well i got my squier hss strat and roland cube 15x ~3 weeks ago and well... long story short, i suck

i can play master of puppets intro and nymphetamine and im trying to learn stream of counsciousness now but... whats the best way to get better? is there a list of songs or something in varying difficulty levels i can learn so i know im getting better? im 16 now and i was starting to think i started electric guitar too late.. .:S
Quote by penguinsauce
well i got my squier hss strat and roland cube 15x ~3 weeks ago and well... long story short, i suck

i can play master of puppets intro and nymphetamine and im trying to learn stream of counsciousness now but... whats the best way to get better? is there a list of songs or something in varying difficulty levels i can learn so i know im getting better? im 16 now and i was starting to think i started electric guitar too late.. .:S

Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins started at 18 if I'm not mistaking and there are plenty of other examples of people starting older than most. Really, if you just practice regularly you'll be fine.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by penguinsauce

ok uhm, i started 2 months befor i turned 16, and i play fine. i think its u need to practice more. or maybe you truly dont have any talent at all, altho i beleive you can MAKE talent, but hey what do i know?
you've been playing for 3 weeks and already pissin' and moanin', you'll never get better with that defeatist attitude. As stated above practice, scales , chords, and this site has damn near any tab you could think of
just play a bunch

even if its not songs, do what i do and use some recording tool, anything you have works, Audacity, Acid whatever, and find some drum and bass loops, put them together for like 30 min repeating the same thing, and then play that, and jam to it with your guitar

and play ur own stuff

i never really learned many songs, but songs i would recommend are

YYZ from Rush- a little hard for you maybe, but still, great song to play, fun, and covers a few ammount of styles

Whitewash from Buckethead- good song to learn on, not too fast, and helps you with style.

other than that, just jam

i never took lessons or learned a bunch of other ppl's songs, and i play fine

just play your own thing
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
I know very few people who have no musical talent. If you want to learn it, you can. I suggest changing your learning method. Just practice but keep on a schedule. Like learn technique first then move up. I didn't learn that way, but sometimes I believe it would have been better that way.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
thats a very defeatist attitude... just practice, and get a good teacher
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by penguinsauce

you've been playing for 3 weeks, and you want to learn stream of conciousness?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by Bonsaischaap
Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins started at 18 if I'm not mistaking and there are plenty of other examples of people starting older than most. Really, if you just practice regularly you'll be fine.

Slash started at 15
i used to play acoustic before >_>

stream of consciousness makes my pinky hurt hahahah

i guess i need to get a teacher then!
here's a quick, rough list off the top of my head that i remember going through when i started guitar

Rage Against the Machine - Freedom
Rage Against the Machine - Wake Up
Papa Roach - Blood Brothers (??)
other random riffs/melodies of radio crap you hear every day
Velvet Revolver - Sucker Train Blues
Children of Bodom - Bed of Razors
Children of Bodom - Silent Night, Bodom Night
Arch Enemy riffs
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Take it easy man. You can't expect to play well in a matter of 3 weeks. In my first three weeks, i could barely play your basic open G D C chords. Just keep practicing at your own pace.
Be cool.
Quote by silhouettica
just play a bunch

even if its not songs, do what i do and use some recording tool, anything you have works, Audacity, Acid whatever, and find some drum and bass loops, put them together for like 30 min repeating the same thing, and then play that, and jam to it with your guitar

and play ur own stuff

i never really learned many songs, but songs i would recommend are

YYZ from Rush- a little hard for you maybe, but still, great song to play, fun, and covers a few ammount of styles

Whitewash from Buckethead- good song to learn on, not too fast, and helps you with style.

other than that, just jam

i never took lessons or learned a bunch of other ppl's songs, and i play fine

just play your own thing

1: hes probably not going to be able to just pick up his guitar and write a song, unless he knows a bunch of theory and chords and scales, and all that other stuff
Whitewash and YYZ are way the hell out of his leauge, he probably cant even play master of puppets intro descently. (no offense, but i know what it was like to start out) Just keep practicing songs and stuff, find a teacher, and learn some music theory. Unless you can keep a good beat in your head (like me ) practice with a metronome too. Dont just mindlessly practice the same song for 2 hours though...and remember...build those calluses!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
If your new, everyone is going to tell you the same thing. Chords and scales.

I'm new right now started about a week ago, and i love it, my suggestion:

Play some fun tabs ie: louie louie, iron man, hey there delilah. Dont expect to be playing some crazy solos in 3 weeks.

Im doing chords right now, and i love it, (especially on acoustic) because it just motivates me and shows me Im gonna be making good music when im done with this.

As for scales I would reccomend FUN scales, dont do your major 1000 times until its perfect (yet) but play a scale that sounds cool, that makes you smile when your done, then later maybe work harder on major scales, my favorites are pent. major, minor, blues.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

^ is the site for you.

Just remember this isnt going to be a work your butt off for a month and you sound like metallica kinda thing, it takes patience, have fun with it!

Good luck, don't quit on yourself, guitar is a lifelasting achievement, and one that is great to know.

P.S. If you want to start playing tabs i would suggest blink 182, even if u dont like it, alot of it is fun palm muting ie. 1234 2234 6234 5234 8234 4234 4234 52 52 52 52 52

Good songs for blink 182:

Adams song
Hold on ( kind of hard to heer in song but you can if you listen close)
Go
always ( my favorite )
Down ( a bit harder )
I miss you

And other punk bands. Dont go and play fast metal, trust me it will be frustrating.
Last edited by AmPedowers at Sep 30, 2007,
Learning to play guitar takes practice and hard work but as said don't leave out the "fun" component. You're only 16, enjoy yourself. I started learning at 17 and I loved the guitar so much I couldn't put it down.
I hope you're not to old ! I must be damn near dead at 40, and heck I only got to play for two years? Damn.
Kirk Hammett started at 15
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
Stop trying to play stuff that's way out of your league and start at the beginning - you haven't got a hope in hells chance of playing the stuff you want to yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com