I just noticed an all valve marshall that's in the sort of price i'd be able to afford...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-dsl401/283

but is it any good? i've lost my ability to trust any marshall amp below £500.

Also i'd like to know what styles of music it'd be good for

I'm not looking for a new amp, i'm just curious. I don't want people to recommend amps in this thread.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
it's a pretty nice amp, i like it anyway. it can do everything up to really heavy metals. 80s metal and hard rock is where it's at. it's cleans are decent but they could be better. Have you given the Orange Tiny Terror a look? if it's not what you're looking for then the dsl is a good buy, provided it suits your playing... which would be?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
yaaa man what he pretty much said but also its a jcm amp pretty much and anything with jcm in it thats made by marshall equals pretty good stuff
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
it's a pretty nice amp, i like it anyway. it can do everything up to really heavy metals. 80s metal and hard rock is where it's at. it's cleans are decent but they could be better. Have you given the Orange Tiny Terror a look? if it's not what you're looking for then the dsl is a good buy, provided it suits your playing... which would be?

as i said i'm just curious about it, as i was browsing GAK i just looked at it and thought "hmm".
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

ah sorry, missed that bit. well there you go
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
its a good amp. but thats it. not amazing, good cleans, good distortion, good sound. but for £400 (i think its around that now) i think for classic rock etc its a great buy. apart from the fact you can get a JCM900 combo on ebay for around the same price now, and i think they're better alround amps.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

It's alright, although it doesn't sound great at low volumes at all, and has the same kind of speaker as an MG! The valves are also naff-ola. Swap out the valves and the speaker, and you've got a decent piece of kit - quite similar to the Valveking in that respect, also in the specs interestingly. I'd rather have a Valveking though at over £100 less...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
It's alright, although it doesn't sound great at low volumes at all, and has the same kind of speaker as an MG! The valves are also naff-ola. Swap out the valves and the speaker, and you've got a decent piece of kit - quite similar to the Valveking in that respect, also in the specs interestingly. I'd rather have a Valveking though at over £100 less...

heh yeah, it will probably cost more to get it "fixed" then, i think a laney VC30 is a better option for me anyway for a start i've tried one of those and I like what i hear...

at the moment i have no need for an all valver though please don't kill me for saying that... because i'm not yet gigging, my current amp (Vox AD50VT) will do the job for the time being (it will even make a good enough gigging amp imo)

Quote by Blompcube
heh yeah, it will probably cost more to get it "fixed" then, i think a laney VC30 is a better option for me anyway for a start i've tried one of those and I like what i hear...

at the moment i have no need for an all valver though please don't kill me for saying that... because i'm not yet gigging, my current amp (Vox AD50VT) will do the job for the time being (it will even make a good enough gigging amp imo)

Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel my Valve Junior is too much for a bedroom amp... Until I turn it on

Haha, the Valveking's got me intrigued now. I probably wouldn't get one, but a speaker change and a Valve change wouldn't cost much...

But the Laney would be better and cheaper still, aye. Know about anybody who's tried those Sound Citys yet?
well when i tried it i fell in love and brought it. I duno why, i didnt want the impracticality ofa half stack, suits my classic rock, hard rock style bril. I love the cleans,they might not be clean clean, but lovely punchy sound, like SRV, just very nice overall amp. Ticked all my boxes, just go try em really
wel i tried a laney in the shop VC-30 and i had my heart set on that amp. But after i tried it i just didnt like its very mellow tone (even with TS808), but when i plugged the DSL401 in, i was like thats mine, and broughtit there and then. What ever rocks your boat, basically what im saying is dont listen to anyone, just try em.
Quote by Varkunus
wel i tried a laney in the shop VC-30 and i had my heart set on that amp. But after i tried it i just didnt like its very mellow tone (even with TS808), but when i plugged the DSL401 in, i was like thats mine, and broughtit there and then. What ever rocks your boat, basically what im saying is dont listen to anyone, just try em.

yeah. the big, big problem with that is where i live... there are no places that stock many amps, most of them are just Marshall MGs and Line 6 spiders... the occasional solid state laney, and very rarely a small valve combo will appear.

I went to swindon this weekend and got to play a laney VC15 briefly (too briefly to even check out the distortion), and also got to play a VC15 locally once before and i liked the tone, but i can't really remember... and i played a DSL401 briefly in Turnkey/Soho Soundhouse in london, again not long enough to really tell whether the amp was what i'm looking for or not, but i know it was pretty good.

Well I've got one, but had problems with the tubes ever since I bought it.

It was temporarily fixed, and when it was I found it too trebly and weak. Pinch harmonics would sound thin and the reverbs crap. I've tried a billion settings but can't seem to get a good sound from it.

I'm probably going to sell mine if you're interested...!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
the DSL401 is a cracking amp. i upgraded the speaker to a Celestion Vintage 30 and put JJ tubes in the pre-amp and EHX in the power amp. i use it for a metal style tone with my tube screamer boosting it. I've had so many people compliment my tone. For the price it's one of the best around in its category. it is also very versatile and covers a broad range of music genres/styles.
^ You should try JJ poweramp valves. Much better than the EHX for that, awesome tone.
I'd be tempted to go for it - OK, so only example I'veplayed is thejcm2000 half-stacks, but 40W should be plenty of beef to grind, and it's got a good enough sound.
Speaking of classic marshalls, I've found out they're reissuing the JCM800.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
^ a wise move but it'll probably be overpriced.

edit: i suspected correct, over £1000
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Oct 1, 2007,
Quote by MrCarrot
^ You should try JJ poweramp valves. Much better than the EHX for that, awesome tone.

If I knew anything about amps I'd get this done if it makes it sound so good. How do people know to do this?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
yeah, i'd prefer a vc30 over a dsl401, to be honest, as long as you don't need metal...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?