Now, I understand it may be a good idea to cover some songs when your band starts out to get used to playing music with each other, but the band I'm currently in won't stop covering songs. We've learned around 15 songs together and can play through all of them smoothly, however my bandmates still feel we need to cover more songs.

Basically, I don't want this band to be one of those bands that just covers songs for a while, gets bored, and breaks up. I feel we've actually got some potential . Anyways, what is your advice on how I should tell them we need to start writing songs now instead of doing so much covering?
just tell them how if all you do is covers nobody is gonna take you seriously, and you wont get as many gigs... just get some original material and play that with only a few covers. that tends to work, and then eventually do all originals, and maybe one cover if u want to
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Write a song, lyrics, the whole shabang. Lie and say its some sweet indie band you just found.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
don't worry about it, your just the bassist, they won't let you have much of an opinion. so when the time is right, and when they get bored of covering and feel like they should write, they will write, if they don't want to, then find a new band
Quote by ledhendrix711
do u guys know where i can get guitar tabs ive bin lookin every where on the internet..

Quote by Muphin
I take the strings off before I smash my guitars. I usually go through about 2 a week. It's mad fun.
Quote by JesseWyllychuk
don't worry about it, your just the bassist, they won't let you have much of an opinion. so when the time is right, and when they get bored of covering and feel like they should write, they will write, if they don't want to, then find a new band

Bull****. Pure bull****.

Tell them straight-up, you want to be in a band that wants to write original music, and go further than just a "cover band". Tell them you'll play as the bassist in their cover band for now, but as soon as you find a new band that has the same interests and goals as you do, you're leaving.

You're not a slave to anyone's will, especially in a band. If it's not mutual, it's not going to work.
if they arn't ready you can't write music..
Quote by ledhendrix711
do u guys know where i can get guitar tabs ive bin lookin every where on the internet..

Quote by Muphin
I take the strings off before I smash my guitars. I usually go through about 2 a week. It's mad fun.
Quote by Mud Martian
Bull****. Pure bull****.

Tell them straight-up, you want to be in a band that wants to write original music, and go further than just a "cover band". Tell them you'll play as the bassist in their cover band for now, but as soon as you find a new band that has the same interests and goals as you do, you're leaving.

You're not a slave to anyone's will, especially in a band. If it's not mutual, it's not going to work.

+1 BILLION!
hug your local pug dealer!
Mad props to you Mud Martian. I'm seriously thinking about doing that with my current band. Me and the guitarist play fairly well, our drummer isn't that experienced, our bassist has only really been playing since the start of the year, and our singer is just a major douche. He doesn't like anything we want to cover, and he wants to cover songs that only he likes, and have like three simple riffs per song. =/ It's annoying. And me and the other guitarist are the only one's who actually write anything, and we're not that good at it yet anyway. So meh.

Now, to the thread starter, I don't think there's much more I can say, but try and explain to the guys that all these bands they're covering didn't get famous by covering other band's songs, they wrote their own decent songs, and your band will never get famous if you just cover other band's songs. Hopefully they listen to you. If they don't, and you actually want to take your song-writing career seriously, then either ditch them completely or find another band who will write stuff and spend a lot more time with this other band.
sig goes here
My old band used to do that, we had well over 20 songs that we were covering. But one day they just decided that they wanted to write their own songs...that eventually led to our end, when the guitarist and the manager had a discussion over a song's composition, the argument got pretty heated when the manager started taking it too seriously and cursed and insulted the guitarist. That ended the band unfortunately, but me and the guitarist were in a new band by the end of the week (this all happened last week)
You're in high school... you're not going to be famous yet anyway, just have fun with your friends, thats what high school bands are about. One out of every 3 zillion high school bands ever make it "big" and I use the term "big" loosely. When I was in my band in high school (this was like 10th grade) I was very into covering songs, because I just wanted to play and have fun and writing created too much of a stressful situation especially with the other kids in the band, not to mention that I was really undeveloped. Now that I'm older I'm more serious about the writing aspect. No offense, but people who take high school bands seriously like they are going to break out on to MTV or something are such tools.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Quote by trey-col89
You're in high school... you're not going to be famous yet anyway, just have fun with your friends, thats what high school bands are about. One out of every 3 zillion high school bands ever make it "big" and I use the term "big" loosely. When I was in my band in high school (this was like 10th grade) I was very into covering songs, because I just wanted to play and have fun and writing created too much of a stressful situation especially with the other kids in the band, not to mention that I was really undeveloped. Now that I'm older I'm more serious about the writing aspect. No offense, but people who take high school bands seriously like they are going to break out on to MTV or something are such tools.

Thats a really stupid thing to say. Sure, 3 zillion bands start young, so YOU need to work damn hard if you want to be a proffesional musician, even at highschool band level. Getting onto MTV doesn't make you big. Getting onto MTV makes you popular. If thats all you want from your band then your the tool
Oh please, get off youre ****ing high horse mr. "I'm a serious musician I know everything about music" This kid is in high school, the point of a high school band is to have fun, if you think its to "get popular" or "get known" or whatever, you're an idiot because no one really cares about high school bands, and 99 percent of them suck so bad that no one cares about ones that have potential. Face it, theres no Kenny Logginses or Steve Winwoods on ultimate-guitar.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
tell them you want to move on from covers, if they are actually planning on making it big. but you shouldnt jump from covers to original, slowly play less and less covers until all your playing is your own work
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Quote by JesseWyllychuk

Hey I'm the only one who can make bassist jokes! Besides my joke was good
Unless that wasn't a joke then you are a moron.
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
Quote by Mud Martian
Bull****. Pure bull****.

wow a smart reply with some serious balls, good man

i approve of this man's post
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
get all management speak, and say that covers are horizontal expansion, and you want to expand vertically.

if that doesnt work, find another band. if that doesnt work, get a drum machine and go solo.

its gotta be a group decision or it wont work, and if it doesnt work, wait til they see you rocking crowds with original music, while they just go through the motions and regurgiate some soulless cover version.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Im just aout ready to strangle my singer, hes not that good and every day he comes to me and says "we should cover this song" gah! I just want to write music.
Quote by Another bassist
Now, I understand it may be a good idea to cover some songs when your band starts out to get used to playing music with each other, but the band I'm currently in won't stop covering songs. We've learned around 15 songs together and can play through all of them smoothly, however my bandmates still feel we need to cover more songs.

Basically, I don't want this band to be one of those bands that just covers songs for a while, gets bored, and breaks up. I feel we've actually got some potential . Anyways, what is your advice on how I should tell them we need to start writing songs now instead of doing so much covering?

simple answer:

it's a band. it's a democracy. bring up the matter and have a vote. if win the vote, awesome. if you lose the vote, then, well... no one's putting a gun to your head and making you stay with the band.

and for the record, 1% of original bands will ever be able to make enough money gigging to pay the bills, whereas 50% of cover bands will be able to do the same. obviously I pulled those numbers out of my ass, but I'm trying to make a point. you can make some serious cash playing covers in bars for the drunk people who just wanna dance to "sweet home alabama". so all of you people saying playing covers is useless need to wise up. ha, I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't like to be in a cover band, but it's not completely useless.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by kidsthesedays
just write a couple songs urself and bring em to practice.

+1, if they like it, have them learn to play it. If not, see if others in the band have been thinking about writing and encourage them to try it.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by trey-col89
Oh please, get off youre ****ing high horse mr. "I'm a serious musician I know everything about music" This kid is in high school, the point of a high school band is to have fun, if you think its to "get popular" or "get known" or whatever, you're an idiot because no one really cares about high school bands, and 99 percent of them suck so bad that no one cares about ones that have potential. Face it, theres no Kenny Logginses or Steve Winwoods on ultimate-guitar.

Get off you're high horse and stop acting like you know what every high school band wants and/or what there best interest is. Also don't act like you have heard 99% of high school bands.

You're right music is about having fun, but it's also about whatever the artist wants it to be about and you're in no position to tell them differently.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by trey-col89

If everyone thought like that music would stop. You need to at least take the chance if you want to be serious. Plus, how can you say that high school kids can't be serious musicians? I like to think of myself as pretty serious, I want to to something with music in the future and I'm learning as much as I can as fast as I can. The generalization that kids can't be serious musicians is utter bull****. Also, about the fun aspect I find it far more fun writing than covering. Sure, covering can be fun to a point, but there is no better feeling to me, than to have a good song polished up.

To the threadstarter, I would take it up with your band, tell them you seriously think you should start writing, at least a few songs. Try and get them to write at least one song and if they don't find it awesome to find a good song and get good at it, it's upt o you whether yous still want to be in that band.
i had this problem with my first band, all we did was cover songs which was fine at first but after a while i got bored and wanted to write some stuff. they said no so i left and formed a new band (which was a great band, happy times) and as soon as i left they started to write songs.
musicians are confusing.
anyway you should just bring a song or idea in and hope they like it.
what kind of songs do you cover? that would give you some clue as to what kind of songs that you could try wiritng
I take it by your name that you are the bassist?

Same here. Get together with the drummer and write a badass bass and drums song. Tell the other guy(s) that if they wanna be in it that they better write a guitar part... fast.

But if you also play guitar (like myself and the drummer) just write the whole song by yourself, show it to them, and tell them to learn it... fast.

Just my two cents
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Lol, my band has a similar problem. We either just play covers, or we just jam. Any time I try to explain something, or try out a new riff, or suggest writing a song, our fxcking ADD sax and drummer go off doing stupid ****. We only ever get anything done when it's jsut me and the guitarist, and even then we're usually working on our industrial/nintendocore side project, not the instrumental funk metal stuff we do with the rest of the band. Still, jamming and covers are good fun, and they're good practice. I really don't expect this band to go far; we're all gonna go off to college anyway, so we might as well enjoy this while it lasts.
try and own the covers, and put your own spin on it. listen to ryan adams- wonderwall to see what i mean, and try to put that with whatever genre your with
Like some other people have said, if they don't want to work on writing original material as a band, write it yourself and have them "cover" it.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?