Hey all,

An idea occured to me the other day and this is the direct result of it. I was thinking of how I'm not in the right situation right now to build a guitar, but enjoy seeing other people's works and often come up with the beginnings of good ideas myself.

So this is a thread for all those people who lack the money, talent, knowhow or motivation to build guitars but have come up with good ideas and want to share them. Who knows maybe one of the forums amazing guitar builders will take up the project and you'll get to see your idea realized!

Personally I've always wanted to build a classic Flying V, but with a twist. I'd fit all the 'lectronics first with a nice spalted maple wood top (so no need for pickguard to hide the routing), with a single (cream coloured mmm) P90 and a piezo bridge. Theres something about the simplicity of the design that just makes me sigh with longing, I dunno what it is exactly
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Last edited by Highbinder at Sep 30, 2007,
sad, this is a great idea! I've thought about it before too, and I can't believe no ones posted, so I'm mostly just bumping it.

I'm building a completely original guitar (see sig) that came to me in a dream.

I had another idea before that to make a strat, but with the horns being mirrors of eachother (instead of off set) and reaching all the way up by the headstock. I drew a sweet picture somewhere, I'll look for it. Good luck!
I had an idea a year back, but it wont even be thought of again for years to come.

But basically it is a les paul, solid mahogony with a string-through bridge (and of course neck-through) Imagine the sustain!?

But then I began to wonder if its possible to have string-through and neck-through?
Quote by Hakanku
I had an idea a year back, but it wont even be thought of again for years to come.

But basically it is a les paul, solid mahogony with a string-through bridge (and of course neck-through) Imagine the sustain!?

But then I began to wonder if its possible to have string-through and neck-through?

Yes it's possible... But all that mahogony? I think the guitar would sound too bassy, thats why Gibson adds a maple top, to brighten up the sound.
have you all seen the steampunk guitar?
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/04/27/steampunk-guitar.html

Thought you might enjoy that. On-topic though, i've always wanted to put an envelope filter with the attack controlled by a copper plate on the guitar. Basically like the wah probe on matt bellamy's black manson, but an envelope filter. Unfortunately the problem there is that i think the filter effect would sound better after the preamp, so you would need to either build the preamp distortion into the guitar first or make the guitar with 3 slots, the output jack, the effect in, and the effect out. So it's kind of tough.
Just make the guitar active, that's a pretty cool idea. So the copper plate, is that kind of like a theremin in that you control it by moving closer or further from the plate? sweet!
I had this idea - an LP Jr, with single bridge P90, with a Black Korina body, Mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. Single piece aluminium bridge, and with comfort contours on the front and back.

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
If people are getting into the more wild ideas, how about this? http://www.teuffel.com/instrumente/birdfish/birdfish_e.html

I'd love to do a twelve string guitar with all twelve tuners on the body (you see quite a few 6 on the headstock 6 on the body designs) and totally headless.

Oh and I take it everyone has seen the guitars that have rotatary frets? I can't remember the website but the guy designed a little system with rotating frets, so if they're shaped like this |) then by turning 180/180 you get fretless and fretted. Sweet idea IMO

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I was thinking about the ultimate travel guitar... It would have the steinberg tuners and headstock but with the sides cut off so its pretty much the size of a baseball bat. then I pickup in the bridge and where the neck position pickup would go put a mini amplifier. Probably not the best guitar ever but next time you go on vacation and cant fit a guitar into your luggage you will probably wish you had one.
Any idea how i can customize my guitar but not permanently?
stickers? heh not the best idea since they're limited in ideas
Quote by powermetalg
I was thinking about the ultimate travel guitar... It would have the steinberg tuners and headstock but with the sides cut off so its pretty much the size of a baseball bat. then I pickup in the bridge and where the neck position pickup would go put a mini amplifier. Probably not the best guitar ever but next time you go on vacation and cant fit a guitar into your luggage you will probably wish you had one.

I remember seeing a folding guitar somewhere

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
i've got loadsa ideas but not enough squier strats/teles to mess with

i might be able to build 2 of them, if not i'll post them here..

i'd like to hear if anyone has made a guitar with a humbucker that can have 1 coil thrown out of phase to give a really thin, honky sound... just cus i've only heard it on 1 song. ever. and it wasn't a very good one... its a feature i feel like I must have though cus i like the sound
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i've got loadsa ideas but not enough squier strats/teles to mess with

i might be able to build 2 of them, if not i'll post them here..

i'd like to hear if anyone has made a guitar with a humbucker that can have 1 coil thrown out of phase to give a really thin, honky sound... just cus i've only heard it on 1 song. ever. and it wasn't a very good one... its a feature i feel like I must have though cus i like the sound

I'm finishing up a build where I'll be able to do that, it's actually incredibly simple. I'll have 84 pickup combinations out of 2 humbuckers including series sounds and out of phase sounds. It's alot of fun!
Quote by flashbandit
I'm finishing up a build where I'll be able to do that, it's actually incredibly simple. I'll have 84 pickup combinations out of 2 humbuckers including series sounds and out of phase sounds. It's alot of fun!

yeah i saw your thread, it's a pretty neat idea (wasn't so sure about the diagram with 2000+ combos though lol), i know how to reverse the phase of 1 coil within a humbucker but just haven't been able to buy a 4-wire humbucker to do it. the simplest way is just placing a DPDT switch between the start/finish wires of one of the coils, with the wire crossover thing? (my terminology states that i'm clueless, but i think i get it)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.