I just had my first gig last Friday, and it's the first time in a while that I cranked my amp and I realized it sounded odd to my ears.. Everyone else liked it though but thats not the point. Anyway I'm looking for a Pop Punk/Punk/Rock and even Heavy Rock tone.

Some amps I've been looking at are a Mesa Dual Rec, or even an Orange, I heard they were sweet.

Thanks guys.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
first.. gratz on your first gig mate...

and sec..
i'd recomend the orange =)
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
i dunno if orange can manage heavy rock tones. i've heard they're pretty vintagey low gain amps. never tried one myself, but to be safe, mesa would do well. be sure to go try it out though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^lolz okay im gonna go ahead and rewrite my memory
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
It's hard to try i don't live anywhere around where they sell them ;\
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

You got a budget? Do you want a combo or half stack? Can you go used?
I can go used I guess. Budget isn't established yet I'm willing to save for anything.. around a grand maybe? And I'd like a stack.. :p

Well Orange are still pretty vintage voiced. The heaviest they get is 80's metal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The Heaviest stuff I listen to is some Post-Metalcore, Underoath and stuff. I'm not into any extreme metal genres so.

hmm

Mesa. As you said not the extreme metal genres, it's still metal and Orange ins't really a metal amp. Check out a Peavey 5150/ 6505 too!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

If you've just had your first gig I'm assuming you're not playing any venues that are too big. Seems a bit silly to get a stack. I remember wanting a stack when I started out just because it looked good, but to be honest it would end up being a massive hassle to take to and from gigs. I think you would be better off just getting a combo. 30-50W are usually more than loud enough to fill a small venue, and most places that have bands on regularly will have a PA system and mic the amps to make them louder.
I'd also advise taking your guitar down to a local music shop and trying out a few different amps for yourself. I really wouldn't be comfortable spending a lot of money on an amp I hadn't even tried. (Especially just going by the opinions of some people on the internet... our idea of a great sounding amp could be completely different to yours).
If you're after an amp that you can't try out, I'd have to say don't get it
Quote by ECistheBest
i dunno if orange can manage heavy rock tones. i've heard they're pretty vintagey low gain amps. never tried one myself, but to be safe, mesa would do well. be sure to go try it out though.

You're thinking of the AD30.

TS, I'd look at a used Marshall JCM800, or an Orange Rocker 30. The JCM800 is what Underoath uses.
A lot of pop punk bands use the Orange Rocker 30, as far as I've seen, so that would be a good choice.

Where do you live, though? There are other options which may be able to get what tones you want.

Also, have you tried putting your VK into A/B mode and cranking it?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You're thinking of the AD30.

TS, I'd look at a used Marshall JCM800, or an Orange Rocker 30. The JCM800 is what Underoath uses.
A lot of pop punk bands use the Orange Rocker 30, as far as I've seen, so that would be a good choice.

Where do you live, though? There are other options which may be able to get what tones you want.

Also, have you tried putting your VK into A/B mode and cranking it?

Yes I know I was front row and I saw Timmy used a JCM800 and an Orange cab.. You mean the Dial half way ??

are you talking £ or $ btw? cus if it's $ then 1000 will NOT get you an orange half stack and in £ you'd just about pull that off with a rocker 30 head and matching cab
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Gabel
Well Orange are still pretty vintage voiced. The heaviest they get is 80's metal.

Not true, friends of mine in a death metal band recorded their entire EP on the studio's Oranges

I'd say go for a Rocker 30, love that amp, but why do you need a stack? Go for a nice combo!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I got a combo already, I want a stack..and i bet i could find a used orange for $1,000.. And I've seen tons of dual recs for $1000 on ebay.

Meh i think it's what i'll end up getting...

Quote by forsaknazrael
Well...do try it out first, of course...

I'd prefer a Peavey Classic 30 for what you play, but it's your money.

Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not true, friends of mine in a death metal band recorded their entire EP on the studio's Oranges

I'd say go for a Rocker 30, love that amp, but why do you need a stack? Go for a nice combo!

Well I was speakeing of the R30. I know the RVs and the Thunderverb are capable of metal.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Just got a new metal muff after my other one broke, a temporary solution, great tone .

you know have you tried changing the tubes in that amp... that can be a cost effective dramatic change... as is a speaker change
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
you know have you tried changing the tubes in that amp... that can be a cost effective dramatic change... as is a speaker change

Well, I've always wanted to get a 4x12 for it.. And Tubes I'm not really keen on what can a retubing job do ? and how much do they run

I've considered the JSX.. I really need to find somewhere to try all these out

Quote by tr3nt
Well, I've always wanted to get a 4x12 for it.. And Tubes I'm not really keen on what can a retubing job do ? and how much do they run

Retubing prices depend on what brand of tube, and how many there are. For my 40 watt Traynor, I paid 35 bucks for 2 KT77 tubes. Huge difference, for me, since it was 6L6 to KT77's.
I don't know how many or what type of tubes are in the VK.

A tube change and a speaker change for a VK is supposed be a really nice upgrade, from what I've hear, though.