How anyone can play that way is beyond me.
If you're resting your guitar on your leg, and you probably are, then the height of the chair, and the length of your leg, will determine the height of your guitar. You want to get that right and as there's not a lot you can do about your legs (footstools are good), pay at least a little attention to your chair.
i find that holding the guitar in the "classical position" on your left leg (assuming your playing right handed), allows for more freedom and easier movment with your fretting arm, it also relieves a lot of tension on my right shoulder vs. playing w/ the guitar on my right leg
Quote by C.C. Deville
i find that holding the guitar in the "classical position" on your left leg (assuming your playing right handed), allows for more freedom and easier movment with your fretting arm, it also relieves a lot of tension on my right shoulder vs. playing w/ the guitar on my right leg

But I think when you are playing steel string the guitar on right leg is more optimised for playing with a plectrum.
personally i sit hippy style and hunched over. i'm not saying its a good habit, just what i do. ideally though i have heard from many people that you do want to have a comfortable sit with a good posture.
Quote by radiantmoon
But I think when you are playing steel string the guitar on right leg is more optimised for playing with a plectrum.

not really, i find that my picking technique is much more relaxed and efficient since ive been playing in that position, not as much stress on teh elbow and shoulder
Quote by C.C. Deville
not really, i find that my picking technique is much more relaxed and efficient since ive been playing in that position, not as much stress on teh elbow and shoulder

Agreed. My technique is way better on my left leg than my right, regardless of whether I'm fingerpicking, strumming, or using a pick.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Agreed. My technique is way better on my left leg than my right, regardless of whether I'm fingerpicking, strumming, or using a pick.

I generally put it on Left or Right randomly, its never consistent, I can play just as good on both. Mainly however i'm feeling that moment.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!