Page 5 of 468
I'm a bit new to black metal, I was watching this thing on black metal on rockworld which I thought kicked ass so I was wondering what black metal bands are highly reccomended
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by technicolour

I feel like listening to In the nightshade eclipse for some reason.

Anyone else notices how fall/winter really make you want to listen to black/folk metal more?

Good choice!

Yeah I do....actually, not black metal as much..but more Finntroll, Vintersorg, Wintersun, etc. Its very..."this time of year"
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Oh stfu. Just because Running Wild have an obsession with pirates, it doesn't change the fact that they're heavy metal. Music is about sound, it's not literature. That said, sure, some of those bands were like black/thrash at the most.

I guess history professors are just making shit up too? Because they certainly weren't alive during Alexander the Great's days.[/QUOTE]

Poor logic when comparing it with the history of black metal. If you deny the fact that Mercyful Fate, Venom and Bathory were the first wave of black metal, then you are sadly mistaken. And as for "music is about sound, not it's literature" you are wrong yet again. At least when it comes to black metal. The genre has a very strict line when it comes to what's black metal and not, and that's why you have so many people going "it's no true kvlt" everytime someone mentions Dimmu Borgir.

I used to think like you, but after really reading and talking to people who are deep into this kind of things it made sense why they think like they do.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
You're both wrong. Sure some black metal is about the message, but most is about the atmosphere it gives off.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
You're both wrong. Sure some black metal is about the message, but most is about the atmosphere it gives off.

I like old black metal...that sounds that way, because of their accessability...but when people do **** like make raw production on purpose...thats just ghey.

In my opinion, good black metal is capable of giving that eerie winter atmosphere while still having cool riffs....but i still love old stuff.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Teh Forest King
I like old black metal...that sounds that way, because of their accessability...but when people do **** like make raw production on purpose...thats just ghey.

In my opinion, good black metal is capable of giving that eerie winter atmosphere while still having cool riffs....but i still love old stuff.

Oh well no doubt about that. When I say atmosphere I'm not only talking about the raw stuff, which I do really love for some reason. But if you look at Immortal and Emperor, it really gives a great atmosphere and, I don't know, makes you think/mind wander. Which is what I really like about black metal. I could give a **** about lyric content though. I really don't care about lyrics at all.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

Quote by CaptainOfSmug

No, it's a combination of both. So I'm not wrong.

If I sang about Bobo the kittycat over something that's so necro that people die from listening to it, it still wouldn't be black metal.
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
I disagree, although I don't think I"d listen to it once I found out it was about that But overall I don't care what they talk about as long as the music gives off a good feel. But I do think it would be black metal. Just because it's not the tr00 kvlt bands doesn't mean that this newer generation of black metal isn't black metal. ****ty as it may be though. And then the new black metal bands just copy the 2nd wave and is just rehashed and it just is gay. Same with corpsepaint, no new black metal band should wear it. At first it was used to represent something and now we have all these douches copying them for no real reason other then to be "kvlt" and then the real bands just stopped using it all together.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

I kinda agree with you dude. But I still think the message is still an important factor. We could compromise and agree that you can't sing about anything and call it black metal, ya?

As for corpse paint and stuff like that..I agree. A lot of bands just copies something that's already been done 6000 times and that's that you know.Same goes for music.

That's why I don't listen to black metal very much. Only newer Emperor, newer Satyricon, Zyklon B and Anaal Nathrakh.
So i was being a mall rat this weekend, and picked up a used version of Melissa by Mercyful Fate for $8.

Best
Purchase
EVer
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Mongochromat
I kinda agree with you dude. But I still think the message is still an important factor. We could compromise and agree that you can't sing about anything and call it black metal, ya?

No no no no no no fucking no. FUCK. God fucking damnit no. Music is fucking music for fuck's sake, if you take a grim nekro song and just change the lyrics to be light and fluffy it's still a grim and nekro song because it would still have the same ferocity, and it would still be just as campy as if the lyrics were about death and satan and suicide. How about artists that focus on nature? There's no uber grim nekro kvlt message there, there's just the black metal sound and atmosphere. Besides, whether you're going to accept the truth or not, as Fenriz said, black metal is all about individualism and it doesn't matter what other people think - ergo, you do whatever you want, not what some dead faggot thinks you should do (lol Euronymous)

AND VENOM IS WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THRASH. They just invented the term black metal and the general image.
Fenriz also says that Venom is black metal, so what do you think now?

