Lets say I haven't listened to Song A for a couple weeks. I'm messing around on guitar and am able to come up with the riff for Song A in the correct pitch and key and I know it, then I listen to the song again and I'm right. Does this mean I have the capacity for learning perfect pitch? Cause from what I understand most people aren't capable of having perfect pitch no matter how hard they practice.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Yeah a good ear is really something you're born with, although you can train it. So yes you could learn to get perfect pitch. Lot of time and work though.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
anybody can do what u did from what i understand
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by copet
Lets say I haven't listened to Song A for a couple weeks. I'm messing around on guitar and am able to come up with the riff for Song A in the correct pitch and key and I know it, then I listen to the song again and I'm right. Does this mean I have the capacity for learning perfect pitch? Cause from what I understand most people aren't capable of having perfect pitch no matter how hard they practice.

did you try learning the song before? if not then yeah you have capability.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
If you've already heard the song and then had the chance to experiment on guitar with what sounds right and what doesn't, then I don't think that constitutes as perfect pitch. Having perfect pitch means that you can instantly tell what note is being played, the first time you hear it, without any other notes for comparison.
Love is not a victory march.
Last edited by shakysam at Sep 30, 2007,
NOBODY can learn perfect pitch, it' physicaly impossible, if you have it it's because you were born with it, but you can't learn it, knowing how to tune by ear and getting it near perfect is different, it's just repetition
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
You can't learn perfect pitch.
If you are pitch perfect, then you're darn lucky.
You can,however, train your ear and get close to being pitch perfect.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Perfect Pitch is something your born with. Its very rare, and only 1 in about 200 people in the world have the skill. Its the ability to identify a note without hearing it compared to another note. If u know the names of the notes, someone could randomly play a note on anything, and you can identify it easily. Its not learned at all i dont think, but id say u do have a good ear.
I know of a man who has perfect pitch, ask him to sell it to you

Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by qotsa1998
Perfect Pitch is something your born with. Its very rare, and only 1 in about 200 people in the world have the skill. Its the ability to identify a note without hearing it compared to another note. If u know the names of the notes, someone could randomly play a note on anything, and you can identify it easily. Its not learned at all i dont think, but id say u do have a good ear.

Try 1 in 10,000. And most of the people who have perfect pitch are not musicians and not aware of their ability.
I have it
your born with it, I'm lucky enough to have it and can sing a song spot on by request from my mates prior to them stickin on the cd, which freaks them out, I'm still not a particularly good guitarist though justaverage. I can, however tune a guitar quicker than a mother****er.
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
there's a cheap way to kinda get it, you can figure out what note you make when you make your voice as low or high as it can go, and kinda get the feel for when you're making the note. then just learn to identify how many steps each note is above that.
Perfect pitch just has to be worked on. It helps if you were born with a good ear, but I'm pretty sure anyone can do it.

I'm just rated with excellent pitch though =(. I guess that doesn't totally suck, since I don't really pitch train.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by Walkin'Basser
Try 1 in 10,000. And most of the people who have perfect pitch are not musicians and not aware of their ability.
I have it

Quote by bart munch
your born with it, I'm lucky enough to have it and can sing a song spot on by request from my mates prior to them stickin on the cd, which freaks them out, I'm still not a particularly good guitarist though justaverage. I can, however tune a guitar quicker than a mother****er.

2 in a row? That is either a huge coincidence and either you are both very lucky or at least one of you is talking crap. That's pretty awesome if you both genuinely do. I'm jealous.

TS, there's every chance it was just coincidence, the average guitarist could probably narrow it down to maybe half an octave or so, meaning you've got a 1/4 chance of getting it right, if you can do it a few more times then you're probably pretty gifted.
Seriously I don't see the big deal about perfect pitch. Some people hate it because they can never appreciate some music that's slightly out of tune.
Quote by excalibur672
Seriously I don't see the big deal about perfect pitch. Some people hate it because they can never appreciate some music that's slightly out of tune.

I do get very pissed off when listening to bands with an instrument out of tune, but I don't think perfect pitch is necessary for that cause you can hear the instrument relative to the others
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
i think he means when the entire song is tuned slightly off the actual key they say it's in.

Oh. well that I can live with, I'm not a complete asshole...... yet
no perfect pitch is something your born with. end of story. you cannot develop perfect pitch. You can however, if your blessed with anything remotley resembling an ear for music (and it seems like you actually do have quite a good ear) its possible to, with practice develop such beastly relative pitch that it is almost indistinguishable (sp?) from having perfect pitch except, well you dont. But perfect pitch does has its downsides, as may who have it are put in bordeline pain from notes that are slightly out of pitch. However, id begin singing with a piano, singing notes and then bending them up or down one (or 1/2) step, as well as singing with your guitar.
if you decided to try play the song in your favorite key, and it was actually correct, instead of actually trying to determine the right key, you have failed.
ehh