I know this question has been asked over a million times, but each situation is different in it's own way...so here's the thing...

My brother and I are looking for a good solid state amp for around $500. I'd like it to be around 100 watts (Though I'll go lower, but no lower than 50), have some "volume" to it, have at least 2 channels (One clean and one distortion), and have a decent sound to it. Any good suggestions? Thanks in advance.

We play alot of rock/metal. And I figure that solid state amps are cheaper and you get more wattage, but that isn't always better, I know. I'd much rather have a tubed amp, but this amp won't be permanent..We just need something to play around with.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll look more into the whole amp thing...In my opinion, though, and I think someone said something similar below.. I think that a high watt solid state amp sounds better turned up, as my brother's Randall amp has proven that very well.
Last edited by Skarr at Oct 1, 2007,
Can I just ask, why solid state? If you got a 30 watt all-tube amp, it will be loud enough for most size gigs, and with a 50W, you'd get an even bigger clean headroom.
Depends on what kind of music you play, but I think a Cube 60 would be a pretty good choice. Check it out here:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=640

It's very eye pleasing, and has very good sound and features for a solid state amp (at least in my opinion)

It's also pretty flexible, most people say it's mostly for heavier stuff, but I think it's good for all kinds of music with it's 7 amp model selecter.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
ibanez toneblasters are cheap. aint too bad if you got a pedal or two
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
why the hell do you want so much 'wattage'? unless your gigging pretty damned hard
watts dont mean good, they mean how loud, id go for a 5 watt tube amp of a 600w ss amp anyday
Quote by Skarr
I'd much rather have a tubed amp, but this amp won't be permanent..We just need something to play around with.

There should be a wide selection of used tube combos in the 30-40W range that you could get for under $500. The Palomino V32 sells for $500, the VK 1x12 sells for less than that. If you'd much rather have a tube amp, why not get one now that could be permanent?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I think you may be falling prey to the misconceptions about tube amps. 50 watts tube is very loud and is a candidate for being a permanent amp for sure.
Quote by uldhppi
I think you may be falling prey to the misconceptions about tube amps. 50 watts tube is very loud and is a candidate for being a permanent amp for sure.

exactly
have a look at the vox valvetronix series, they make a metal line of the same amps too, and the 50w version falls right into your price range.

i have the AD50vt
its pretty darn nice, you have to be smarter than the average chimp to use it (alot of people around here arent) but once you figure it out, prettymuch any sound you'd like can come out of it. it has a decent speaker, its a celestion 70/80, so you can delay upgrading that for some time, i would drop a good tube in it to suit your tastes right away. the chinese pos tube they have in it leaves much to be desired.

and it pairs really nicely with a v30, so if you ever want to really stretch its legs thats the way to go.

also, take the back off it, it lets it breathe a little, and you can always put it back on later.
Quote by slatsmania
There should be a wide selection of used tube combos in the 30-40W range that you could get for under $500. The Palomino V32 sells for $500, the VK 1x12 sells for less than that. If you'd much rather have a tube amp, why not get one now that could be permanent?

Listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about. And, I can assure you that he is 100% right.

But, if you're dead set on a SS amp for now, my vote goes to the Roland Cube 60 previously mentioned.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
hmm used B-52 At 112? 60 tube watts. Commonly agrred that it can do any rock, many find it suitable for metal. Nice cleans too, they can just be unreliable. Although I would imagine a used one with a few years on it would have any issues straightened out. Right up your alley if you can find it. The palomino series is a good one too, just a little less gain.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
Quote by stephen_rettie
why the hell do you want so much 'wattage'? unless your gigging pretty damned hard
watts dont mean good, they mean how loud, id go for a 5 watt tube amp of a 600w ss amp anyday

Actually watts do mean good.
The more watts the better the sound quality.
You could technically make a 10W amp as loud as a 100W amp, but the sound quality would get worse and worse as it is amplified. That's why the amp makers put a limit on the volume, as they don't want their amps to sound bad.
Quote by metrobunny61
hmm used B-52 At 112? 60 tube watts. Commonly agrred that it can do any rock, many find it suitable for metal. Nice cleans too, they can just be unreliable. Although I would imagine a used one with a few years on it would have any issues straightened out. Right up your alley if you can find it. The palomino series is a good one too, just a little less gain.

Actually, the used ones seem to be where the trouble is at. They have lots of problems with noise and over all quality. If you buy B52, I would highly advise buying new (which puts it out of your price range) or one made within the last year.

Watts =/= Tone
Quote by Ash_2608
You could technically make a 10W amp as loud as a 100W amp, but the sound quality would get worse and worse as it is amplified. That's why the amp makers put a limit on the volume, as they don't want their amps to sound bad.

Only with SS amps. With tube amps, it happens to be quite the opposite. A 2002er who hasn't read the sticky?

^ And yes, to the guy above me, he is correct.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
go tube all the way,

something Fender, around 30w will get you a beautiful sound, with as much volume as your probably ever going to need
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
-Frank Zappa