Page 1 of 2
So i did some research and tested a lot of amps and i think i've narrowed it down to either a B-52 AT-100 head or a Peavey 6505+ with a B-52 ST-412 cab. The B-52 route is a lot closer to my price range, but i have never been able to play both heads side by side. Is it worth it to try and get a job (i'm 16) to earn the $600 more (the B-52 is in my price range at the moment) for the peavey? I will be using this stack for practice and gigs a little less than once a week.
peavey sounds like it would be worth it more, and alot cooler
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
the peavey is just an all round better amp. its like a level higher than the b52.
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
id think that a B-52 could get sounds like the Peavey with some good pedals, but a 6505+ is probably better than the B-52 by far. id save for a while.
Quote by lanzaa
the peavey is just an all round better amp. its like a level higher than the b52.

scale of 1-10 what does each of the amps rank for an early metallica through august burns red kind of sound?
Quote by lanzaa

you have an B-52 AT. how has it been working for you
If you're going to be dropping so much cash, get a Mesa head, Mark series. That will def. be a better option
^ +1
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ASGTrace
If you're going to be dropping so much cash, get a Mesa head, Mark series. That will def. be a better option

not THAT much. i'm a high schooler with no joband no allowance. right now i have $1500 TOPS for a head and cab not just one
$400 more gets you the mark IV combo.

The B-52 has better cleans, while the peavey's gain channel is more over the top than the b-52.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Haha, Crackhead

i think i need to be more specific for what i'm looking for. i will be using whatver i get for my high school jazz band, a nu - metal band, metallica cover band and a hardcore band. i have an sg with EMG 81, 85. does that one have just as good of cleans and blues sounds as the AT-100?
From my understanding, yes, it does. But, I haven't tried it out myself. I plan to do so sometime soon.

Why are you using active EMGs if you want good cleans, though? I don't see any need for that much output from the bands you listed.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
From my understanding, yes, it does. But, I haven't tried it out myself. I plan to do so sometime soon.

Why are you using active EMGs if you want good cleans, though? I don't see any need for that much output from the bands you listed.

i forgot to mention the cleans are for jazz band and i use a fender tele for that. all the metal type stuff i use the EMG guitar and usually play lead, lots of pinch harmonics, tremelo picking, etc.
Ah, well, I'm not totally sure. But, I do believe its cleans are just as good. You never really know 'til you check it out yourself, though.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Buy used. That's all I have to say...

You can get a used 5150, the exact same thing as the 6505 for cheaper than the B-52 is new. You could also get a Mesa Mark IV combo for $1000-1300 and have a better amp than both for cheaper than buying the 6505 new.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Buy used. That's all I have to say...

You can get a used 5150, the exact same thing as the 6505 for cheaper than the B-52 is new. You could also get a Mesa Mark IV combo for $1000-1300 and have a better amp than both for cheaper than buying the 6505 new.

i've never really trusted used equipment, but where would you suggest finding this stuff and knowing its reliable?
craigslist. almost all of my current gear is used and i've had very few problems. just inspect and try it all out yourself before committing to the buy. you can get some really great deals by going used.
Quote by climhazzard
craigslist. almost all of my current gear is used and i've had very few problems. just inspect and try it all out yourself before committing to the buy. you can get some really great deals by going used.

+1, I always find good deals on ebay too, but I don't think I'd ever buy gear off there, I'd want to play it before hand to make sure that it isn't what I want when it gets to my house.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think its Appl vs Orange here really. the B-52 is more like a Mesa Triple Rec. while the Peavey 6505+/5150 are unique beasts. Play them first and find which one you like the best.
Quote by CJRocker
I think its Appl vs Orange here really. the B-52 is more like a Mesa Triple Rec. while the Peavey 6505+/5150 are unique beasts. Play them first and find which one you like the best.

thanks, i've played both but never side by side or even the same day.

in terms of cabs i've liked this one http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_b52_st412_280w_4x12_guitar_cabinet_with_celestion_vintage_30s?full_sku=602079%2e387
but if anyone has any suggestions for something better in that price range please tell me.
Quote by kornliaslumpica
you have an B-52 AT. how has it been working for you

its great. i love it to death and is just perfect for me at the moment. i would not need to upgrade unless i wanted to upgrade
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by kornliaslumpica
never heard of avatar. has anyone played one of their cabs?

