My computer has gone really weird.
Yesterday it just started showing some weird colours everywhere. I thought it might be a problem with the graphics card. Now the colours came back, even when starting up[ the PC these weird squiggly colours are everywhere.

Now my screen keeps going on and off every few seconds so I think it may be the monitor, but I'm not sure. I've checked the connections. Any ideas?
Check yer monitor cable.

Not the connection, I mean the actual cable. Move it around, see if it changes the colour on the screen.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
+1
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Oh my ***ing god that pron one is like the best one ever and i have seen all of em. Congrats dude you just beat Kensai.
^^+1

Also check the fan of your graphics card. I had a similar problem a while ago and the fan had died, so the graphics card was getting extremely hot, and causing the sort of corruption you're seeing.
Are there any other computers in the house? If so, plug the monitor into another computer. It's probably the monitor, but you never know. Also try swapping the cables around (obviously only the one you can unplug). This way if it's a cable, you'll be able to tell which one it is. (assuming your monitor has two cables like mine does - one for power, one connecting to the graphics card.)

EDIT: Obviously this won't fix the problem, but you might be able to localize it.
I didn't have a signature until now.
Most probably the videocard.
Try and get rid of all the dust covering it to stop it overheating.
If you're getting artifacts during startup it probably time to buy a new videocard.
My money is on the cable too. It was only the other day I was prodding it in to the socket correctly.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by TreeFiddy
Most probably the videocard.
Try and get rid of all the dust covering it to stop it overheating.
If you're getting artifacts during startup it probably time to buy a new videocard.

I think you're right. It's only started happening since yesterday. Now it's fine after I've had my computer off for a while, I'll try getting this dust off it. The fan is working though.

What's a normal temperature for a graphics card?
if you have another monitor try that and if it doesnt work either buy and install a new visual graphics card or take it in to your local computer store and get them to fix it for mind you they will charge you for a whole load of bull****. but if your computer is playing up it you might as well do it
Okay now I think it's just these new DivX things that I downlaoded. The old ones worked but I updated the webplayer and codecs, seems to start screwing up when I play videos from tv-links