Ok so I am building a cab soon so I have a few questions...

I am using these speakers. It says they have an impedence of 8 or 16.

Now my head I am using has jacks for 4, 8 and 16 impedence loads. What would be the best way to wire these? And what are the pro and cons of wiring them in different configurations?

Also where do I get tolex, grille cloth, handles, corners etc? I am I soposed to use some fancy wire for the actual wiring?

Thanks
how many speakers r u getting? that goes for the wiring configs...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero

Thanks man, that'll even help me later on.... I got my eyes set on some Black Label speakers.... and I wana make a 4 speaker cab outa them... lol.

<edit>
I got lots of plans... I should make a list and start makeing my dream plans a reality Lol.
Last edited by WickedBeast666 at Oct 1, 2007,
So if I had 2 8ohm speakers and wired them in series I would get 16ohms?

If I used 2 8ohm speakers and wired them in paralled I would get 4ohms right?

Which is better, louder?

Also where can I get tolex and handles and such?

And do I just wire the + and - to a mono jack? Does it matter if the + goes to the tip or not?
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Oct 1, 2007,
^^ As long as you match the impedance, the rating doesn't really matter. Two 8 ohm speakers in series will sound the same as in parallel, provided the head can provide the right impedance.
most heads have like 60 watts in 8 ohms 55 watts in 4 ohms 50 watts in 16 ohms kinda stuff.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by cokeisbetter
^^ As long as you match the impedance, the rating doesn't really matter. Two 8 ohm speakers in series will sound the same as in parallel, provided the head can provide the right impedance.

Actually, Guitar World's last issue, I think, or the one before that actually...said that speakers wired in series sound more "raw" than ones wired in parallel. I've never really messed with speaker wiring, but I thought I'd just toss it out there.
Usually a head will have eight, but it's common to have one for four, eight, and sixteen, or a rotary selector.