Hello Community,
ive tried this both guitars mentioned in title in musicstore, n for whateva reason i find the rr24 a bit better to play. But im worried bout the fact it only has 1 pickup... and the SG surely isnt a bad built but i just liked the jackson more.
Now i want to hear your opinion, is it worth buying the jackson rr24 even if its less versatile then the SG? I mean this might be a bigger investitation^^
Gibsons are good guitars but it depends on what you buy cause you are mainly paying for the name on the headstock.I think jacksons are beter.It may only have one pickup but if your into metal than its the ultimate guitar.The number of pickups doesn't matter the EMG on the jackson is beter than the gibson pickups.The jackson also has a floyd rose bridge which is the best part you can lift the guitar in the air with on hand with the whammy bar(or whatever you want to call it).Go for the jackson trust me i own it.
the RR24 is an amazing guitar but it is really designed for playing lead and metal and if thats what your going to do then go for it and you wont be disaponted
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
you definitely wont be disappointed by the RR24. one pickup is not necessarily a bad thing. you would only need another pickup if you needed a tone difference between the two (dunno if that makes any sense), besides, the EMG 81 isnt as crappy at cleans as everyone says so, and it fares pretty well with the leads
Sigs are too hard to think up
That'd be a pickle for me cos I do love tremolo's BUT I'd prefer more versatility and a classier guitar.

RR24: Alexi Laiho (CoB) signature made by Jackson (pretty much) awkward body shape, not versatile (one pickup being an EMG if I'm correct?) Overall: Okay.
Gibson SG: Original guitar, comfortable, Versatile Overall: I'd tap it.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
That'd be a pickle for me cos I do love tremolo's BUT I'd prefer more versatility and a classier guitar.

RR24: Alexi Laiho (CoB) signature made by Jackson (pretty much) awkward body shape, not versatile (one pickup being an EMG if I'm correct?) Overall: Okay.
Gibson SG: Original guitar, comfortable, Versatile Overall: I'd tap it.

On the other hand, The RR shape guitars might take some time to get used to, but they're not that uncomfortable.

The lack of a neck pickup is something that I'd miss for solos and such, but on the other hand, if Alexi can play his without a neck pickup why can't someone else? Also, I've tried this guitar clean as well and the EMG really isn't that bad when on the clean channel. If you know how to use your volume knob and how to EQ an amp, you'll get quite a few sounds out of the RR.

On last thing though, the RR24 isn't much less original than the Gibson. Also, keep in mind that the Laiho sig is more like a Jackson RR made by ESP.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
if you intend to play blues to rock, get the SG
if you intend to play metal get the RR24
if you want to be able to play blues to metal get an RR5

EDIT: The RR24 is very much a full on in your face one trick pony that is just awesome. The RR5 is basically the same thing but with a few more aces up it's sleeve. SG's are classic guitars but they have fatter necks and are less full on overall IMO. not really the best way of describing all the guitars but you get the idea.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Sep 30, 2007,
^ yeah thats the but thing to do
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
my friends said sg is better than rr24, but i never play both of them..for RR5, yeah hell of a lot better..
-----
\m/
Quote by sobeisbull
you can get an SG faded, very cheap, same thing but with less paint

get an sg special and swap out the pickups for what ever you want them for but if you want to save some money buy the special and get a kickass amp that can make anyhting sound good and left over money for pickups
Quote by convictionless
get an sg special and swap out the pickups for what ever you want them for but if you want to save some money buy the special and get a kickass amp that can make anyhting sound good and left over money for pickups

If you can get a standard, why go for a special. Sure, you might have some money left over to put towards a better amp (given that he even needs a better amp), but the standard's not that much more expensive, yet it is that much better.
The SG is more original as with or without ESP on the headstock that IS a laiho signature guitar.

And yes he can deal with just oen pickup but I knwo I need at elast one single coil on my guitar so I'd go against it, well i'd go against the gibson with that too, I'd get an american strat or save loads foa a '62 strat.
Quote by The devil spawn
Gibsons are good guitars but it depends on what you buy cause you are mainly paying for the name on the headstock.I think jacksons are beter.It may only have one pickup but if your into metal than its the ultimate guitar.The number of pickups doesn't matter the EMG on the jackson is beter than the gibson pickups.The jackson also has a floyd rose bridge which is the best part you can lift the guitar in the air with on hand with the whammy bar(or whatever you want to call it).Go for the jackson trust me i own it.

1: The emg is only good for metal.
2: Im pretty sure he know what a floyd is if hes even looking to buy either of them
3: I hope the next time you mistreat your guitar by lifting it into the air, i hope all your strings break an you rip the trem right out of the guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Punk_Ninja
The SG is more original as with or without ESP on the headstock that IS a laiho signature guitar.

And yes he can deal with just oen pickup but I knwo I need at elast one single coil on my guitar so I'd go against it, well i'd go against the gibson with that too, I'd get an american strat or save loads foa a '62 strat.

