hey im looking to set up my home recording studio in an old caravan that ill fix up... and just a few quick questions... (please be helpfull)

1.) do soundcards/usb interfaces have preamps for the channel? and phantom power?... or would a preamp and an interface be needed?...
if so, would the preamp go before or after the interface?

2.) where abouts do headphones and monitors go "out" of in the setup...? out of the soundcard?, computer?... i know that you can have outs from the soundcard, but then that'd just have the signal that goes into the soundcard,- not what you'd put in and mixed/added effects on the computer? so do you loop the computer's finished signal back to the soundcard or what?.... *confused*

3.) my caravan is quite small, about 3.5meters by 2meters... will this work for mostly acoustic guitar + vocal recording? or am i wasting my time...
the only sound proofing ill be doing will be to keep sound out because i dont have any neighbours to worry about... so keeping car noises, tractor engines etc out.
so can anyone provide me with some usefull information or advice on setting it up? not tight but limited budget (most work done myself)...

PM me if you want.

so yea any ideas for answers to those 3questions?

... p.s im saving up for a macbook pro... or not pro... i havnt decided... (any ideas) ? lol... and mybe running protools

cheers!
Quote by Kennocha
hey im looking to set up my home recording studio in an old caravan that ill fix up... and just a few quick questions... (please be helpfull)

1.) do soundcards/usb interfaces have preamps for the channel? and phantom power?... or would a preamp and an interface be needed?...
if so, would the preamp go before or after the interface?

Sound cards don't come with preamps which is why most go with interface which do come with preamps on board. For sound cards its best to use a mixer to feed it as you have preamps on a mixer.

Some interfaces come with 48V phantom power...the TonePort UX1 doesn't have it but the UX2 does...for the same price of the UX2 you could get the Mackie Onyx Satellite which is firewire, has better preamps, and overall a better design.

If your interface does not have a preamp you will need to get one but most come with one so you should be covered there.

2.) where abouts do headphones and monitors go "out" of in the setup...? out of the soundcard?, computer?... i know that you can have outs from the soundcard, but then that'd just have the signal that goes into the soundcard,- not what you'd put in and mixed/added effects on the computer? so do you loop the computer's finished signal back to the soundcard or what?.... *confused*

It all depends on your setup. Interfaces normally have a control room out for studio monitors and most have headphone ports.

For the sound card/mixer setup you'll just plug your headphones into the mixer headphone port.

3.) my caravan is quite small, about 3.5meters by 2meters... will this work for mostly acoustic guitar + vocal recording? or am i wasting my time...
the only sound proofing ill be doing will be to keep sound out because i dont have any neighbours to worry about... so keeping car noises, tractor engines etc out.
so can anyone provide me with some usefull information or advice on setting it up? not tight but limited budget (most work done myself)...

You'll get loads of feedback in a small space with any type of speakers or monitors and you may get some funky sounds when recording in a small space...
I suggest a larger area to record in if you are using mics...pref. a place with sturdy walls that will keep out noise which will all feed into your mics if you are in a noisy area.

Acoustics need a good mic to pick up the sounds and you will easily get loads of other sounds in your recordings if you are in a slightly noisy environment.

You could try putting up a product called Dynamat which is a sound blocking product for vehicles. It is high in price though...
thanks heaps! ive just started out reading all the info on your website. helping alot to understand stuff!! thanks mate!

p.s --- it seems i was getting confused between "soundcard" and "audio-interface"..... i think i get it better now?

EDIT: when you said ill get lots of feedback if using monitors of any kind... that means that if im using speakers to hear myself while im recording itl feedback easily? because i think i get that... and i was planning on using headphones? still a bad idea? ....
but is it workable? or am i wasting my time completely?
Last edited by Kennocha at Sep 30, 2007,
I think it will work out and its up to you if you want to spend your money on it all but don't expect great results like what you'll get with a DAW and Condenser mic setup.

Yes of playing your audio though speakers while recording you'll get the feedback...you can use headphones instead though.

BTW - Best way to go is with an interface of some kind. If you are just doing this for small work I suggest the Toneports. The UX2 has phantom power for a condenser mic if you plan on using one but I suggest an SM57 mic as it wont pick up loads of noise other than what its pointed at.

The site in my sig. (Tweak's) is not my site...I just putting it there to help others out.

edit
one last thing but i think you under stand it already.
An interface and sound card are not the same thing. Interfaces bypass the computer's stock sound card for recording but you'll still use the stock card for playback. Recording sound cards are good for both playback and recording and have better jacks compared to the small 1/8" ones you'll see on most computers today. Recording cards tend to use RCA or 1/4" jacks which is much better for quality and hookup.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 1, 2007,
ok thankyou...

i still dont get where the headphone/monitor outs will go...

where abouts to be able to hear the inputs to the interface and the play back after its been edited on the computer? (listening to whats coming out of the computer)

yea its a great site all the same

any advice or direction pointers to what program to run for recording? ... protools? logic?...
can anyone help me with the headphone/monitor out problem?
i can work out where they go to get
1.) signal from audio interface
2.) edited signal from computer

do you need 2 sets? 2 different outs?
or is there a why you can listen to both signals/mixes with just 1 out?
^Both are the same. The signal from the audio interface will be the signal that has been edited by you in the computer.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Typically yes.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.