so, i've been saving for a new amp (i'm not even near to what i need but that's not the point of this thread)

the problem is, that i don't know what to do cause i want to have a bluesy/jazzy tone but i also want a high gain tone so i'm not sure about what should i buy

i'm leaning towards a vintage fender (not a reissue) for around $800 or a b-52 AT-212
(i'm not saying that those are my only options cause i'm going to keep looking for more amps)

i'm also thinking about some randall, orange or laney amps but i haven't seen any on my city and i'm not going to buy online

so the question is, should i buy a more blues/classic rock oriented amp and put a distortion pedal in front of it to get a high gain tone

or should i buy a high gain amps and stick with the cleans in it (maybe add a ts-808 or something alose those lines to boost the cleans)

maybe a traynor ycv40blue or a peavey classic 30
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i havent tried it, but i have heard the peavey jsx has fender cleans, marshall crunch, and then 5150 distortion. i guess try that out. good luck. finding the perfect amp is a never ending search haha
Quote by InanezGuitars44
maybe a traynor ycv40blue or a peavey classic 30

You mean YCV40? or the YCV50 Blue? Two different amps.
In any case, they're both amps I'd look into.
I got my YCV40 for 425 bucks. Great deal.

Anyway, jazzy tones are very warm tones...I don't consider them to be similar to bluesy tones, really.

In any case, it's always easier to push a clean/lower gain amp to high gain, than vice versa.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You mean YCV40? or the YCV50 Blue? Two different amps.
In any case, they're both amps I'd look into.
I got my YCV40 for 425 bucks. Great deal.

Anyway, jazzy tones are very warm tones...I don't consider them to be similar to bluesy tones, really.

In any case, it's always easier to push a clean/lower gain amp to high gain, than vice versa.

yeah, i've heard that a lot, and with bluesy/jazzy tones i was just taling about thick/warm tones

also, the jsx is completely out of my range, the most i could spend in a new amp is $800, no more, and jsx is over $1000

keep the suggestions coming, i have until christmas to find the amp
a TS808 isnt gonna boost ur cleans
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
cuz its an o.d. pedal which gives u overdrive not cleans?

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
boost your cleans = boost your cleans into natural overdrive.

and u can set overdrive pedals so ur level is at 10 and drive is at 0, it will be clean and be boosted.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
oh sry

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
Quote by forsaknazrael
deluxity, whereabouts in Mexico do you live?

Come up here to San Diego if you're near the border, and feast upon our tasty craigslist offerings.

around 20 hours of travel to get from my city to tijuana

yeah, it sucks i know
Quote by forsaknazrael
Aww...that sucks. Well...on the other hand...You do have until Christmas...

lol

hitch hiking?

^i'm waiting for christmas. god. i can't wait till i get my MIJ.

so back to topic, did u play the B-52? i don't think most amps that can do high gain won't have cleans superior to others...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^i'm waiting for christmas. god. i can't wait till i get my MIJ.

so back to topic, did u play the B-52? i don't think most amps that can do high gain won't have cleans superior to others...

yeah, i played it once, but i didn't play it in the clean channel, i've heard that it's really thin, tomorrow i'll go and take a look at some other stores to see what i can find
mesa boogie? u can pull a santana on top of heavy distortion too. isn't that a +++???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
oh yea. hmmmm can u score a used one down in mexico?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
oh yea. hmmmm can u score a used one down in mexico?

the only mesa i've seen in here was a used dual recto head for $2500

there's an old store in the city, they have vintage tube amps for reasonable prices, (i saw an old fender *insert name* reverb for like $800

i suposse they'll have some good stuff for christmas
^ooo. i want a fender *insert name here* reverb for $800.

i'm not a big fan of mesas, or peaveys, or b-52s, but it's definitely quite hard to get high gain tone + clean tone from the same amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
but it's definitely quite hard to get high gain tone + clean tone from the same amp.

+1

mr. frusciante needs seperate amps for cleans and distortion
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
^and his distortion is not even heavy like in this thread.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^and his distortion is not even heavy like in this thread.

yes it is clean compared to this threads dist
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
i want my third amp for my cleans. lol. and a second guitar dedicated for cleans too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i want my third amp for my cleans. lol. and a second guitar dedicated for cleans too.

lol you have to be quick when your switching guitars for a solo!!
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
i'd be playing my solo clean too. use some stevie ray chords.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by forsaknazrael

i disagree, many high gainers have really nice cleans, and very rarely will you successfully boost a low gainer into t3h br00talz. depends on what you're after of course.

other alternative is to get a mid-gain amp, which you can boost to high gain, and which'll also do low gain quite well. the traynor ycv might be worth considering (which has already been mentioned) or maybe a peavey classic 30?

I think it's best to think with your head, not your heart... be brutally honest. What percentage of your playing is modern high gain? what percentage is more bluesy and jazzy? and then buy accordingly. If you only need modern high gain 5% of the time, it might make sense to buy a lower gain amp and use a (good) distortion box over it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i disagree, many high gainers have really nice cleans, and very rarely will you successfully boost a low gainer into t3h br00talz. depends on what you're after of course.

Well, after a certain price tag, yeah.

Quote by Dave_Mc
other alternative is to get a mid-gain amp, which you can boost to high gain, and which'll also do low gain quite well. the traynor ycv might be worth considering (which has already been mentioned) or maybe a peavey classic 30?

Ah, sorry, shoulda specified more. That's the the kind of amps I had in mine when I said lower gain.
haha, yeah, that's true (price)... then again you generally have to go to a pretty high price to get to the nice high gainers at any rate, nice cleans or no...

and yeah, sure, i realised when i said it that a lot of us use low and mid gain almost interchangeably...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I think it's best to think with your head, not your heart... be brutally honest. What percentage of your playing is modern high gain? what percentage is more bluesy and jazzy? and then buy accordingly. If you only need modern high gain 5% of the time, it might make sense to buy a lower gain amp and use a (good) distortion box over it.

yeah, that's what i was thinking today, i'm more focused into warm tones, and i barely need to get high gain (still, i need a high gain tone)

i've been considering some peavey amps too maybe a classic 30 or a windsor
problem with the windsor is next to no cleans... anything lighter than ac/dc (and even then, i'd prefer a lower gain amp for /dc), and you're pretty much out of luck.

classic or traynor would be a good idea, with a quality overdrive or distortion box (hbe power screamer, big d, i hear the MI audio crunch box is good but haven't tried it, you have a bunch of options basically), and possibly an eq pedal, might be best.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
problem with the windsor is next to no cleans... anything lighter than ac/dc (and even then, i'd prefer a lower gain amp for /dc), and you're pretty much out of luck.

classic or traynor would be a good idea, with a quality overdrive or distortion box (hbe power screamer, big d, i hear the MI audio crunch box is good but haven't tried it, you have a bunch of options basically), and possibly an eq pedal, might be best.

damn, still i'll take a look at those amps, also, i need a guitar with humbuckers and witout such a crappy neck like mine, so i need to save a lot of money (probably around $1000)

i'll go to some stores next saturday and try a few amps and guitars
good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?