First of all, taking the time to type will result in a much more readable reply.

Anyway, looking like a signature guitar doesn't make it less original. Alexi was with Jackson before he went to ESP, so he asked them to build something similar to his old Jacksons. The body shape of both the ESP and the Jacksons is that of the Jackson Randy Rhoads signature, which can be described as original if you ask me.

Also, the SG was originally designed as a Les Paul signature, but Les didn't like it so they changed the name (which is why really old SG guitars have a Les Paul trussrod cover).

Now, those are a lot signature models, but it comes down to this:

-The RR24 is a Randy Rhoads signature with only one humbucker; probably so it's similar to the guitars Alexi plays.

-The SG was introduced as a signature model, only Les Paul hated it, so they changed it to a standard model.

Both guitars have a pretty original shape and besides, who really gives a damn.

Do you dislike people who play a Jackson Soloist because the shape looks to much like a Fender?

Do you hate nearly all Dean guitars because they're pretty much copies of Gibsons, or the front of one Gibson and the back of another?

Enough ranting, if you want an original guitar, have a twelve neck:
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by kool98769
1: The emg is only good for metal.

nope. just because they're generally articulate and clear does not mean they're only good for metal.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
So as i can see the rr24 is more liked in here then the sg.
Well as already mentionend i played them both in the store n they both were awesome.
But the RR24 seems to have a better reputation so you made it my favourite.
well ill think about it few more days n then make my choice, if u got to say something to change my mind feel free to
btw I dont want a RR5 coz it got no tremolo, which is the thing i like on the rr24
Quote by Janty
So as i can see the rr24 is more liked in here then the sg.
Well as already mentionend i played them both in the store n they both were awesome.
But the RR24 seems to have a better reputation so you made it my favourite.
well ill think about it few more days n then make my choice, if u got to say something to change my mind feel free to
btw I dont want a RR5 coz it got no tremolo, which is the thing i like on the rr24

Just out of plain curiosity, what colour are you getting it in?
Quote by Bonsaischaap
First of all, taking the time to type will result in a much more readable reply.
[then the rest of this shizz]

There were three four typos? So? At lest ahm nt tlkn lyk dis.

Anyway yeah originality doesnt really make it a good guitar but overall, and the SG isnt a signature model, it was presented to les paul as a signature model but he disliked it, so it's not a signature model.

But FOR ME the SG would cut it, although I like alder guitars and trmeolos the versatility involved would be the goal for me. However as I said, strats for me.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
There were three four typos? So? At lest ahm nt tlkn lyk dis.

Anyway yeah originality doesnt really make it a good guitar but overall, and the SG isnt a signature model, it was presented to les paul as a signature model but he disliked it, so it's not a signature model.

But FOR ME the SG would cut it, although I like alder guitars and trmeolos the versatility involved would be the goal for me. However as I said, strats for me.

More than half of all the signature models have very little to do with the artist when it comes to design, they might pick the colour or make a few minor adjustments, but that's it. But like I said before, who cares.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Just out of plain curiosity, what colour are you getting it in?

well if ill choose the SG it would be cherry, the RR24 probably white-black
Paying that much for a one pickup guitar is just plain silly in my opinion.

Methinks you should customize your own Carvin instead.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
SG Standard can do any genre, and it definitley shines when distorted. The necks are very playable and precise. If you want a guitar you can be proud of twenty or more years from now that just gets better with age, go for the Gibson SG Standard.
why are you considering the sg if u want the rr24 because it has a tremelo, which an sg doesnt have. if you like the rr shape and dont mind a good hardtail like what youd get with the sg get the rr5, its basically the same features as youd get with the sg ( 2 humbuckers, hardtail etc, the differences are just body wood, necks, make), and are both very versatile. unlike the rr24 which is basically a metal machine.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
the sg has no tremolo but 2 pickups, the rr24 has 1 pickup but a tremolo
i just wasnt sure which was more important for me
well i made my choice i orderd the rr24^^
i just didnt consider the rr5 coz if its as u said baicly the same as the sg, id prefer the sg to it
Quote by Janty
the sg has no tremolo but 2 pickups, the rr24 has 1 pickup but a tremolo
i just wasnt sure which was more important for me
well i made my choice i orderd the rr24^^
i just didnt consider the rr5 coz if its as u said baicly the same as the sg, id prefer the sg to it

Good choice, you won't regret it (Jackson makes some really nice guitars).
the rr24 is great,if u play metal. i love it for metal,its much better than my epi lespaul.
but make sure u know the in's and out's of a floyd rose system first.i HIGHLY reccomend buying a FR tremolo block for changing strings and setting it up. oh,and if u buy the rr24 make sure u join the owners club!
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Hope you dig that RR24. consider swapping the 81 for an 85 though when you get it. That will make it extremely versatile if you know how to work your volume knob and EQ.