I have, old guitarist in my band used to own one and it was a great cab, I've actually been considering selling my Marshall 1960 and getting one of the Avatars with Vintage 30s in it. Amazing cabs for the money.

The bass player in my band also has an avatar 4x10, but that's a bass cab
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
You have enough for a 6505 combo, why don't you just get that?

You don't need a half stack.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
You have enough for a 6505 combo, why don't you just get that?

You don't need a half stack.

how do you know i don't need one?
plus combo's always break on me
Quote by kornliaslumpica

because there is a really high chance that you arent playing sold out concerts and whatnot.

you must also have bad luck with combos thne
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Nah, the 6505 combo is wicked heavy for a combo, almost 85 LBS!!!!!

So to all the mindless zombie losers toting the "GET THE COMBO!" line, the 5150/6505 is one of those amps that that line doesn't really apply to.

However, getting the head and a 212 cab would own.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Half stacks are fun though. Sometimes that rock-star feeling just comes across better with a half-stack. Also great for pissing off neighbors that suck.

+1 for the halfstack, and go Peavey! I have a circa 1974-75 head that I use with my baritones. Peavey is very reliable, and definitely decent on price.
Quote by More Muff!
Half stacks are fun though. Sometimes that rock-star feeling just comes across better with a half-stack. Also great for pissing off neighbors that suck.

A tube combo is still loud enough to piss of the neighbors, easily.

The 5150/6505 combo is heavy as hell I'd rather carry my 4x12 than the combo, but I personally like the sound of the combo more than the head.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by kornliaslumpica

have you considered then that maybe a half stack will break on you aswell? But to be fair you'd probably be better off with a half stack if you get the 6505 as the speakers on peaveys aren't really that good. But with a good cab they can be mindblowing...
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Reincaster
Nah, the 6505 combo is wicked heavy for a combo, almost 85 LBS!!!!!

So to all the mindless zombie losers toting the "GET THE COMBO!" line, the 5150/6505 is one of those amps that that line doesn't really apply to.

However, getting the head and a 212 cab would own.

Cute little rant.

Anyway, I was simply saying if he is in such need of getting a 6505, but can't save the extra $500, I suggested get the combo.

Quote by kornliaslumpica
i've never really trusted used equipment, but where would you suggest finding this stuff and knowing its reliable?

Mesa boogies are built extremely tough. The only problems you should ever have with one is a tube problem.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
You shouldn't really compare a B-52 AT to a Peavey 6505. The B-52 is one of the best tube amps in its price range, and so is the Peavey. Both are fantastic for their price.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Cute little rant.

Anyway, I was simply saying if he is in such need of getting a 6505, but can't save the extra $500, I suggested get the combo.

Why not get the 5150 head used for half price, and pair it with a Vader cab? Costs less thab a new 6505 combo and is the same thing. I wasn't even talking to you, I was aiming at the large group of people that will cry "combo!" just to go along with the crowd.

If he can save for the cab, why not? It will be infinitely more portable than the combo. I'd rater wait and save up a tiny bit more than to just get something "now" that has long term disadvantages.

Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Oct 1, 2007,
i tested out my friends amps who own both a 6505 and a b 52 and the b 52 was more of the sound i was looking for so i don't really need any more suggestions, i know what i'm gettin
Quote by Reincaster
Why not get the 5150 head used for half price, and pair it with a Vader cab? Costs less thab a new 6505 combo and is the same thing. I wasn't even talking to you, I was aiming at the large group of people that will cry "combo!" just to go along with the crowd.

If he can save for the cab, why not? It will be infinitely more portable than the combo. I'd rater wait and save up a tiny bit more than to just get something "now" that has long term disadvantages.

A half stack is more portable than a combo?

What is a long term disadvantage of owning a 6505 combo vs. half stack?

You even said a combo is the same as a half stack in that little paragraph you wrote.

Quit making dumb arguments.
Page 1 of 2