Does anyone know what the regulations are in US customs if I was to bring a guitar back to the UK from the US. I just need to know stuff like tax and things like that. Thanks...
You Are More Likely To Be Devoured Than Empowered By Your Own Sense Of Romance
I think your meant to pay some sort of tax but if you buy it and get a case with it bash up the case abit like with stickers and just say you brought from home with you - thats worked for a few people i think - maybe stick a sticker on the guitar aswell and get the strings abit rusty?
Generally, the plan like the guy above me don't work.

Customs officials know what's what and they're not stupid.

Depending on the guitar, you'll get stiffed with a fair whack.
Terms and Conditions apply.
take it on as hand luggage
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
customs might want to check the wood for insects and you might have tobecause pay extra because of its size and the weight limit is 20kilos as far as I know but you might want to check that because I'm in Aussie land
Quote by lachlano2000
customs might want to check the wood for insects and you might have tobecause pay extra because of its size and the weight limit is 20kilos as far as I know but you might want to check that because I'm in Aussie land

since when does a guitar weigh 44lbs?

guitar made from Iridium?
Last edited by makuserusukotto at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by makuserusukotto
since when does a guitar weigh 44lbs?

guitar made from Iridium?

!

but seriously, i believe that if you take the neck off of it you can say its a repair job and i think you can get it though, i have heard of some one doing something like that before.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Y'know, I've been thinking about this, too. It's a nice idea, but I really don't know much about customs and taxation. I also don't know how thorough the customs services are.

Do customs register which items you take into the country as well as the ones you bring back? If so, do you think you'd get away with taking a three-colour sunburst Squier strat over in a case and whilst in America buying a three-colour sunburst Fender strat and replacing it with the Squier for the return journey.

Would that work?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Costs none, if you can't take it as hand luggage, it'll go into oversized-luggage (in which you'll need a good case), I've taken 3 guitars from overseas back- by flight before, there is no tax unless you go over your total baggage/luggage limit. And besides, they obviously 'ray' your stuff before anyway.
DANK MEMES
makuserusukotto did u eva think that he might have other stuff with him like clothes and he might have bought more stuff apart from the guitar
its like 25kg or 50kg for 1 person, can't remember, but I always bring a **** lod of stuff back from holiday as well, such as a computer, clothes, etc. You won't go over the limit, trust me .
DANK MEMES
Try doing something like, taking a black squier strat over in a guitra case, then throw it away when you get there and take back a black american fender strat.

It could work...i don't know...
wth? i didn't have to pay anything extra when i took a guitar to spain with me. that's mad.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
I bought a Fender US Tele in the states, slapped some stickers on the case, wore a trilby hat (I swear I'm being serious) and walked straight through the green channel with it. Was it risky? Yes. Was it stupid? Possibly. Did I have to pay tax? No.

EDIT: I didn't think that they taxed items by weight when you return to the UK, they do it if you declare something that's over your monetary tax-free allowance.
Love is not a victory march.
Last edited by shakysam at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by tdrules
take it on as hand luggage

usually too big. unless its a backpacker.

to TS: get a really hefty flightcase, like one of the coffin case flightcases. because a simple little hardcase is going to get crushed in the cargo hold....
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
If you're bringing something back to the UK it's british customs that you have to worry about. I had the same problem with my MacBook last month. I was pretty worried but I just walked through the 'nothing to declare' part in Manchester and Dublin and no one said a thing. You're allowed to bring back £145 of stuff you bought in the US, the rest you're supposed to pay import tax on.