I'm finally getting my new guitar next month and after trying it out I loved everything about it except for the pretty crap pickups, which I was planning on replacing anyway.

It's an Ibanez S prestige so the stock pickups are DiMarzio/IBZ pickups and I was thinking for a hard rock, metal and shred type sound I'd have a DiMarzio D-Activator in the bridge, a Fernandes Sustainer in the neck and something else in the middle, although if the Fernandes would mean drilling more holes in the guitar, then I'd avoid going for that one.

Can anyone recommend any good pickups? I'm thinking maybe £50-£60 each, and I'd preferably like to hear some sound clips of them as well.
Funny words.
Those aren't "crap" pickups at all, they're simply Ibanez-branded...they're still genuine Dimarzios. The bridge is supposed to be close to a Super Distortion, the neck close to the Super 2. However, although they are good pickups that isn't a given that they'll suit you, neither of them are particularly shred orientated.

Dimarzios cost a fortune over here, probably even more for the Sustainers. If you really don't like the stocks and want replacements then Swineshead are your best bet - they're practically half the price of Dimarzios and Duncans.

Probably go Warthog bridge, Dragonfly middle and Runaway neck, maybe a Venom in the bridge if you want things a little shreddier?

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Those aren't "crap" pickups at all, they're simply Ibanez-branded...they're still genuine Dimarzios. The bridge is supposed to be close to a Super Distortion, the neck close to the Super 2. However, although they are good pickups that isn't a given that they'll suit you, neither of them are particularly shred orientated.

Dimarzios cost a fortune over here, probably even more for the Sustainers. If you really don't like the stocks and want replacements then Swineshead are your best bet - they're practically half the price of Dimarzios and Duncans.

Probably go Warthog bridge, Dragonfly middle and Runaway neck, maybe a Venom in the bridge if you want things a little shreddier?

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

Well, I just thought they were a little muddy and for the price of the guitar they were one of the weaker points, for example I find that the stock pickups on my £150 guitar offer more of a clearer sound, I might have been a bit harsh in saying they were crap, but they weren't what I expected.
Funny words.
The bridge one is close to the Super Distortion, which does have a little bit of a fizzy thing going on and it isn't to everyones taste. Funnily enough, the more I listen to the Warthog clips the more they remind me of the Dimarizo Breeds, particularly the neck model. I suppose the laziest way of describing the Venom would be Swineshead's Evolution equivalent...obviously not really the same but similar characteristics like treblier voicing and good clarity.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
The bridge one is close to the Super Distortion, which does have a little bit of a fizzy thing going on and it isn't to everyones taste. Funnily enough, the more I listen to the Warthog clips the more they remind me of the Dimarizo Breeds, particularly the neck model. I suppose the laziest way of describing the Venom would be Swineshead's Evolution equivalent...obviously not really the same but similar characteristics like treblier voicing and good clarity.

Yeah I've been listening to the Warthog ones for a few minutes now, they sound near enough ideal for what I want, I hate buying pickups though, because you can never try them out before getting them, unless they come stock on another guitar, which isn't the case with Swineshead.
Funny words.
I think Dave_Mc has a Warthog-equipped guitar...might be wrong though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

the warthog's much nicer than a breed...

i basically describe is like a hybrid of a jb and a tone zone, with the positives of each, and minus the negatives, with a little bit of fred thrown in. and a more responsive tone than any of those. i guess it's not unlike a breed either.

if you can get up to £80-£90 per pickup, bareknuckles or bulldogs would also be worth a look. the miracle man is just downright badass for shred, as is the neck cold sweat.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the warthog's much nicer than a breed...

i basically describe is like a hybrid of a jb and a tone zone, with the positives of each, and minus the negatives, with a little bit of fred thrown in. and a more responsive tone than any of those. i guess it's not unlike a breed either.

if you can get up to £80-£90 per pickup, bareknuckles or bulldogs would also be worth a look. the miracle man is just downright badass for shred, as is the neck cold sweat.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/review_mm.html

£115

Judging by the reviews it sounds very good but that's a bit outta my budget.
Funny words.
eh you can get a miracle man for about £90 or so... even on the BKP website... EDIT: though if that's still over budget, swinesheads are still very nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 30, 2007,
get a seymour duncan full shred pretty much does what it says and its a pretty sweet pickup and i dont think its that expsensive just go on www.musicansfriend.com and search for it and read some reviews or something