Page 1 of 2
Hello.
Any J-pop fans here?

By j-pop i mean, bubbly happy japanese pop stuff, like the stuff you hear on animes and stuff.

I don't know where to start and would like some help as to who is good etc etc.

Seeing as there isn't a foreign-language-pop forum, I'm posting here... yea.

Thanks!
Quote by Mattmakesmetal
GET....OUT...

Jokes ily,

Lol sounds like nintendo music

The music from street fighter 2 was pretty bad ass and that was for sega!
Old consoles have the best music ever!
...And the worms ate into his brain.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Me!

Aikawa Nanase ftw.

Although, this does fit in the 'other' forum in Bands & Artists

Help me out man
Tell me more artists.
Aikawa Nanase
Kyoko Fukada
Gackt
Hiroko Shimabukuro
Miki Imai
Koji Kikkawa
Momoe Yamaguchi
Puffy Ami Yumi
Takemura Nobukazu
Takako Uehara

Are good for starting out.
Especially Aikawa Nanase

God damn, their names are hard to remember, just dug out my j-pop collection
Ahh good memories.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Aikawa Nanase
Kyoko Fukada
Gackt
Hiroko Shimabukuro
Miki Imai
Koji Kikkawa
Momoe Yamaguchi
Puffy Ami Yumi
Takemura Nobukazu
Takako Uehara

Especially Aikawa Nanase

Ahh good memories.

Ahh, thanks a bunch man!
I'm listening to Aikawa's song "Bye bye" right now and it sounds great!
I don't know many J-Pop bands yet. But what I do know is very good, The Pillows are my favorite J-Pop band so far. I plan on listening to a lot more in the future. (Especially when I move to Japan)
Quote by Mattmakesmetal
GET....OUT...

Jokes ily,

Lol sounds like nintendo music

Nintendo music rules!
Own a PS3?
Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
My girlfriend likes it. I don't
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Quote by RandyVanHendrix
I don't know many J-Pop bands yet. But what I do know is very good, The Pillows are my favorite J-Pop band so far. I plan on listening to a lot more in the future. (Especially when I move to Japan)

the pillows are more rocky than what he's referring to.

I'm not as much into pop like Utada, or Morning Musume, as I am rock like Dir en Grey or L'arc~en~Ciel.

Some of my favorties are the pillows, L'arc en Ciel, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Dir en Grey, Ellegarden, X Japan, hide, HYDE...these are only my top faves...to list all of the ones I like would take pages.

My absolute favorite is the pillows though. They are my favorite band period. I've got almost their whole discography from Japan, imported. The only ones I don't ahve are 2 of their first mini albums from the late 80's, early 90's.

But yeah, I love Japanese music and am quite knowledgable on the subject if anyone wants to chat.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
the pillows are more rocky than what he's referring to.

I'm not as much into pop like Utada, or Morning Musume, as I am rock like Dir en Grey or L'arc~en~Ciel.

Some of my favorties are the pillows, L'arc en Ciel, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Dir en Grey, Ellegarden, X Japan, hide, HYDE...these are only my top faves...to list all of the ones I like would take pages.

My absolute favorite is the pillows though. They are my favorite band period. I've got almost their whole discography from Japan, imported. The only ones I don't ahve are 2 of their first mini albums from the late 80's, early 90's.

But yeah, I love Japanese music and am quite knowledgable on the subject if anyone wants to chat.

I need to buy some Pillows albums I don't own any yet. The closest thing I have to a J-Pop album is the FLCL DVD box set.
Quote by RandyVanHendrix
I need to buy some Pillows albums I don't own any yet. The closest thing I have to a J-Pop album is the FLCL DVD box set.

They have so much stuff that is so much better than the stuff made for/used in FLCL. Their whole discography is virtually amazing. Especially their old stuff when they expiremented with jazz stuff.

Let me know if you need any sites to get them from.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet

They have so much stuff that is so much better than the stuff made for/used in FLCL. Their whole discography is virtually amazing. Especially their old stuff when they expiremented with jazz stuff.

Let me know if you need any sites to get them from.

Any songs to recommend for a first time listener?
By the pillows?

Swanky Street
Kanojo wa Kyou
Strange Chameleon
Thank You My Twilight
White SUmmer, Red Hair, Green Bicycle, and Black Guitar

Those are my faves.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Quote by buckethead_jr
Aikawa Nanase
Kyoko Fukada
Gackt
Hiroko Shimabukuro
Miki Imai
Koji Kikkawa
Momoe Yamaguchi
Puffy Ami Yumi
Takemura Nobukazu
Takako Uehara

Especially Aikawa Nanase

Ahh good memories.

Just to add, "Malice Mizer" (although if you find Gackt you'll probably find these guys sooner or later), and "L'arc~en~ciel" are both quite good.
My little sister does, and she sings along even though she has no idea what they're singing about. I plan to find some japanese song where they sing about rape and violence, and make her like it.
I'm a communist. Really.
Doesn't this belong in the Bands & Artists forum? I can never understand why people post about non-rock genres in the Pit.

Anyways, I like some JPop. For the ultimate in "bubble happy j-pop", you have GOT to listen to Ai Otsuka's "Sakuranbo" ("さくらんぼ"). She has other excessively up-tempo tracks (like "Happy Days"), but Sakuranbo is top-notch.

Puffy AmiYumi also has a lot of upbeat ones. So many that I don't know where to start.

Ayumi Hamasaki's not very "happy bubbly", but she is a very recommended artist with quality "serious" music.
Quote by Raziel2p
My little sister does, and she sings along even though she has no idea what they're singing about. I plan to find some japanese song where they sing about rape and violence, and make her like it.
Chihiro Otsuka's "Shine" is about rape.
merzbow
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Quote by Raziel2p
Puffy AmiYumi's "So Long Zero" is about adultery, if that helps...
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
By the pillows?

Swanky Street
Kanojo wa Kyou
Strange Chameleon
Thank You My Twilight
White SUmmer, Red Hair, Green Bicycle, and Black Guitar

Those are my faves.

I'd also reccomend:

NO SELF CONTROL
Terminal Heaven's Rock
One Life
Nowhere
Bokura no Harre Suisei (there are 2 versions of this song, you want the one from Turn Back)
MY FOOT
Smile

Also Fool on the planet do you have AIM or MSN dude? It's always fun to chat with pillows fans or J-rock fans in general.
Quote by Wakisazhi
I'd also reccomend:

NO SELF CONTROL
Terminal Heaven's Rock
One Life
Nowhere
Bokura no Harre Suisei (there are 2 versions of this song, you want the one from Turn Back)
MY FOOT
Smile

Also Fool on the planet do you have AIM or MSN dude? It's always fun to chat with pillows fans or J-rock fans in general.

Dude! Awesome.

I've never met any other megafans that know a bunch of their stuff. PM sent.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Not pop, but try High and Mighty Color, or UVERworld. Those are my faves
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by yawn
Chihiro Otsuka's "Shine" is about rape.

Quote by yawn
Puffy AmiYumi's "So Long Zero" is about adultery, if that helps...

It's evul time!
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Biatch
Miyavi anyone?

Yes please.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
I just bought Larc en Ciel Smile, and FLCL OST3. What are some other good J-Pop/Rock albums to start off with?
Leah Dizon. If you don't mind an American singing J-Pop. IDK, I'm not a big fan but Angela Aki's pretty popular these days.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Sry for bumping this.
Hopefully I can get foolontheplanet or someone else like him to see this.
I'm really getting into this artist called Makoto Kawamoto, you guys know anyone that I would like if I like her stuff?
I don't really like most of the Jpop artists you named haha, or maybe I can't find any of their good songs. But anyway, the above artist I mentioned, I find myself liking all of her songs... so, anyone like her?

Thanks a bunch!
I love it, but I'm not well versed in it.

I love:

The Pillows
Die en grey
The on Gackt song I heard
The one L'arc en ciel song I've heard

I've heard of tons more from a friend. In fact, if I ever wanted to get SERIOUSLY into it, I would just have to ask her.

EDIT:

I misread the title, I thought it said J-Rock.

I';m not well versed in J-Pop, either.

I know Utada Hikaru, and that's about it.

She IS amazing, though.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
any 8bit nintendo sounds mixed with techno bass tracks are kickass. search megaman techno remix.
je suis haut
Quote by fallenangel20
I love it, but I'm not well versed in it.

I love:

The Pillows
Die en grey
The on Gackt song I heard
The one L'arc en ciel song I've heard

I've heard of tons more from a friend. In fact, if I ever wanted to get SERIOUSLY into it, I would just have to ask her.

EDIT:

I misread the title, I thought it said J-Rock.

I';m not well versed in J-Pop, either.

I know Utada Hikaru, and that's about it.

She IS amazing, though.

Does the one Larc en Ciel song happen to be the theme song to Full Metal Alchemest?
Page 1 of 2