If youve read the replies on the Smashing Pumpkins article on the front page, youve probably noticed a discussion about the purpose of moshing. So I figured Id bring it here out of boredom to see what the populace of UG thinks about it.

Mosh Pits:
Yay or Nay?

Personally I think theyre the dumbest thing since sausages wrapped in a pancake on a stick.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Yeah I think they are pretty retarded too. And I do listen to metal, I still don't understand the point of moshing.
Mosh pits are fun and exciting. Plus, they're healthy. Name a better way to get cardio than charging head-first into a huge, bald guy twice your height and girth in the middle of thousands of people. Repeatedly.
^Stairmaster?
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
the original creaters had a complex design in order for individuals to release their witheld frustrations and fears. It was in no way, shape, or form of today's mosh pits
I dont mind them plus its the only place where i can get away with punching someone in the face and calling it an 'accident'.
Quote by Gunpowder
^Stairmaster?

Not a bad plan, I'm totally gonna stairmaster it up to some Death.
Last edited by PandaFantastic at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by PandaFantastic
Note a bad plan, I'm totally gonna stairmaster it up to some Death.

Hey, that's what I do. Stairmasters are so metal.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
to the guy who said he lieks to punch peopel in the face...

you fail at mosh pits.

moshing is quite fun, if you do it right and so do the people around you. e.g. no punching people in the face, and help people up when they fall so they don't get trampled to death.
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
i know someone who got caught in a mosh pit at rock the universe in orlando. she was pregnant, and miscarried. it ****ing sucks. no point, listen to the music.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
i like the mosh pits.... but lately there's like the "hardcore dancing" that is always there and i hate those ppl...every show in the Ottawa region there always there...so yeah i like mosh but i hate the new trend of hardcore dancing.... when you mosh its just pushing but like the dancing your ****ing going to eat a fist right in the face and **** up your whole face... i hate those hardcore dancers...
Indie concerts are the best.

= moshing is lame

Typical response by mostly every "metalhead" at my school..."if you don't mosh you're a pussy"

silly Linkin Park fans
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
since when was mosh pits and moshing made for metal? if i recall it was punk from the 70's? whoa guitar infidel ^^ are you serious??? i was there. was it this year or last year? dag that sucks.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Its highly enjoyable. You get a good adrenaline rush out of it and its a good outlet for aggression. I see it as a highly tribal and brotherhood like experience, cos' In every pit I've been in, their is always a couple of guys who "got you're back"
Anyone who dislikes them are either to meticulous of trivial things, don't wanna get a lil hurt (busted eyebrows aren't gonna' hurt no one) or they have to focus upon the band to really get into the vibe of the music. The last one, I respect.
>.< The others are just annoying as hell.
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Click this if you like men!
Quote by marktuazon
since when was mosh pits and moshing made for metal? if i recall it was punk from the 70's? whoa guitar infidel ^^ are you serious??? i was there. was it this year or last year? dag that sucks.

i think it was last year.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Nay.

Actually, nay to violent mosh pits. People have lost sight of what it's supposed to be, just a way to relieve aggression and have a good time.
Dickless.
Quote by guitar_infidel
i know someone who got caught in a mosh pit at rock the universe in orlando. she was pregnant, and miscarried. it ****ing sucks. no point, listen to the music.

my dad saw some guys starting to push around some lady (by accident) who looked kind of pregnant. my dad grabbed the two guys and was like "you two look military. are you?"

they were like "not yet, sir"

"well be more careful where you're moshing next time or i'll make sure you NEVER make it into the military" and he took a look at their ID. he's a fairly high ranking air force officer.

he pwnd them
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
yeah there fun. if you fall down people pick you up and everyones there for you. but they can get out of hand sometimes. i hate when people pull out knives in pits. thats why i stay away from intense death metal pits.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
It's called burning off steam. If you listen to aggressive music, chances are you'll feel pumped, and moshing lets you get it out.

It's an adrenaline rush, yeah people sometimes get hurt, but people sometimes get hurt skydiving, stuff happens.

If you don't want to mosh, get out the way. Of course there's always idiots who mosh at the oddest bands/times, and they're just that, idiots.

"Man were you at the Municipal waste show last night?"
"Yeah man, standing there and watching was intense!"
"shit yeah!"
mosh pits are the **** you faggots.
Quote by armon77
im american but i think canada would win. they would probably lay low until everyone took each other out and then finish the last one standing off in one fell swoop. sneaky bastards.
i prefer to think of moshing as a way to get more in the flow with the music and really feeling the music. and of course, i hate the douches that go out there with the intention of just kicking peoples ass...

however, if done correctly, skanking lines/circles/pits > mosh pits

unfortunately the art of skanking has died , so mosh away
ehh
Last edited by skaguitarist53 at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by gopherthegreat
if it gets violent then nay. if its just good fun, then yay.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, you go to show and theres one asshole who tries to hurt people, then it sucks.
I'm a really really non-aggressive person normally. The odd time I do have a chance to go into a good mosh pit, it's a great time, and enhances the experience if the people around you aren't assholes (and surprisingly often, they aren't!). It's a uniting experience. I will never forget the mosh pit when I saw Kataklysm.
Quote by PT 2 DOOR RULE
If I have bad creepy dreams tonight, your ass is toast Still Life

Quote by skeptopotamus
Dream Sexy...dream Still Life...

Last.fm runs my life
Quote by guitar_infidel

You know, I really feel bad for the child and for her, but why the **** did she go to a concert while pregnant? Even if she wasn't in a mosh pit, the loud volumes could've damaged the baby anyway. It was her fault for going to the concert, I'm sorry to say.

Otherwise, I find mosh pits great. When you get the idiots who punch and kick it sucks.
Who dat?
I don't think a good show would be complete without a bit of mosh.

And to the guy who said hardcore dancing is a "new trend," that's definitely not the case. It's been around for a long time, it's just becoming more prevalent and um.. flamboyant lately. I like it though, fun to watch, fun to do as long as you're not in a pit of tough guys.

Oh, and pile-up and gang vocals are life.
hug your local pug dealer!
I'm all for mosh pits, even though I don't take part in them. I prefer to actually watch the band that I'm paying to see.
i havent seen any hardcore dancing but as soon as i do im going to straight up lay them out old school and b like thats how u mosh hoe! but moshing is fun if done right and people help eachother up its not AS dangerous as people make it seem its really good fun
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Quote by swordsrkewl
i havent seen any hardcore dancing but as soon as i do im going to straight up lay them out old school and b like thats how u mosh hoe! but moshing is fun if done right and people help eachother up its not AS dangerous as people make it seem its really good fun

You should do that, in fact everyone should. Hardcore karate dancers should be fed to the lions.
I love moshing if the people are cool. If it gets to violent I just pogo. By the way moshing orginated for punk not metal and moshing at punk shows is more fun.