Ive been playing guitar for about a year now, and lately ive been wanting more and more songs that have faster riffs that i could challenge myself with, and also improve my speed greatly. The lastest song i learned was plug in baby by muse, it didnt take too much effort to learn and be able to play it well, but it still gave me a little trouble for a couple days. Any ideas for songs that would help me? help is much appreciated
i would start working on your scales and arpeggios with a metronome. start off VERY VERY VERY slow. this will increase more that just your speed. you will be very accurate and clean.
Quote by JWD192005
um you could learn some Dream Theater

Ahhh I dont feel so alone anymore...

you could try In The Name of God by Dream Theater

it'll give your wrist a workout and your pinky a cramp.
Quote by CowboyUp
Scarified.

+1

anything by Paul Gilbert should give you a nice workout.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799

anything by Paul Gilbert should give you a nice workout.

should i use more Racer X material, Mr. Big material or solo material? and can you suggest albums?

again much thanks
anything by Dragonforce will require nothing but speed.

just learn Through The Fire And The Flames, that song requires a huge amount of speed
because of the omigawd speed and range of fretting.

so yeah, good luck.
Quote by Schamburglar
The lastest song i learned was plug in baby by muse, it didnt take too much effort to learn and be able to play it well, but it still gave me a little trouble for a couple days.

Ok, let me ask you, those "easy" songs you play "well", can you play them in time
to a metronome? If not, learn to do that. That will challenge you and you'll need
precise skill to play harder stuff.

Everyone likes to toss around difficut songs to "practice speed", yet I wonder how
many of you can actually play them in time. A lot of people say they can play a song,
but put a metronome in front of them and they couldn't pull it off to save their lives.
And to me, that means you most definitely cannot play the song.
Quote by CowboyUp
Scarified.

+192929028290822

see you in a couple of months.

im still working on it and i started on it in july
lol
not even attempted the end yet :/
Top lel.
Quote by CJRocker
Welcome to Buckethead Land. /end thread

Nottingham Lace./end thread.
Be cool.

is it so hard to just try and play the slow stuff you already know faster?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by fafinaf
^ boooring

Your face is boring >.> (-9893845674986543)

i completely agree with edg...Try gettin the songs you already know with slightly simple hand coordination and master those first WITH the up-down picking, for example far away by nickel will not only give u up-down picking practice to improve your speed you need all your fingers to play it and theres about 3 switches in the right hand positions which can help you too if you deicide "you know what, this songs hellluva slow lets kick it up a notch" and try playing that fast...once you play it dot to the metronome speed and any other songs that you know, go ahead with dragonforce and what not...
actually what a lot of the people here have been talking about (metronome and whatnot) i was already doing that after i learn the songs before anyone in this thread suggested it, and someone said up-down picking, yep been doing that too, oh and the dragonforce people, im sorry but i mean i kinda wanted a challenge, but i didnt mean like THAT hard, i wanna get better, but i think it would be like a better idea to go for stuff a little higher than my level of playing and keep working up, instead of playing speed metal when ive only been playing a little longer than a year, help is still greatly appreciated.
Quote by Schamburglar
should i use more Racer X material, Mr. Big material or solo material? and can you suggest albums?

again much thanks

download the album Get Out Of My Yard, it's a full instrumental album with Paul just rockin' out on guitar and it offers some really great songs to learn that'll help you with speed and accuracy.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
download the album Get Out Of My Yard, it's a full instrumental album with Paul just rockin' out on guitar and it offers some really great songs to learn that'll help you with speed and accuracy.

And if you can get the instructional DVD Paul did to go along with that. That and his intense rock series of instructional videos are awesome. Youtube your friend too...