Warning - Mini essay incoming...

I'm just really after some suggestions about what I can change about my rig.

I currently use: Squier Strat, Epiphone Les Paul, DSL 401, MG15CDR, (Waiting on TS9)

I just got back from the guitar shop, cos the guy repaired my DSL 401 that apparently had some busted tubes. I did the silly thing of buying it on Ebay.

So I plug it in, and it's working fine. 10 Minutes later and it's back where it was. Weak distortion and just crap. The OD1 channel isn't even worth using. This is with both of my guitars.

Even when it was working, I found it way too trebly and the higher notes too sharp for my ears. The distortion still wasn't good enough, even when it was working.

So I plugged my guitars into my brothers MG250dfx, and it sounded so much better. Although I get what people mean about the MG's, the tone wasn't great.

I just don't know what to do right now. I've ordered a TS9 that should arrive tomorrow, maybe that will make my DSL 401 sound good. I'm gonna have to take it back to the shop though, to see what's wrong with it again.

If it still sounds crap, I think I'll sell it and just start from scratch. I'm also thinking of getting Swineshead pickups for the Epiphone, but I don't think that will make a massive difference to my current sound.

I just want a distorted sound, that allows me to play metal/hard rock with good tone. I'm just not getting it right now.

So what would your suggestions be? Should I sell the DSL and look for another amp? To be honest, 40 Watts of Tube is a bit much for just my bedroom anyway. Although I do hope to gig at some point in the future.

Thanks for reading.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Even though I'm completely opposed to saying it, and I will burn in hell for being a hypocrite I would be so inclined to think that the tubes may be improperly biased.
I think u should get an Epi Blues Custom. It has a tube rectifier and is switchable from 15w A/B to 30w Class A. its $550, so if u do sell the DSL, youll have some money left over id think. And the TS9 should work for some good gain.
^i think an improperly biased tube, or maybe a bad power outlet ur plugging into.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Apparently July '06ers think alike... The TS9 won't make a difference if the amp is bork'd anyways, I would suggest taking it to a different shop and getting a second opinion because it'll be hard sell if it sounds like shat
I have no idea what that means, surely the guitar tech at the shop would have put them in correctly? I can check the power supply though...

I play Metallica/Bon Jovi/Iron Maiden/Guns/Pink Floyd
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

It is generally a good idea to check the power tube bias each time the power tubes are replaced, especially in a fixed bias amp. If the power tube bias is incorrect for the power tubes being used, they can sound bad and/or can literally burn themselves out by dissipating too many watts, sometimes with disastrous effects.

Hopefully that explains it. It is also definitely a good idea to get this done by a professional, nasty side-effects including making the problem worse and of course that tiny little afterthought called death.
Last edited by Kayfan at Sep 30, 2007,
Ok I can try and get a second opinion, I'll have to hunt down some other shops.

Thanks guys.

For the record, if it does decide to work one day - With my gear and that amp, can I get the sounds I'm after?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Ok am I just tone deaf or do MG's not actually sound that bad?

Maybe I'm just buying things for the sake of it. My Les Paul sounds awesome through my MG15CDR. The distortion is awesome.

Wish I hadn't bought the tube screamer now.

I'm going back to the shop on Wednesday to see if the guy can fix the DSL again, then I'll probably sell it. It's too loud for my bedroom anyhow.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby