Ok, so I've been on the look out for something to tighten the sound up on my 5150 and make it sound less muddy. Yesterday I took a trip to guitar center and tried out a few pedals, however, they didn't have a 6505 in there (wtf?) and the closest thing to it was a JSX. Here's my findings:

Plugging into the JSX and playing through the gain channel and then switching the pedal on and off I got these results:

-Visual Sound Route 66 - I honestly couldn't tell the difference in sound very much between it being on or off. The bass boost on it actually CUT out of some of the bass on the amp and it sounded better with it off. When the compressor was turned on it made the amp hum like crazy (it didn't hum before it was on). Overall, not what I was expecting.

-BBE Boosta Grande - Palm mutes sounded much better, tightened up bass a lot, however, chords sounded even more muddy and when playing higher fret single notes, there wasn't much difference in sound.

-Ibanez TS-808 - I actually liked this one the best, I'm starting to think that there was something faulty with my friends OD-808 I was using because this gave me a completely different sound than the OD-808 gave me. Tightened up bass, chords were pleaseant, still semi muddy on higher frets though.

-Boss SD-1 - Nothing too special, it was just alright. Didn't really expect it to be too great anyway.

Those are all the one I played around with, I noticed as I was leaving however that they had the Zakk Wylde Overdrive and BBE Green Screamer as well, they were just hidden

I really wanted to try out the Fulldrive 2 and OCD, but I asked one of the guys there if they had it and he said that they have to special order those and I'd have to pay for it without ever trying it out, so I guess that's really out of the question

Do you guys think that the Fulldrive and OCD would be worth it buying one from Guitar Center or Musicians Friend or something and trying it out and if I don't like it just bring it back? What would you guys do?

I also didn't get to try any EQs, they didn't have any MXRs in except for the floor model so I couldn't use it on the amp I wanted to
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 1, 2007,
if you're getting a full refund then yes it's definitely worth trying out
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
if you're getting a full refund then yes it's definitely worth trying out

I'm actually not quite familiar with GC's refund policy, but I think so, however, they might charge a restock fee (not really sure), anyone know? However, I'd think that if I bought it online and sent it back I'd still have to pay for the shipping both ways.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
uh, the route 66 is manufactured by visual sound.
i dont know if i threw this out there before. theres mods for the 5150 that will give you much more clarity. you lose a little gain bit of gain but its nothing drastic.
Quote by TehJermie
uh, the route 66 is manufactured by visual sound.
i dont know if i threw this out there before. theres mods for the 5150 that will give you much more clarity. you lose a little gain bit of gain but its nothing drastic.

Yeah, I really don't know why I put fulltone on there, I guess I was still thinking of the Fulldrive and OCD.

I realize there's mods you can have done to it, but all these mods I see cost a lot of money, and there's other amps I'd rather have for that amount of money.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^well, it just may be time to part ways dude. i dont see much that could be done otherwise.
Quote by TehJermie
^well, it just may be time to part ways dude. i dont see much that could be done otherwise.

Yeah, I've been tryin to sell it but I haven't even gotten anyone interested in it lately, so I figured I'd try the alternate route until I find a buyer. I'd put it up on ebay, but I'd rather find someone locally to buy it or even trade with someone. I actually saw a brand new Mesa F-30 at Guitar Center Saturday for $712, I really like that amp, but I need to sell the damn Peavey! lol
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com