Edit: As far as people singing about the nature and stuff, I've never denied the fact that it can be black metal. It's very typical for bands from the north who actually got the forest, winter, mountains and what not to celebrate the fact.
Last edited by Mongochromat at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by Mongochromat
Fenriz also says that Venom is black metal, so what do you think now?

hes wrong
Pfft, the first wave of BM, was BM before the second wave, yet the second wave is what we associate BM with.. its all confusing
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
If you listen to Venom they do sound like EARLY black metal, which is what it really is. They ARE considered the first wave of black metal, thats why they are associated with it. They started some of the image, name, AND sounded like it. They are black metal whatever you guys wanna say. I thought it was widely accepted that it was. Why does it even matter so much anyways?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

i just got dissections Storm of the Light's Bane... its so awesome...what do u guys think about dissection?

Black Metal
Last edited by Metal_defender at Oct 15, 2007,
Quote by Phillipa C.
back in the mid 80's black metal was not judged by the style of the music but by the lyrical content. which is why Venom, Mercyful Fate, Sabbat, Slayer, Hellhammer and Death SS were all considered black metal. it wasn't until Euronymous started laying down the law in the early 90's that all of these rules applied that everyone seems to parrot these days.
sure Bathory is musically the foundation for modern black metal. but if there's anyone here who wasn't in nappies (or not yet alive) in the 80's.... don't make out that you know the history of metal, you weren't even around when it was happening.

Well said.

Have you heard much of Trench Hell? (the Aussie band). Total Hellhammer worship and it rules.
Shadilay.
Its a shame that this is kinda true. I like black metal but the first couple of videos are chessy. Though the ones that are supposed to suck most don't.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IfTFTTzn85c
By the way, judging from that one song Ancient are pretty good. I had never heard of them till now. It's obvious I don't get out much.
Hey can someone recommend me some good black metal?

I listen to 1349, Immortal, and Mayhem, but I don't really know where to go from there.

Thanks.
EMPEROR!!!!! Check out the album In the Nightside Eclipse, black metal gold for you there.

Heres a grim smiley for you on your journeys lol }[
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

if you like melodic, majestic stuff go for Emperor and like.. Ulver or something.

For raw side (like if you prefer old fast paced Immortal especially) then look into Marduk.
Quote by SuicideNation
if you like melodic, majestic stuff go for Emperor and like.. Ulver or something.

For raw side (like if you prefer old fast paced Immortal especially) then look into Marduk.

Ok so Emperor and Marduk. I will check them out.

What Marduk album should I start off with?

Thanks.
For Marduk I recommend Opus Nocturne.
Also, check out Anaal Nathrakh!
Quote by Mongochromat
Also, check out Anaal Nathrakh!

I've been meaning to check them out for the past year or so. Now is a good time to do so I guess.
Quote by Metal_defender
i just got dissections Storm of the Light's Bane... its so awesome...what do u guys think about dissection?

Black Metal

One of my favourite, if not THE favourite bands. So much wasted potential, too...

Two great albums, and one really terrible one

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I actually liked Reinkaos. Am I the only one lol?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

im not really into black metal, but does anybody know anything similar to "the work that transforms god?"
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
I actually liked Reinkaos. Am I the only one lol?

no, Tony seems to as well... but bland melodeath riffs that are as uninspired as a turtle on anaesthetics just don't do it for me. The vocals and acoustic guitars are still awesome, but the songwriting just plain sucks

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Oct 16, 2007,
Quote by Mongochromat
For Marduk I recommend Opus Nocturne.

I got it, it's an awesome album, as well as "Fuck Me Jesus".

Thanks for the recommendation.
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I got it, it's an awesome album, as well as "Fuck Me Jesus".

Thanks for the recommendation.

"Nightwing" and "Those of Unlight" are good ones too. Avoid "Panzer Division Marduk" like the plague.
Quote by Rengori
"Nightwing" and "Those of Unlight" are good ones too. Avoid "Panzer Division Marduk" like the plague.

I will give them look.

But I think the plague is awesome.. I will avoid the album though.
Quote by Aqua Dementia
Hey can someone recommend me some good black metal?

Darkthrone, Bathory & Burzum are the 3 essentials. All of these albums a must:

Darkthrone "A blaze in the northern sky"
Darkthrone "Under a funeral moon"
Burzum "Burzum"
Burzum "Det som engang var"
Burzum "Hvis lyset tar oss"
Bathory "Bathory"
Bathory "The Return"
Bathory "Under the sign of the black mark"

Quote by morbid_death
Well said.

Have you heard much of Trench Hell? (the Aussie band). Total Hellhammer worship and it rules.

can't say I have, I've been out of the loop with Aussie metal for a while now. will check out though.
Last edited by Phillipa C. at Oct 17, 2007,
personally i thin Cradle of Filth is god(s) but there genere is sometimes debated... i think they sound most like blavk metal though. I also like Dimmu Borgir, which tend to sound like COF too but whatever they rock.