In that album Politics of Ecstacy from Nevermore, is that all done from the Mesa Boogie Mark IV? If so thats AMAZING, the tone is soooo HEAVY and TIGHT!!!
i dunno, did you google/wikipedia it? there's plenty of amps that are heavy and tight, the mark iv being one of 'em. they probably used quite a few different amps recording, but who knows.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I just found out that the whole album was done with the Mesa Mark IV, thats amazing! wonder how they got such a raw tone? Theres no way that the Mark IV does not have a lot of gain, that tone is great for metal, I personally prefer it over the rectos they used with the OD in front of them.
mhmm. i believe there's 2 gain stages, or something like that. there's the channel gain knobs, and then there's a second preamp/channel gain knobs. it's weird, i probably worded it wrong ha.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Yeah, the Mark IV can get really brutal while having awesome crunch and clean sounds at the same time. I just got one last week and I absolutely love it - though it's been at my friend's house since Wednesday because I never feel like carrying it down his stairs :/

But yeah each channel has it's own gain knob - clean and crunch can both either stay clean or get light / medium overdrive depending on the guitar. Lead has a gain knob and then a "drive" knob - past a certain point, drive just adds noise and loosens it up, so I keep it around 4-5 where it seems to have optimum effect, then lead gain at 7-8 where it's heavy for rhythm and lead sings. EQing takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not that hard. I've played Mark IV's and Recto's side by side and the Mark IV is an easy choice..
Yeah I agree with you, hey but do you know the settings that Jeff Loomis used with the Mark IV on that album? I know he used : Politics of Ecstacy:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV Head Unit
Marshall 1960B 4X12 Cab (w/Celestion G12T-75 Speakers)

Hey also I've been hearing some rumors that Decapitated used the Marks IV's too but Im not sure if its true or not, and also I heard that you can easily get that Decapitated tone as well from the Mark IV? If so that would awesome!
Last edited by swordsman14 at Sep 30, 2007,
Hey also I've been hearing some rumors that Decapitated used the Marks IV's too but Im not sure if its true or not, and also I heard that you can easily get that Decapitated tone as well from the Mark IV? If so that would awesome!
Do you guys like that tone? I don't, and I'm quite sure that there is some fanboyism involved here, which I quite understand since lots of people call the MkIV godlike, although they didn't play it themselves. And if they did and were surprised how "okay+" it sounded, other guys told them that they weren't able to EQ it right.
MkIV has awesome smooth lead tones and nice rhythm chunks. But there are different and better amps.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Stop bumping your thread.

And I've owned my Mark IV for about 8 years. I'll never get rid of it. It's a fantastic amp. But I don't play metal so I can't comment on that. And yes, it can take a ridiculously long time to EQ in a way that you REALLY like. It's not a simple "plug and play" amp.
Hi, I'm Peter