Hey everyone...I was thinking of getting a new guitar and I've always dug Explorers, but the Gibson models are so expensive and I was wondering if just getting the Epiphone would be worth it...so if you could like give me some overview of the quality of the tone and the pickups and your opinion on this whole deal I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Epiphone is basiclally Gibson but cheaper and made of different wood etc (I think).

If you can find one pretty cheap then go for it, but i prefer the ESP/LTD explorers myself.
the epiphone korina explorers are very worth it (i think), i've only played the korina V's aand I must say I think korina is a very nice wood and is up there with my top woods (granted i've only played about 6 or 7 different types) the pups were ok but nothing to scream about, still worth the money though
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Well maybe giving you the type of music I play would help a bit. The band I'm in plays mainly heavy stuff, but we also like to mix it up into like every genre. We have songs all over, but mainly heavy stuff. Haha...if it's confusing I'm sorry. But I would like a guitar that would be plenty versatile.
If u can get a guitar that doesnt buzz from the neck, you can set it up well, and it would be great. A pickup change and you would be fine. id get one simply b/c they arent too expensive, look great, and would be great to have. Altho in Epi Les Pauls, they dont always have a solid mahogany body and a solid maple cap. Sometimes theres layers of other wood in between the mahogany. its cost-effective, weight is reduced, and it still sounds great. it might be the same way with the Explorers, but its not too bad.
get the goth one
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Get the Korina one - I was looking into it once, and I only head about how it was amazing, and people referred to it as the highest-quality Epiphone [minus the Elitists, of course.]
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
You'll have a better chance of getting a quality guitar if you went with a Hamer Standard.

Better build quality, pickups, and electronics.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by Punk_Ninja
The Epi Korina Explorer has got some great comments, check that out.

Best Epiphone I've ever played, bar the really expensive Dots and such.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
And would the Korina model cover all the bases I would need? Also, all I seem to be able to find is it in this yellow-ish finish...is that all there is? I know finish color is pretty trivial but I have always loved the ebony look of an Explorer. Thanks.
I've played and seriously considered the Epiphone 1958 Explorer as a next guitar. The one that I've played sounded great, felt amazing, and was pretty balanced for such a big bodied guitar. Id definitely check one out.
I've got one. It looks and plays beautifully. For the price, it's agreat guitar.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by deathforyouth
And would the Korina model cover all the bases I would need? Also, all I seem to be able to find is it in this yellow-ish finish...is that all there is? I know finish color is pretty trivial but I have always loved the ebony look of an Explorer. Thanks.

The whole point to that finish is so you can see the grain on the Korina .

Korina and Mahogany are similar tonally; you could just get the Goth Explorer (for $100 cheaper ).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
But is it that bright yellow, haha? I just think I'm going with the Korina...sounds awesome. And I plan on buying a Peavey Ultra Plus head off of Ebay...you guys know anything about those? Haha
Quote by FacingUsAll
The whole point to that finish is so you can see the grain on the Korina .

Korina and Mahogany are similar tonally; you could just get the Goth Explorer (for $100 cheaper ).

+2

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

The Mahogany is slightly "warmer" than Korina. Also, you can still get the Epi Explorer without the FR for about $200.

hamer standards are amazing, i second them.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Best Epiphone I've ever played, bar the really expensive Dots and such.

i find your sig most informational
The pickups is insanely bad, but if you swap them for a 59/JB-combo or something, it rocks
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball