This thread is about people in the world who have a 'Savant,' which is essentially exceptional mental ability. The main man as it were is called Kim Peek. He remembers everything he has ever read and can readily answer questions on it. He is in the first video. He is the man the film 'the rain man' is based on. He can play music he has only heard, first time. The second video is of a man called Daniel Tammet. He can He can do 36 to the power of four in his head within 10 seconds. Just watch what he does next and you'll be amazed.

Kim Peek;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfDEAIszuQI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2T45r5G3kA. Watch this one if you can. Its in a series, the others are in the description.

Daniel Tammet;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVVQ0FZeys

I havn't been so shocked in a long time. I knew about savants but these guys are just extraordinary.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
He can do 36 to the power of four in his head within 10 seconds.

Erm, its not hard to remember the answer to that.
I take it you mean he can calculate sums LIKE 36 to the power of 4 in his head within 10 seconds.

Sometimes I'm jealous of those kind of people

othertimes I think it would be a curse to be that smart. Truth is, I like it when I don't get things. I like the feeling you get when you DO get it.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Indeed, it sucks that there are usually emotional/mental drawbacks to being so gifted or quirky.

It seems like the higher human intelligence gets, a harder time is had by the body and mind trying to restrain it and keep its act together. 'Tis a shame.
My God, it's full of stars!
Being a savant doesn't always mean you're autistic.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy
Being a savant doesn't always mean you're autistic.

who said anything about being autistic?
Quote by Renka

there was a documentary about savants on the television a while ago and both of them were in it
I see no sign of fortress.
i bet you that second guy never got laid.....
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I betcha savants know how to spell "genius" correctly.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Dreadnought
Indeed, it sucks that there are usually emotional/mental drawbacks to being so gifted or quirky.

It seems like the higher human intelligence gets, a harder time is had by the body and mind trying to restrain it and keep its act together. 'Tis a shame.

Suicide is highest amongst sheep herders and gifted individuals.

(I'm not even kidding).

Apparatently, understanding the world around you is just as depressing as herding sheep. Dentists come at a close third.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by OddOneOut
who said anything about being autistic?

Dreadnought. He didn't specifically say autistic, but it sounded like he meant it.
Gear...
Quote by abcdboy
Dreadnought. He didn't specifically say autistic, but it sounded like he meant it.

?

WHAT?

Quote by Mrs B(my old english teacher xD)
When it comes to understanding text and finding deeper meanings, it's ok to dive beneath the surface, maybe snorkel a bit. All thats fine. Just don't drown. Drowning is too far.

I honestly don't think Dreadnought was implying that they are autistic.

Maybe you're getting confused with the fact that many people who have Asperger's Syndrome are also highly intelligent.
Quote by Renka

Quote by OddOneOut
?

WHAT?

I honestly don't think Dreadnought was implying that they are autistic.

Maybe you're getting confused with the fact that many people who have Asperger's Syndrome are also highly intelligent.

"Emotional drawbacks"

Sounds like autism, or Asperger's to me.
Gear...
Im not trying to be an asshole here, but alot of you are saying that savants are intelligent, but this may not be so. Just because they have an outstanding ability in a certain area does not make tham intelligent. It is amazing how he can remeber everything he has ever read with 98.2% recall (not sure if thats correct, and yes i do understand the irony if I am wrong), but it could be that if you ask him to make connections between two different time periods and ask him to figure out how they had an effect on each other, he may not be able to figure it out.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
Quote by abcdboy
"Emotional drawbacks"

Sounds like autism, or Asperger's to me.

NO.

Just no.

An emotional drawback can be experienced in a large variety of situations. It DOES NOT sound like autism or Asperger's. Emotional drawbacks are consequences.
Quote by Renka

"impairments in social interaction and communication, and restricted and repetitive behavior"
-Wikipedia, regarding Autism

Sure sounds like an emotional drawback to me.
Gear...
Quote by abcdboy
"impairments in social interaction and communication, and restricted and repetitive behavior"
-Wikipedia, regarding Autism

Sure sounds like an emotional drawback to me.

Jesus the only thing you are proving is in fact that you are the direct OPPOSITE of a savant. Yes emotional drawback CAN be a sign of autism, but so can depression, general mental disability, or even friggin shyness.

Just because you're not social doesn't make you autistic.
Quote by ChaoticVengence
i bet you that second guy never got laid.....

read my mind
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Jesus the only thing you are proving is in fact that you are the direct OPPOSITE of a savant. Yes emotional drawback CAN be a sign of autism, but so can depression, general mental disability, or even friggin shyness.

