I searched and found nothing.

Soooo... anyone here a gardener?

This coming spring I'm thinking of planting some flowering Kale and Meadow Sage. Any tips?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
are you trying to grow pot or something?
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
No, that would be 'cannabis sativa' not kale or meadow sage.

(Although meadow sage is a type of salvia, but not the pyschedelic kind)
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

I don't know what those plants are. But I've heard plant pots are a plus when it comes to planting.
Quote by someguitarguy88
Yeah i figured out i had herpes thanks to wikipedia!
Are you looking to do a herb garden type thing?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Are you looking to do a herb garden type thing?

Pretty much.

I have absolutely no experience with gardening though. That's why I'm asking I guess.

Edit: Flowering Kale

Meadow Clary
Quote by shattamakar

i would love to get into gardening. i just got an email today from some people who are looking to start an organic garden this spring. i'm really excited for it.
Do you have space to lay out a box 3'x5' or maybe 4'x8' about 6-8" deep. If so you can create a wonderful herb/spice garden that will provide for you year round.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Do you have space to lay out a box 3'x5' or maybe 4'x8' about 6-8" deep. If so you can create a wonderful herb/spice garden that will provide for you year round.

Hmm, that sounds like an idea. Although six feet is pretty deep.

I hope my parents let me dig up the yard.
Quote by shattamakar

Well i grow things in my room. Ive got a pot with some sage(i think) and ive got a pumpkin planted that will start growing in about a week or 2
"And then there was a chair....Alternating the movement of its feet like a horse, the chair runs up to my bed, climbs up into it--and I make love to the wooden chair(uncomfortable, painful)."
Quote by cptncacklefanny
Well i grow things in my room. Ive got a pot with some sage(i think) and ive got a pumpkin planted that will start growing in about a week or 2

Fluorescent lighting?
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by walkinbazooka

also 6-8" means 6-8 inches
' = foot
" = inches
lol
"And then there was a chair....Alternating the movement of its feet like a horse, the chair runs up to my bed, climbs up into it--and I make love to the wooden chair(uncomfortable, painful)."
Quote by walkinbazooka
Fluorescent lighting?

ive got a big southern facing window that gets sun from sunrise to sunset

ive got to go eat lunch. I'll take some pics when i get back
Last edited by cptncacklefanny at Sep 30, 2007,
I'm not a fan, though I can appreciate a nice garden. There's a lower park near my college with a pond and everything with statues and flower beds which is really nice. I might be tempted to grow something, but my rabbit lives in the garden and he eats bloody everything.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by cptncacklefanny
also 6-8" means 6-8 inches
' = foot
" = inches
lol

Oh I see. That seems like something I could do then.

I asked my parents and they said if I did all the work, then I could do it.
I like doing yardwork though.
Quote by cptncacklefanny
ive got a big southern facing window that gets sun from sunrise to sunset

ive got to go eat lunch. I'll take some pics when i get back

I look forward to those pictures.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by walkinbazooka

" = inches ' = feet.
6 ft would be ok for planting unwanted neighbors tho they don't grow well.

Lay out your box. Half round landscape timbers work well. When box is completed dig out about 6" of the dirt inside the box. Save dirt for you will reuse it. Fill the area you just removed the dirt from with sand. Play sand works well. This provides a solid base that drains well. Take the dirt you removed and if there is sod on it place the sod down grass side down first. Refill with the rest of your dirt you removed. Next get a couple bags of topsoil/potting soil to cover about the top 2-3" (read inches). Now you have a spot to plant all types of goodies.
Basil - easy to grow and grreat to add to almost anything. Just pick a couple of leaves at a time to add to whatever you are cooking. At the end of the season dry whats left and you have fresh basil to use all winter
Marjoram, Cilantro, Parsley, Sage, Oregano, Chives, Thyme all used the same as basil. Just pick what you want to use all summer and then dry it at the end of the year for use all winter.
Garlic - Can take up to 2 years to grow decent sized cloves but well worth the wait.
I replace half every year as I pick it.
Green onions - great to pick and use as you want.
Coriander - Pick leaves during the summer. When it goes to seed you now have nutmeg.
All this stuff is easy to grow and use.
PS place your garden in an area that gets full morning sun but is in the shade most of the afternoon if possible.
Have fun and good luck.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
" = inches ' = feet.
6 ft would be ok for planting unwanted neighbors tho they don't grow well.

Lay out your box. Half round landscape timbers work well. When box is completed dig out about 6" of the dirt inside the box. Save dirt for you will reuse it. Fill the area you just removed the dirt from with sand. Play sand works well. This provides a solid base that drains well. Take the dirt you removed and if there is sod on it place the sod down grass side down first. Refill with the rest of your dirt you removed. Next get a couple bags of topsoil/potting soil to cover about the top 2-3" (read inches). Now you have a spot to plant all types of goodies.
Basil - easy to grow and grreat to add to almost anything. Just pick a couple of leaves at a time to add to whatever you are cooking. At the end of the season dry whats left and you have fresh basil to use all winter
Marjoram, Cilantro, Parsley, Sage, Oregano, Chives, Thyme all used the same as basil. Just pick what you want to use all summer and then dry it at the end of the year for use all winter.
Garlic - Can take up to 2 years to grow decent sized cloves but well worth the wait.
I replace half every year as I pick it.
Green onions - great to pick and use as you want.
Coriander - Pick leaves during the summer. When it goes to seed you now have nutmeg.
All this stuff is easy to grow and use.
PS place your garden in an area that gets full morning sun but is in the shade most of the afternoon if possible.
Have fun and good luck.

Thank you so much! This is going to be great.

(and I hope I don't become the UGer that everyone makes fun of for thinking " means feet)
Quote by shattamakar

I had a papaya today for breakfast and while I was scooping out the 5428 seeds from the inside I decided the next one I eat I'll take a few seeds and plant 'em and grow a papaya tree

I'm awesome
Quote by alex_haeni
Bahah, i just got BUTSECKS to work.
Quote by walkinbazooka
Thank you so much! This is going to be great.

(and I hope I don't become the UGer that everyone makes fun of for thinking " means feet)

Too late
Oh and by the way this is the time of year you want to get it started. A winter layover does the pottingsoil/topsoil you put on top time to loose some of its "heat" . Stuff grows better in it after it has been out for a bit.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Sage(?)

Soon to be pumpkin

Window

Pumpkin last year
I messed up a lot last year. This years pumpkin will be a lot healthier
^Awesome
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
lol i was always asking friends for more K'NEX so i could build that thing bigger. Pumpkins grow fast...
anyone here know for sure whether or not that plant of mine really is sage?
Quote by cptncacklefanny
anyone here know for sure whether or not that plant of mine really is sage?

Yeah, my guess is that it's Salvia officinalis.
Quote by shattamakar

k sweet