hey i need help theres a shop close to me that carries orange amps and they have a bunch of the crush series. I know they are solid state but the 30w is only $200 and I've been told its pretty good. Right now I just have a Fender 25R and I was wondering if it would be better than what i have....i can trade in the fender to get part credit on the orange by the way but i dont know if its worth doing or if i should just wait.
Get a 5 watt tube amp is my suggestion. IMO crushes are only good first amps (IE 10 and 15 watt), but for the price of the 30 you may as well buy tube
Crushes are not very good amps at all. I would check out tubes amps, or upgrade to a vox valvetronix or roland cube.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by panterarocker
Get the tiny terror its much better than crushes and is class a.

He has $200, the most he's going to get for his money is a 5 watt tube

TS, in case you didn't know tube amplifiers are quite a bit louder than solid state amplifiers of the same wattage. A 5 watt tube amplifier would be probably be about as loud as a 20 watt solid state while retaining an acceptable tone (taking into account the clipping of solid states). Also tube amplifiers are of much better sound quality overall so you can make a massive quality jump cheaply.

Some good 5 watt tube amps are

Epiphone VJ (good quality, quite dark tone, only has a volume knob)
Crate Palomino V8 (Gain knob! Good all-rounder, tone knob)
Peavey Royal 8 (Gain knob! headphone jack and tone knob)
Harley Benton GA5 (great value, sounds like a VJ, tone knob)
Quote by panterarocker

It's not class A.
It really wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Best thing to do would be to endure the Frontman for a little while longer and save up fo something better.
Quote by Horlicks
He has $200, the most he's going to get for his money is a 5 watt tube

TS, in case you didn't know tube amplifiers are quite a bit louder than solid state amplifiers of the same wattage. A 5 watt tube amplifier would be probably be about as loud as a 20 watt solid state while retaining an acceptable tone (taking into account the clipping of solid states). Also tube amplifiers are of much better sound quality overall so you can make a massive quality jump cheaply.

Some good 5 watt tube amps are

Epiphone VJ (good quality, quite dark tone, only has a volume knob)
Crate Palomino V8 (Gain knob! Good all-rounder, tone knob)
Peavey Royal 8 (Gain knob! headphone jack and tone knob)
Harley Benton GA5 (great value, sounds like a VJ, tone knob)

dont forget the fender champ... i like it a bit more than the epi vj imo
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
no i just mean that ones 200....my budget for a new amp is about like 700 800 max its just that was cheap and availible
just getta vj and mod it , for like 2 bucks in mods you can have an amazing amp(thats what i use for my home amp and the 5watts tube sounds huge btw, im tihnkin about pentode triode modding it to be able to switch it to down 2.5 watts for home usage)
i dont have to have an amp right now i just wanted to know if that one was so much better that it would be worth buying now if not i think im going with the tiny terror and a 1x12 cab or a traynor
Yeah dude, definitely save up and go for the tiny terror. Try one out if you haven't already.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat
  • Orange Rocker 30 head w/ PPC212
  • Keeley modded TS9, Morley BH2, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-20

Member of the Orange Revolution Club
ive heard they are great and ill get to try one probably this tuesday because im going to a shop that carries them so im gonna check it out
orange crushes are pretty good for practice amps (ignore whoever said otherwise) i have the 30R. this thing is stupid loud for 35 watts.

but is it a huge step up from your fender? nope, but i believe it is better amp but itll be a waste of money for you man. its amazing how so many people only recommend tube amps. i wouldnt go with the epiphone valve juniors, or palomino or any other 5 watt tube amp. my 30r is louder. but the tiny terror is a beast for 15 watts. easily gigable. thats my recommendation.

Guitars:
1998 Gibson SG-X Carribean Blue
Dean Avalanche
Amps:
Marshall JCM900 SL-X Head w/ Orange 212 Cab
JMF 120T Vintage
Fender 212DSP
Pedals:
Fulltone OCD, TC Electronics Flashback Delay, MXR Classic Overdrive, TC Electronics Polytune
Don't get a crush. They suck for the money. And this is coming from someone who loves Orange amps. Trust me. You can get way better, crush series is pointless. People see Orange's label on something cheap, so they assume it's great, but it isn't. Orange is famous for their TUBE amps. No point in getting an orange SS amp. I'd suggest either a valvetronix 30, a cube 30, a palomino v8, or an epi VJ. Try to get a palomino though, even if you have to save up a bit more. They are great, and if one day I decided my tiny terror sucked (it will never happen, but this is hypothetical) I would definitely get a palomino. They are wonder-bar.

EDIT:

Quote by mr_hankey
Quote by panterarocker

It's not class A.

umm, yeah it is...
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Last edited by PieceOfMind666 at Oct 1, 2007,
/\ it doesn't. It's just different. I was just pointing out that it was class A so people didn't get confused by mr hankeys comment. This site has good info about amp classes that I'm to lazy to describe right now:

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/ampclasses.html
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
Quote by PieceOfMind666
/\ it doesn't. It's just different. I was just pointing out that it was class A so people didn't get confused by mr hankeys comment. This site has good info about amp classes that I'm to lazy to describe right now:

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/ampclasses.html

Iwas refering to the guy who said he should it because it's class A
15 watts for two EL84 isn't class A. It might be cathode biased, which is a kind of pseudo-class A.
well i know the shop im going to sells the tiny terror for $459 but does anyone know how much a orange 1x12 cab is? i didnt see any in there last time i went

whoops EDIT: the tiny terror is $549 i accidently typed those backwards
Last edited by Entendu at Oct 1, 2007,
Dang dude, $460 is great, they retail for $550 everywhere I've seen. The 1x12 is $350.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat
  • Orange Rocker 30 head w/ PPC212
  • Keeley modded TS9, Morley BH2, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-20

Member of the Orange Revolution Club
Quote by mr_hankey
15 watts for two EL84 isn't class A. It might be cathode biased, which is a kind of pseudo-class A.

I'm just going off what I see, thank ya very much.
(I know, I have too much time on my hands... )
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
the only thing it lacked was reverb.....is there anyway i can get that from something other than my amp, i know there are pedals but i dont know if any are good so help here would be loved
The TT is class A the way an AC30 is class A- that is to say, it's not. It's just class AB biased really hot.
To echo what some people have already said, though: it doesn't matter. If we just started calling them class blue and class green nobody would ever care about class. Lemmings...
I'm laughing my ass off from the diagram...
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
^ get an overdrive pedal and you pretty much have a second channel, i wouldn't let that put you off because it is a really nice sounding amp

also as long as you get a good reverb pedal then it's not going to make the amp suddenly sound awful
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
any recomendations for a reverb pedal? i already am planning on getting an overdrive pedal