1!
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
10! But not for his playing.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Dee Dee was not a great bassist, but he was perfect for the minimalist Ramones. What people don't always realize was that he was the main lyricist for the group, even though everyone in group was credited. His bass playing was a 5, for his contribution to punk rock, as the ad goes, priceless.

Dee Dee fought his personal demons and a serious heroin addiction for years before he died. For an idea of the darker side of the NY 70s punk scene, his autobiography, "Lobotomy" is a great read.

I was lucky enough to be in NYC when the whole mid 70s punk scene exploded and met the original Ramones on more than a few occasions. Dee Dee was pretty generous to the fans and very approachable, but destructive in his personality. Definitely a unique being in the world of early punk rock.