I've heard good things from both, so in the UG community which would be better for a variety of rock and metal genres, both lead and rhythm?
FW65 is better IMO
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Quote by which ones pink
I don't know where you heard good things about those amps, neither are anything special. Try a Roland Cube 30x, or save up a little more for a Crate Palomino V16.

+1, went to guitar center yesterday and there was this really good guy playing on one of those FWs and his tone was horrid. I laughed...very hard... but it still made me sad.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
So we're talking under $300? Epi Valve 5 watt stack $249. A distortion pedal of your choice. Great tone in your budget.
sorry for takin this post out from a while ago, but im in the same situation as the topic creator.
im in the budget for both (under 300) but can anybody tell me why the FW would be better than the GTD? what are the differences of the two?
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
What kind of music do you play?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I have played basically all the "better" solid state amps out there like the Vox Valvetronix, Roland Cubes, Fender DSP's, etc. Even the crap solid states like Line 6 Spider and Marshall MG's. The Crate FW65 blows them all away, I really preferred it a lot more than the others. The valvetronix was a close second, but the overdrive channel(s) were pretty lame and sounded very cheap. And apparantly with pedals in front of it, it's even worse. The FW65 has three channels: Clean, overdrive, and high gain distortion for rock or even metal if you crank the gain up. EQ on each channel (the high gain shares an eq with the overdrive channel). Has some effects, but mainly I just used the independent reverb. Also comes with a three way footswitch, and all the others don't.
okay thank you.
i play almost everything but death metal (cannibal corpse and stuff like that)
punk, ska, classic rock, metal, blues

is the Flexwave a centered amp? like directed towards one style? or could i play most things on it without much inhibition?
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
I would personally try to save up a little more money if you can.

For $300USD, you could get an all tube Epiphone Valve Standard. On it's own, it could do classic rock and blues. For anything heavier however, you'd need to have an overdrive/distortion pedal.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
is it loud?
i want something that i can practice with a band with, and maybe small gigs
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Try and save uo a bit more,great amp but just give it a little longer and mabey get the 120watt