I'm wicked excited

I've been self taught up to this point (10 years total, but only a year seriously because I did'nt actually own a guitar until then). I was wondering if there's anything in particular I should communicate to my instructor to let him know where I'm at (other then just saying "I know basic scales and chords, now what"). Also, aside from making sure my strings are in good shape and tuned, is there anything else I should do/have to be prepared? I'm probably overthinking things, but I wanna make sure I don't waste any time so I can get the most out of it.

Thanks in advance
Well, as you said make sure your gear is all god, and then just go in with an open mind, tell the guy/girl what you know and what you can do, and if theysay lets go a step back, then let them, because they will need to go a step back to be consistent with their teaching to make sure you havent missed out on somethingthat will be built on later... In fact, if they dont try to take you a step back, maybe you should go the step back anyway, standard sort of teaching really, new year, start a little back, helps refresh memories and fills in any small gaps and stuff.

Just dont be all cocky and show off and stuff, wont get you anywhere
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, considering I'm asking the guy for lessons it'd be bad form for me to try to be cocky, but I'll make an extra point to leave my ego at the door

Thanks again!

-Edit- On a side note, you raise a good point. What should I be looking for as he's teaching me? The first two lessons are free (they were having a special when I bought the guitar), but I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth when I start paying (should I decide to).
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 2, 2007,
What should you be looking for? I dunno, what do you want out of your lessons? Are you looking to play a certain style, interested in lots of theory, do you want to cover a wide variety of genres?

Of course every guitar teacher who's worth anything should:

a) Have a thorough grasp of music theory. How chords are formed. Scales. Etc.
b) Be patient with his student.
c) Hold his students to certain standards. A good guitar teacher will drop a student who isn't doing his "homework" or putting in proper practice times. A good teacher will require that his students learn guitar inside and outside of his class.
d) Communicates clearly. This means he is able to explain/show things several different ways. If you can't understand a concept he should be able to re-word it in a way that you do. It doesn't matter how good someone is as a player, if they can't put it into words to show you it doesn't matter. You're looking for a teacher, not a performer.

Some things that might help:

a) Someone who is a "master" or particularly skillful at a certain genre. Even better if it's the one you want to learn.
b) Performance history. Even if it's only at open mics or small coffee shop gigs. This is especially helpful if you're hoping to do some performing.

I dunno, I can't think of anything else. Hope that was clear. If not, ask. I might still be around later to re-clarify.
Thanks Jones

I'm not especially looking for a particular genre, rather I'm interested in being well rounded. Since I'm still within my first year of "serious" guitar playing, I want to explore the spectrum. Also, I like the idea of being able to sit down with a guitarist regardless of his/her genre and being able to contribute somthing. So yeah, I do want to learn a wide variety of styles for now, until I'm able to peg down which one best suits me and that I find the most fun. Everything I've learned thus far has been about building technique, and with a couple 'fun song' exceptions, that's all I've been interested in learning. Until now it hasen't been about what I want to play, but rather what I can play that will progress my skill (not to say I'm not having fun, far from it).

As far as what I want out of my lessons, the short answer is I want to progress. I want to learn theory, as I currently know base scales and chords, but aside from parroting songs, I can't really do much with them. Sure, I can belt out the occasional riff or chord progression, but they don't sound especially......'inspired' I guess, if that makes any sense. As far as playing, I'm fingerstyle primarily, so astheticly I enjoy folk and classical, however as listening is concerned I love classic rock, hard rock, and the infamous "chugga-chugga" testosterone driven hard-core metal that everyone complains about (I'll admit, I've come across some kids who play that kind of music really well, but inspire me as not being too well rounded musically, which I find somewhat annoying).

That's about as much as I can clarify, because aside from that, to this point I really don't know where I want my music to take me, I only know that I want to get on the road to being there.

-Edit- Since I've got 2 free lessons, I guess the timeframe isn't as pressing as I indicated, and Friday (when I'm at work again) I'll post some thoughts on my first lesson to help give some bearing. Thanks again for all the replies.
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 2, 2007,
If the instructor is worth his salt, you won't need to communicate anything to him. Realize it will probably take one lesson for him to know where you're at, and that he might make you practice things that seem easy or inane...you'll get out of it what you put in.

The guy that helped me the most of my playing essentially told me "go home, and don't come back until you've learned these scales." It was his way of saying you're ready for more, just memorize the basics in order to move on bigger and better things.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but its what I have right now.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I think you'll do fine, you've got a great learning attitude. Just don't expect miracles, anything that's worth anything takes time. Most self-taught students let their egos get the better of them and bail on lessons before giving them an oppotunity to work for them. Apart from that...I think everyone else has already said it.