Ok first time getting a new amp, so far right now I have a Fender 15G (gasp!) and I'm probably going to move up to a better amp some time in the area of Dec-Feb, I'd say my budget will be possibly in the area of $300-$500.

I've been looking at some tube amps and might settle on a Valve King but the main reason is that I've been looking at recommended Class-A tube amps and they appear to not get enough gain and bite for Hard Rock (think G'N'R, that would be my definition for as much as I'd probably drive my amp) and maybe some Alternative or Post-rock. And so far the Valve King appears to me to be the only one that'll be able to have enough gain to get those kinds of sounds with it's A/B setting.

My set-up consists of a Squier Affinity Strat, a '92 Gibson SG Special (has an ebony fret board), and come christmas I'll have an Agile AL-3000 CSB P90 (http://www.rondomusic.com/al-3000csbp90.html) so I'm going to be looking for an amp that can really bring out that bite and grit out of the P-90s.

I've also become interested in the Crate FlexWave but I've yet to find any sound samples to see if it's worth really looking at (I've gotten use to my 15G so another SS wouldn't be that bad if it's a decent improvement overall). So anyone who has experience with it please let me know how it is.

Thanks in advance...
Last edited by Wakisazhi at Sep 30, 2007,
Crate Palomino V32 or The Peavey Classic 30 will each do enough gain for G'n'R.

You really don't want another SS amp. In fact, I'd suggest you pass on that Agile guitar, and put the money towards the best amp you can get. You'll be worlds ahead if you do. A quality amp will do so much more for your sound than another guitar. Especially one that's inferior to the Gibby you already have.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The Flexwave would be an improvement but you will still be disappointed later. I think the Valveking will do what you want, although I am not that familiar with GNR. My VK has enough gain for blues/classic rock and Randy Rhoads-era metal. Nothing heavier without a pedal. Try one and others.
Quote by slatsmania
Crate Palomino V32 or The Peavey Classic 30 will each do enough gain for G'n'R.

You really don't want another SS amp. In fact, I'd suggest you pass on that Agile guitar, and put the money towards the best amp you can get. You'll be worlds ahead if you do. A quality amp will do so much more for your sound than another guitar. Especially one that's inferior to the Gibby you already have.

I'd like to save the money but the Agile is coming from a friend who's buying it for me, plus I've been really interested in getting a P-90 equipped guitar so I really couldn't say no.

Quote by uldhppi
The Flexwave would be an improvement but you will still be disappointed later. I think the Valveking will do what you want, although I am not that familiar with GNR. My VK has enough gain for blues/classic rock and Randy Rhoads-era metal. Nothing heavier without a pedal. Try one and others.

Ok thanks then, if the Valve King can get a Randy Rhoads-type metal sound it should be able to do well enough. I still want to demo one before I decide on purchasing it so next time I hit Guitar Center I'll probably check that and the other 2 suggestions from slats out.
well my personel fav is a marshall half stack but it is $600
Quote by Gunpowder
This article just proves that we should never underestimate the deadly potential of baked goods.

Quote by Gunpowder
This, my friends, is the quintessence of average Pit-goer's thought process & logic.

UG MISSILE BASE !
UG's Hate Crew group
Quote by joemunch66
well my personel fav is a marshall half stack but it is $600

That wouldn't be an MG, would it?
^Yeah same here, I was definitely not very satisfied with the quality of MG half-stacks (I swear my 15G sounds loads better tonally than those muddy monsters).
+1 to slats. you can get a classic 30 used for <$500
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Hmmm that Classic 30 is sounding pretty good from what I'm finding on youtube, I'll probably just have to hope I can catch a sale or get some kind of discount or just find a no-problem "just used" used one.
I traded for a mint condition Classic 30, paying the equivalent of $350-400 for it. You should have no problem finding one in that range. They're all over the place. Great little amps.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
that sounds good
Quote by Gunpowder
This article just proves that we should never underestimate the deadly potential of baked goods.

Quote by Gunpowder
This, my friends, is the quintessence of average Pit-goer's thought process & logic.

UG MISSILE BASE !
UG's Hate Crew group
yeah, i'd say a classic 30 has enough gain for G n R. haven't tried the palomino, but i guess it's worth a look too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?