i've been playing guitar (just kinda messing around, teaching myself) for maybe 5 months or so now, and for christmas this year, i'd like to upgrade my technology.

just recently i bought a VOX AD15VT valvetronix amp, and i like it alot. it has nice tones and effects and everything, and it's really just what i need for what i do.

and soon, i'm thinking about getting a boss ds-1 pedal, once i have the money, but i'm not totally sure if i want it? idk yet.

but anyways, for christmas, i was thinking about asking for an epiphone les paul (currently i use basically a knockoff stratocaster, it's crap). i've played my cousin's gibson les paul before, and obviously it was oh so sweet, but i wanna know, for the over $1,500 i'm saving, how much am i really losing? is the epiphone les paul really a good value, cause all i've heard are good reviews about it and all?
So the air's getting colder
and the news keeps us scared.

Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
I'd personally wait until you've been playing at least a year before upgrading. I bought a Epiphone les Paul at 6 months having not tried or compared it extensively and ended up absolutely hating it, I sold it to buy a Strat.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
well it depends with pei les paul your getting if you get the epi les paul custom your only getting better tuners and better color but if your getting standard well you know what i mean ,my uncle owns a 1975 gibson les paul custom plus and ive played that and my friends epi and i couldnt really tell the differnce besides how heavy the gibson is and how much more thinner the epi was so it all depends on your music styles really
Quote by MrCarrot
I'd personally wait until you've been playing at least a year before upgrading. I bought a Epiphone les Paul at 6 months having not tried or compared it extensively and ended up absolutely hating it, I sold it to buy a Strat.

see, i've played with a strat too, and it's decent and all, but i just really like just about everything about the les paul alot better.

so idk, i'm really stuck here.
So the air's getting colder
and the news keeps us scared.

Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Make sure you try everything in your price range is all I was saying, read the gear info threads on here for advice on what to buy in your price range. Also make sure you know why you like a guitar better than another - not just, when you're in the shop, picking up the first one you see and after 5 minutes of playing saying "ohh, this one plz", like I did with my Les Paul, but trying a lot out and saying "no thanks, the body is really uncomfortable" etc.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I wouldn't ever pay that much for a guitar, just because it's gibson.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
i played both and the difference between a GOOD gibson les paul( and i mean stating by the quite cheap classic models and ending by the custom shop models) and a epiphone standard is very high.
but nevrtheless if u get a quality epi lp with gibson humbuckers(which some of em have in) you´ll get extremely close to THAT sound.

i´d suggest gettin a lp standard from epiphone plus a cheap tube amp (the fender vintage reissue series has now a small amp in its line or the ibanez valbee/for marshalls solid state i suggest the mg 15)!

just my opinion

but to get the REAL thing play your old guitar and save up money for the instruments from Nashville ha ha!
President of the Jeff Beck Club(PM me to join)

Sergeant Destroyer Member Of the KISS army

PM sloopy to join
MG = muddy garbage.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
well i played with it and with the right settings it definitely not sounds muddy

sorry (except you meant muddy waters overdrive ha ha)
President of the Jeff Beck Club(PM me to join)

Sergeant Destroyer Member Of the KISS army

PM sloopy to join
lol, i find the bigger mgs arent that bad
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
No matter what amp it is, the more expensive / bigger you get, the better it sounds.

Line6 Spider III. That very name shatters ears with lousy-ass quality. I've got a spider III 75W and it's actually not too bad. The 15W sucks wide open ass.

He recommended an MG15 though. 15W MG-series. Mud-land.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
JesseLaceyIsGod, you have a little less than 3 months to determine which one you'd really love to have.

The best thing to do would be to try the various grades/models of Epi and Gibson LPs.

Once you develop your chops, you can make an inexpensive guitar sound very nice through a decent tube amp.

They had an epi LP (either custom or classic can;t remember which now) right next to a Gibson LP studio last time I was GC so I sat down for about an 1 1/2hrs plugged into some monster fender combo amp they had sitting there. The gibson just doesn't do much for me. I liked the epi so much better. I thought it had better tone and feel playing it. Gibson has that tone you either like or don't like and I just don't care for it. It was kinda nice though to prefer a $499 epi to a $1099 gibson. I liked that part.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
My Epi LP has the same pickups as a Gibson Studio and I think it gets great tone. One of my buddies has a Gibson Classic LP and it plays like a dream, but I got a quality guitar for a fraction of the price.

Since you're a novice guitarist I would definitely recommend going with the Epiphone. You'll get a quality axe, plus you'll save a load of money. The pickups on some Epi LPs are muddy and can be lacking, but if you upgrade the pickups then you'll be in business. I've never regretted buying an Epi LP and I doubt you will either.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Ishiga
No matter what amp it is, the more expensive / bigger you get, the better it sounds.

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by Ishiga
MG = muddy garbage.

If you think the MGs are muddy, then you're clearly not setting it right. I've been using an MG30 for years and have got some great sounds for it. I've played a few amps in that price range and the tone you get for the amount you pay is brilliant.
I even know a guy that works in a guitar shop who had spent a lot to get a decent guitar rig together. When the MGs came out he started using an MG50 through a 4X12 cab and thought it sounded much better than what he was using before.
Hmm, ^^ I think MG's sound both way too muddy and way too brightish, both in the wrong ways, both at the same time if thats possible lol.

And choose the gibson lp over the epi unless you find a good epi.