I've been doing some heavy research into DiMarzio lately, and I know some players here have put DiMarzios on their guitar(s). I have an Ibanez RG550RXX and, after reading the descriptions of just about every humbucker on their site, I have come to some ideas.

-Tone Zone in Bridge/Air Norton in Neck
-Steve's Special in Bridge/Air Norton in Neck

Now I have some questions. I play mostly Progressive, some Fusion, and some heavier Prog/Metal (Vai, Dream Theater, Satch, etc.) and Blues (but I have a Strat for that). I also want to be able to get good cleans out of them too. So, how are these pickup combinations for what I'm doing? Which one should I pick? Also, should keep the stock single-coil on the RG or switch it out for a Blue Velvet/FS-1? I do use the single-coil (mostly combined with the humbuckers) from time to time.

Any help in appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by JeffWiredBeck24 at Sep 30, 2007,
i think the Steve's special is what Vai has in his JEM's. im not sure exactly, but it is one of his special pickups. I think u should go with the Steve's Special/Air Norton. If u change em and dont like the single coil after, then get the Blue Velvet.
^Steve actually has an EVO in his bridge; but thanks for the advice. I'll see how the humbuckers are with the stock single-coil first.
Yeah - the Steve's Special is nothing to do with Vai. Petrucci is a known Steve's Special user and he's as proggy ad they come.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yeah - the Steve's Special is nothing to do with Vai. Petrucci is a known Steve's Special user and he's as proggy ad they come.

How's the Air Norton combination?
I'm not a big fan personally, but a lot of people like it. I think it's better for more shred oriented players but I'm not a big fan of overly compressed sounding neck pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I am currently using a combination of Mo' Jo and PAF Jo'.. I couldn't be happier with the versatility of these pickups. I believe you're after something similar...
All right so I've (almost) decided on Steve's Special in the Bridge and Air Norton in the Neck. This should work for my style of playing. Can anyone recommend a good single-coil to put in too? I heard the Air Norton pairs well with the Blue Velvet.