14 37%
HHH
0 0%
HSS
6 16%
Pickups? what's that?
4 11%
Voters: 38.
Ok, I've been doing alot of research. I always do, but I always come back to the problem.

HH vrs. HSH vrs. HSS vrs. SSS vrs. HHH? diffrences? I thought I liked the HSH setup due to the fact that It looks like it would be very versitial... But now I really wonder. I like to play a bunch of diffrent styles of music and drift around alot. So I try to figure out as much as possible. Any help in describing what's better? or the Tone diffrence is very much welcome ^_^
Word of advice, that "pickups whats that" option may get the most votes, probably not though.

I like HSH personally most versatile, however I'mm thinking SSS would also be awesome, after my recent discovery of how versatile singles can be.
One is not better then the other. Its preference, and don't let anyone try to tell you that one is better. I like H-S-H due to the range of it, especially when wired like your typical RG. However my favorite is just 2 humbuckers together, as that gives me more then enough different tones. I also think it looks better of most guitars.
I figured i'd put that to see how mature people truely are ^_^ lol. I know SSS are out of the question for me. Due to alot of heavy stuff I play too. I tried it on an SSS just sounded pretty weak.
Quote by CJRocker
One is not better then the other. Its preference, and don't let anyone try to tell you that one is better. I like H-S-H due to the range of it, especially when wired like your typical RG. However my favorite is just 2 humbuckers together, as that gives me more then enough different tones. I also think it looks better of most guitars.

I agree one is not better then the other in some instences, but for styles of play one could be better suited for a person. That's why I'm asking the question. Also due to my GC's short supply of these options... They only seem to have HH, SSS, and tele's SS? or what ever they are lol.
Quote by WickedBeast666
I figured i'd put that to see how mature people truely are ^_^ lol. I know SSS are out of the question for me. Due to alot of heavy stuff I play too. I tried it on an SSS just sounded pretty weak.

On the contrary! At the moment, my single coil (all stock pickups) of my S470 is kicking the humbuckers asses at metal! However I assume a pickup change will stop that. (this is true single coil too not noiseless)
Quote by Punk_Ninja
On the contrary! At the moment, my single coil (all stock pickups) of my S470 is kicking the humbuckers asses at metal! However I assume a pickup change will stop that. (this is true single coil too not noiseless)

It was on a strait if that makes any diffrence. My plywood epi sounded better then this one dude's strait... but it was stock pickups on his, and stock hums on mine.
u got a HH guitar so why not a SSS now? lol

and yes, i prefer SSS. classic strat config. i just like them. but plan on getting a humbucker equipped guitar.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well a strat can still provide the metal tones! But my start (getting one, japanese probably ) will be mainly used for stuff like Rory Gallagher (going to play the Rory Gallagher tribute festival with it) SRV, Hendrix, Frank Zappa, . .well I'll play everythign with it BUT it'll be more focused to the harsh blus tones, I'm getting Bareknuckle Irish Tour pickups for it too (based off Rory Gallaghers irish tour tone)

But yeah singles can still wail metal in fact I had one of the most squealin' pentatonic improvs I've ever played with the Gain on 8 and my single coil, actually pinch harmonics better than my bridge pickup.
^im getting a japanese too!! but that one's gonna be a low output clean guitar.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Lol, this is true, Maybe my buddy just had crappy pickups... Sence his was a chinese made... or korea I can't rember where they come from. I've been looking at the HSH mostly due to it having a single and the 2 hums that I seem to like, but i heard they don't sound that good. I can't thank guitar center though.... ours is crappy around here.
^if u like HSH then go for it... it's like steve vai's guitar. u can't say they sound bad.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Lol, I'm wanting to try one... but that's the problem I have to find one to try one Lol. I found a HHH setup .... I couldn't tell a diffrence but i guess "People" can lol.
HHH isn't that great. i dig HH more.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
HSH is definately gonna be more versatile than SS to be honest as you can always coil split the humbuckers it wont give you a perfect single sound but it'll do.
^lol i guess im a perfeectionist that wants real single coils on a strat and real humbuckers with no gimicks on a les paul hahaha
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
if you're after versatility, it'd be hard to beat HSH or HSS. does depend on what you play, and what you mean by "versatile".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ECistheBest
^lol i guess im a perfeectionist that wants real single coils on a strat and real humbuckers with no gimicks on a les paul hahaha

Well yeah I'd never go for the coil split myself but other seem to dig it
If you're talking about a Strat I don't think you can beat the versatility of a H-S-S setup. You keep the signature neck single coil, keep the weird quack of the split between the neck and middle, and replace the often ice-picky bridge pickup with a humbucker that can get you some completely different sounds. The reason I don't like the HSH setup is because that neck single coil really is generally the biggest reason to have a Strat in the first place.
All the pickup configurations give different tones, I would be hard for me to pick one that i would use for the rest of my guitar playing career. but I usually use HSS on my strat at the moment. I am hopefully getting a P90-P90 SG soon, and I have my Parker which is HH. and I may replace the neck pickup of my strat with a hotrail to make it HSH.

Its just really hard to choose one configuration. I love them all to be honest, although HHH is a little pointless.

Edit: If I had to choose on configuration, It would probably be H-S-P90 and on a strat.
Quote by Comfortablylomb
If you're talking about a Strat I don't think you can beat the versatility of a H-S-S setup. You keep the signature neck single coil, keep the weird quack of the split between the neck and middle, and replace the often ice-picky bridge pickup with a humbucker that can get you some completely different sounds. The reason I don't like the HSH setup is because that neck single coil really is generally the biggest reason to have a Strat in the first place.

yep, that's why i said both. if you basically want a strat with a little more beef and grunt, it's gotta be HSS. if you want harder tones, but the ability to still get some single coil tones, I prefer HSH. As usual, really depends what you want.

Quote by Zofar
All the pickup configurations give different tones, I would be hard for me to pick one that i would use for the rest of my guitar playing career. but I usually use HSS on my strat at the moment. I am hopefully getting a P90-P90 SG soon, and I have my Parker which is HH. and I may replace the neck pickup of my strat with a hotrail to make it HSH.

Its just really hard to choose one configuration. I love them all to be honest, although HHH is a little pointless.

Edit: If I had to choose on configuration, It would probably be H-S-P90 and on a strat.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yup, i'm not really looking for the strat sound. I was looking at Ibanez HSH's, but untill i get to play one... I won't buy an Ibanez online >Scammers!< lol