Yeah, but being autistic means you're not social. And since we're on the topic of autism, Dreadnought's comment on social disabilities can be assumed as saying that savant's are socially retarded.
Gear...
Quote by abcdboy
Yeah, but being autistic means you're not social. And since we're on the topic of autism, Dreadnought's comment on social disabilities can be assumed as saying that savant's are socially retarded.

Being autistic does NOT mean you are not social. That is rubbish. They may find certain situations difficult, or indeed some may not be able to do it all together, but a sweeping generalistaion like the one you made is entirely false.

One of my best friends brothers is autistic, and when he met me, he came up to me, touched me on the hand, and talked to me. He had never ever met me before. Daniel Tammet as well, he goes on chat-shows and does fund-raisers.

Get your facts straight.

And dreadnought is absolutely right. There is a correlation. He's not saying that they're retarded at all. He's acknowledged they're completely the opposite.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

Exactly. Well said my dear.

I'm not going to add to your comment, everything I tried to type sounded rubbish so I deleted it.
I'd say that he's merely proving his own ignorance. Not that he is the 'direct OPPOSITE of a savant.'
Quote by Renka

Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Being autistic does NOT mean you are not social. That is rubbish. They may find certain situations difficult, or indeed some may not be able to do it all together, but a sweeping generalistaion like the one you made is entirely false.

One of my best friends brothers is autistic, and when he met me, he came up to me, touched me on the hand, and talked to me. He had never ever met me before. Daniel Tammet as well, he goes on chat-shows and does fund-raisers.

Get your facts straight.

And dreadnought is absolutely right. There is a correlation. He's not saying that they're retarded at all. He's acknowledged they're completely the opposite.

Daniel Tammet isn't autistic. That was my ****ing point.

EDIT: Brings me back to my original statement. Which you just acknowledged in your post. "Being a savant doesn't always mean you're autistic."
Gear...
Last edited by abcdboy at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by abcdboy

Aspergers IS a form of Autism.
Quote by abcdboy

Oh dear, you just don't get it do you?

Dreadnought was not implying that those savants are autistics. He was merely stating that there are emotional and/or mental drawbacks to having a high level of intelligence. For example, they might find their abilities make them feel cut off from the world and abnormal. This does not mean they are autistic.

People who are autistic are not always unsociable. It depends on the person in question. Some simply do not understand social values.
Quote by Renka

Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Aspergers IS a form of Autism.

I thought Daniel Tammet was cleared of his ASD's? I remember reading that somewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I remember. He was born with stereotypical autistic behaviors (counting stuff, ext.), but he overcame it. Therefore, he is no longer autistic.

EDIT: OddoneOut. Social impairment is ESSENTIAL in the diagnosis of autism.
Gear...
Quote by abcdboy
I thought Daniel Tammet was cleared of his ASD's? I remember reading that somewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I remember. He was born with stereotypical autistic behaviors (counting stuff, ext.), but he overcame it. Therefore, he is no longer autistic.

No he has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers.

Anyway, I've spent too much time arguing. I'm off.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
No he has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers.

Anyway, I've spent too much time arguing. I'm off.

Okay. It's a good thing we weren't arguing about Asperger's, but autism.

And social impairment, is necessary for the diagnosis of autism. I win.
Gear...
Quote by abcdboy

You're a lost cause. I'm going to have a bath and go to bed.

edit:
it may be essential
but social impairment does not automatically mean autism. Emotional drawbacks also means the effect somethinghas on a person, emotionally.
Quote by Renka

Quote by Dreadnought

But isn't that part of evolution? Sort of a trial and error sort of thing. I could try and explain what I mean, but I'm tired and i'll make myself look like an idiot.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by OddOneOut
You're a lost cause. I'm going to have a bath and go to bed.

edit:
it may be essential
but social impairment does not automatically mean autism. Emotional drawbacks also means the effect somethinghas on a person, emotionally.

I never said social impairment meant autism. EDIT2: Seriously, throughout this whole thread (I just checked), no one ever said that social impairment meant autism. What are you talking about?

EDIT: Claptonwannabe, I wiki'ed all your claims. I was right. Social impairment IS necessary for diagnosis of autism. As in ABSOLUTELY necessary. So, how about you get your facts straight before getting into a discussion?

EDIT3: Yeah, I have no life.

"People who are autistic are not always unsociable. It depends on the person in question. Some simply do not understand social values."

Yet, later on. "[social impairment] may be essential [for diagnosis]".

Both from you, oddoneout. You lose.
Gear...