I was all set to get a 50s classic series strat but then I noticed that the fretboard is a 7.25 radius. I've heard that this makes it very hard to bend notes unless you have higher action while I like to have lower action, not like ibanez low but not really high either, which is what I've heard you have to have with the 7.25 radius. Is this true? Does anyone have experience with 7.25 fretboard radii? Also are the '69 pick ups good for like a David Gilmour, or Hendrix tone? I'm thinking about replacing the pick ups in that guitar with either '69 pick ups or with '57-'62 pick ups. I don't know which ones are better.
you need to play it first, maybe you could find it confortable, and if you don't you might be able to adjust it to make it good for you
7.25 tends to choke when you bend at high frets. not hard to bend. it chokes. it dies. thats why i have a 7.25"-9.5" compound radius neck on order.

but they sound great and plays nicely with chordings.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^How come I don't hear David Gilmour's bends die out then? Is it only the really high frets?

Also does anyone have any pick up recommendations?
Look into the classic players 60s strat, it will be my next guitar. It has a 12" radius and comes with the '69 pickups which are great imo.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat
  • Orange Rocker 30 head w/ PPC212
  • Keeley modded TS9, Morley BH2, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-20

Member of the Orange Revolution Club
^ Doesn't Gilmour use a 9.5" radius or something?

I dunno, see if you like the pickups before you swap them. Stock are meant to be decent on it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^^^ That's a good question. To my knowledge he uses a '57 neck on his black strat, and bends are like his trademark.

By the way, have you seen his new DVD? I just got it today, and damn it's good.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
^^^The 60s player strat was an option but the neck so sooooooooo thick, I much prefer the V neck that was used in the 50s.
^^Well I really liked the sound of both the 57/62s and the 69s and was just wondering what people thought got a better Gilmouresque sound.
^Yes he uses a '57 neck which as a 7.25 radius
Look at the CP50s then^

Real smooth and nice neck to play on, and looks sexy.
^I looked at them too and if I decide to get the 57/62 pickups I'll get a CP50s. But if I want the 69 pickups then I'm getting the CS50s. I'm just trying to decide which.
best if you can try it first, the 7.25" radius annoys some people, while others like it...

pickups- where are you in the world? that'll affect prices etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I'm in the US and my goal is to be able to get a David Gilmour at Pompeii type sound/Hendrix on Voodoo Child (the really long blues one, not slight return) and at the most heavy and fuzzy sort of Dead Meadowish sound.