Probably kind of a noobish question, but no one I know can help me...

Is there any difference between delay and echo?

Cause it seems like every box I see that says echo says delay and vice versa...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by PlayMadness
Probably kind of a noobish question, but no one I know can help me...

Is there any difference between delay and echo?

Cause it seems like every box I see that says echo says delay and vice versa...

I'm pretty sure there's a technical difference, I once recommend and echo pedal to someone who asked for delay and some called me an idiot and said they were totally different.

However, that person was a tool.

They accomplish the same thing, repeating the input signal.

I recommend the H2O Pedal by Visual Sounds, it's amazing.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Yes, echo picks up everything you play, everything, sometimes delay just picks up what is played in a certain time.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Quote by ericgentz
Yes, echo picks up everything you play, everything, sometimes delay just picks up what is played in a certain time.

What do you mean by "in a certain time"?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

A delay repeats a signal at regular intervals until the timing on the pedal tells it to end. A reverb is reverberation, i.e. the analog or digital representation of a sound being bounced off a wall (or multiple walls) until it returns in its altered form (because of the acoustic properties of the virtual room or walls) to the ears of the listener. They sound quite a bit different at their extreme settings. As you tighten the interval on a delay you can get a similar effect to reverb although your ears can still tell the difference. Spring reverberation sounds more "mushed" together than delays.
I've always thought of echo as slapback and short delay times...delay can be long.

But you might get more help in the accessories/gear forum.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by uldhppi
A delay repeats a signal at regular intervals until the timing on the pedal tells it to end. A reverb is reverberation, i.e. the analog or digital representation of a sound being bounced off a wall (or multiple walls) until it returns in its altered form (because of the acoustic properties of the virtual room or walls) to the ears of the listener. They sound quite a bit different at their extreme settings. As you tighten the interval on a delay you can get a similar effect to reverb although your ears can still tell the difference. Spring reverberation sounds more "mushed" together than delays.

reverb was not mentioned once....

An delay is just a fancy name for echo...
Remember when you yelled at something and then it came back half a second later? Thats a delay.
Remember when you yelled at something and then it came back half a second later?
Thats an echo.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I've always thought of echo as slapback and short delay times...delay can be long.

But you might get more help in the accessories/gear forum.

Not at all, I can set my echo pedal from really tight reverb, to slap back, all the way to 45 second pauses between repeats.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

reverberation is like an echo with extremely small times inbetween the pulses
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
delay usually refers to an echo using digital technology. echo is echo that uses analog technology or is emulated to sound like analog technology. This isn't always definate but that is the only difference usually. thats why with some pedals u have delay and echo. They do the same thing really exept they sound quite different. Delay is usually much more synthetic sounding and brighter and thiner however to me sounds a bit more compressed. Echo on the other hand sounds much more warm but also picks up your string attack much more imo. They both have their uses. And yes typically delay will have longer delay times. Also analog echo can sometimes start feeding back when set too high.
CGDAEG