My Friend and I are going to build me a guitar, and we have this particularly less cliche Coffin design that we're thinking of, but I have a few questions since we both don't know 100% what we're doing...

1) What would be the easiest way to get the best sound out of this? Solid Body + Set Neck is what we thought (We don't have the woodworking skills to make it one totally solid piece).
2)Can you buy preformed necks on the web? is there a way to get a plain fretboard in order to make my own inlays?
3)What type of wood is best for a deeper, more metal sound? Basswood?
4)For the body design, we have a cool idea of having part of the wood physically stand out further than the rest of the body, but will this affect the end sound noticeably?

Also, any links to a good free general guide about guitar building would be appreciated seeing as we've never done any of this. If anyone cares, it's going to be a coffin with 81/85's and a Floyd Rose (hopefully), and we're going to design it all tomorrow...

Thanks!
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
I would suggest projectguitar.com, it will become your new bible. Pretty much all your questions will be answered there. And for a deeper sound you could try basswood or mahogany.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
1) Neckthrough vs bolton doesn't have a clearcut winner. A good bolt-on can have just as much sustain as a NT
2)Nearly every guitar building shop everywhere will allow you to buy premade necks and blank fretboard material. I know Warmoth does...but they tend to get pricey
3)Basswood or Mahogany
4)Body shape shouldn't really affect the tone. At least, a change that small shouldn't change anything.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
yeah i want to built a guitar my self i made a kick ass body shape ill go for mahogany wood and get some good pick ups i think dave mustaine pick set from saymour duncan are good and cheap im might go for them..
tombst0ne designs
Digital art ,CD covers,posters,anything let me now
my gallery
Quote by MadMudgeN

Also, any links to a good free general guide about guitar building would be appreciated seeing as we've never done any of this. Thanks!

Here's a good set of guitar building resources. Also check out this review of Make Your Own Guitar which many consider to be the best book on electric guitar building.

Regards,

Rob
Thanks everyone! I bought a book on it, and I'll use all these resources to my advantage as well. Turns out I'm going to make something less cliche, and I'm not going to do it till Christmas break, but you can bet your ass I'll have a picture post in the gear building thread the minute I do. Thanks again guys.

EDIT: Weird, I actually randomly bought the book you recommended. The information is pretty solid, but man is the guy a condescending dick the way he writes it. haha.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Last edited by MadMudgeN at Oct 13, 2007,