Not so much the neck but the heel and pocket.
so a few days ago i filled in the previous neck pocket holes with some dowel, that turned out great, so i drilled some more holes everythings going fine until, i put some strings on and the tension just pulled the neck and ripped the screws out,shredding the new holes i drilled. i was using 11's but thats what gauge i plan on using on this guitar.

so im going to dowel all the holes in again, are there any other ways of strengthening it ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
what type of wood were the dowels made from? If you use a soft wood its not going to hold worht a crap.
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
they were maple dowels, and the screws were in all the way.

any other suggestions ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
you probably either
A. didnt use enough wood glue
or
B. didnt wait for the glue to set
or
C. didnt use a dowel with a close enough fit, so the wood glue was doing the majority of the holding

the idea is, the dowel is really close to the hole size, then both get a good coating of glue and they end up with a really strong bond

also, the pilot holes you drilled might have been too large, so the screws didnt have enough wood to grip. try looking up the recommended drill size for the screws you're using (make sure its for wood screws)
they were very snug, i had to tap them in with a mallet, waited about 30 hours before doing anything.
the drill bit was for wood, and i drilled them smaller so the screws could thread themselves but ill retry.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
well thats good that they were tight, as long as you put glue in the holes and on the dowel.

and you need the screw to have to open the hole a little so it actually gets a good hole. and if you still have problems i'm pretty sure they have ferrels that might offer a little more hold, but i doubt you'll need them.

and you might think about just setting the neck with some epoxy, it generally improves sustain, and if you're having problems it will hold the neck on with the aid of the screws...
yeah i was thinking about glueing at first just until i can afford another neck. i realised to change the fb and stuff on the one i have i could buy a cheap neck off ebay. i think i may jusat do that . but ill give all youre advice a shiot, thanks/
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Yeah, I was gona suggest gluing it in too. also, try loosening up your truss rod a bit. I had one guitar that bowed the neck back really bad when i put soem 11's on it. A little truss rod adjustment fixed it right up. If your truss rod is not adjusted right, it will put extra stress on the neck, which could result i nthe screws pulling out.
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
hey, could you post pics? I ust epoxied a neck on, and I'm gonna use some walnut dowels. I just want to learn from your mistakes And seriously, good luck fixing that
With the plugs what was the grain orientation? generally it is not a good idea to screw into end grain.

What size were the holes drilled vs the screws? Done properly the dowels should be plenty strong enough.
Quote by flashbandit
I just want to learn from your mistakes

don't worry about it lol its a moto i pretty much live by ' learn from your own mistakes , i learn from yours'

and yeah i might as well post some pictures or something.
ill get onto it sometime soon
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Don't use dowels, as you are screwing into endgrain, you have to make your own plugs from rock maple or similar for any real strength to be achieved.

I guess i could say "been there, done that and learned from it"
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
Quote by RGman
Don't use dowels, as you are screwing into endgrain, you have to make your own plugs from rock maple or similar for any real strength to be achieved.

I guess i could say "been there, done that and learned from it"

Wait, why would there be any screws involved? I'm about to use dowels, but would they strengthen the joint? Here's the joint, thats epoxy with wood flour. I would put 3 1/2" dowels on either side of the truss channel.

Note: this is not the TS's picture
Quote by flashbandit
Wait, why would there be any screws involved?

Bolt on neck.

Quote by flashbandit
I'm about to use dowels, but would they strengthen the joint?

They probably will add strength, but really it's not really needed. A well done joint will be plenty strong.
wait, why are people suggesting he made his bolt on neck a set neck?

I woudlnt' even consider that a real option unless you want to rape the whole thing up with screws after the glueing.

There just isn't enough wood in the pocket/heel joint for a proper set neck.
^ not to make it set neck, just to strengthen the joint along with the bolts.

besides that, ive been scoping ebay to get my hands on an wizzard neck.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT