Hey well ive decided I would really like to be playing guitar for a living. And being a session guitarist looks very good but i dont know how to go about it. So I need directions and tips to start.

At the moment i'm doing AS levels in college. But i'm not doing any thing to do with music, because I can't read sheet music so they won't let me on the courses. Will I need to be able to read it, if so I will learn.

Also ive been looking at guitar X's web site the guitar school. And that looks pritty good to do after college. Or maybe some other school somwhere else.

I will work very hard to get their cause this is what I want to do. The only other thing is to be in a band but the chances of my band now making it and ever being in a band that does are slim.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
You need to be very versatile, able to read sheet music, and record things in only a few takes (if they actually let you)
^^^ what he said
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
depends what you get hired for. youll probably need to be able to read music if you were to, for example, play guitar in a band for a musical production in a theatre or whatever.

you also need to be quite versatile, ie be able to play quite a few styles of music. so learning stuff like classical, funk, blues, jazz, reggae, or whatever really.

maybe learn bass too, and even drums. that makes you even more versatile.

i know it might seem a bit demanding but it does help. i can play anything if i need to.
you will have to be able to read sheet music, and be competent at every guitar technique in the book, and have like 500 pedals and know hoe to create loads of different sounds.
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
By the time ive finished My A levels in two years I should be able to read music. Also ive only been playing guitar for like a year and 9 months but i can play well and in two years time I should be amazing . Also being in a band now helps a hell of a lot.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by thewho65
You need to be very versatile, able to read sheet music, and record things in only a few takes (if they actually let you)

yeah, and it helps to be relatively easy to work with, then people will want you to play on their sessions.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
dont mean to sound harsh here, cause i like your gear.

but youll need better gear than that.
Quote by conman25
dont mean to sound harsh here, cause i like your gear.

but youll need better gear than that.

Well i'm 16 and not planning to start yet. Ill be buying better gear.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Versitality, Ease to work with, ability to perform and read sheet music are important as well as being able to improv and make up riffs on the spot.

It doesn't guarantee anything though, session work is a really competative industry.
Quote by stratele
By the time ive finished My A levels in two years I should be able to read music. Also ive only been playing guitar for like a year and 9 months but i can play well and in two years time I should be amazing . Also being in a band now helps a hell of a lot.

Unless you're a virtuoso of petrucci-esque proportions, you're going to need a lot more time than that to become a session guitarist.

Well, at least one who gets work.

Keep practicing, and don't stick to one style.
You will definitely need to be able to read music, sheet music - no tab if you wish to become a session guitarist. There is no way around it.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Also, learn how to sing. It makes you about twice as hireable
Singing is a no, purely cause I can't and I dont enjoy it as much. I'm guna learn bass one day and i can play a bit of keyboard.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by stratele
Singing is a no, purely cause I can't and I dont enjoy it as much. I'm guna learn bass one day and i can play a bit of keyboard.

Well...you can do whatever you want. But i'ts not going to be all about enjoying your self, i'ts going to be a job. There's really no good reason to say "no" to something taht would make your life a lot easier - in the career you want to have.
Session guitarists are extremely talented technically, it is easier to make it as an artist than a session guitarist I feel.