Which small tube amp is best for getting a heavy metal sound using only its built-in preamp overdrive stages: Crate, Laney, or Vox?

• Crate V-18-112 [18W; 1x12]
—x3 12AX7 preamp tubes
—x2 EL84 power tubes

• Laney LC15R [15W; 1x10]
—ECC83 preamp tubes
—EL84 power tubes
—A/B Class

• Vox AD15VT [15W; 1x8]
—12AX7 triode

Are there any others to consider?

I have an "HM" ["heavy metal"] American Fender Stratocaster with a DiMarzio humbucker, and two DiMarzio single-coils. I'm NOT looking for a mild "blues-ey" distortion. I'm looking for full-out, heavy metal distortion. I just bought a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal, which sounds very nice, but I want to get away from using digital pedals and modelers, and try to get natural overdrive from a tube amp. Do any of these do the trick? I heard on one forum that the Crate V-18, "won't do metal," meaning that the overdrive only goes to mild distortion. I'm guessing that the Laney and Vox are even "less metal" capable than the Crate. Has anyone actually played on any of these amps? Thanks for any replies!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Laney LC15. Go try it out for yourself. Try out the windsor studio when it comes out before you make your decision.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Both Hollywood and Redondo Beach Guitar Centers don't stock Laneys, so I can't demo one there. Does Sam Ash, or any other national, brick-and-mortar retailer sell Laney? Were you able to compare the Laney to either the Crate V-18, or the Crate Palomino (its predecessor)? Was the Laney noticably "fuzzier?" Thanks!
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

what about mesa boogie hollywood? go get a mesa.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by LEVEL4
Both Hollywood and Redondo Beach Guitar Centers don't stock Laneys, so I can't demo one there. Does Sam Ash, or any other national, brick-and-mortar retailer sell Laney? Were you able to compare the Laney to either the Crate V-18, or the Crate Palomino (its predecessor)? Was the Laney noticably "fuzzier?" Thanks!

I've played both, and the Palamino was more classic rockier. The Laney LC15 had preamp distortion, that sounded very modern.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
ECistheBest; CORT noob—thanks for your suggestions!

A quick Google search came up with the Mesa/Boogie Recto Recording Preamp and their TRIAXIS, which both look like just the ticket. I really only need a direct-recording preamp device, with tube-based overdrive that can rival the sound of a Marshall stack at '11.' I don't even need an "amp" with a cabinet, since I'd prefer not to go through the trouble of miking my guitar amp's cabinet for recording (even though that's probably best way to get that sound). Both the Recto and the TRIAXIS sure look expensive, though.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 1, 2007,
mesa boogie hollywood has fulltone pedals too. so yea. thats another +++.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
hughes and kettner tube 20. old version(not sure about new) has a power attenuator on the back. the DI is supposed to be off the hook. common knowledge that the stock speaker sucks balls. grab an emi governor with it.
Thanks, TehJermie . . . speaking of H&K, has anyone ever tried the Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor Overdrive pedal? I wonder if that can make metal, straight out-of-the-box? I don't think the new Vox ToneLab LE can make metal (don't know—never tried one, but I heard they can't).

OKAY, FORGET I EVEN MENTIONED AMPS!

All I really need is a direct box (preamp) for guitar, since I'm going directly into a mixer for recording (no cabinet miking). So, it's come down to two preamps:

• Tech21 SansAmp PSA 1.1 preamp
• Mesa/Boogie Recto recording preamp

Which is "fuzzier?" Which is more well-suited to "heavy metal?" Which has the most range between "light fizz" and full-out "heavy fuzz?"

Hmm . . . decision, decisions. DCD, hmm? But does it have the range of "fuzzy" that the rack-mount preamps do? Or is it sorta an all-metal, all-the-time kinda pedal? Have you tried the Line 6 Uber Metal? It's very, very nice for a digital pedal—it's got good "scoop" control. But it simply doesn't have a smooth enough transition from clean to fuzz, as I imagine these tube-based preamps and pedals may have.

Well, that DCD has huge kudos from Harmony Central reviewers. One reviewer completely bashed the Mesa Triaxis preamp (which he also owns), and said he much prefers the DCD over it, and a bunch of other pretty decent gear he has. Probably won't be able to find one to demo. But, this "Damage Control Demonizer" pedal thing certainly looks like it's worth investigating. Thanks for the head's up, TehJermie!

Just re-read some of those reviews. Weird. The most recent review was written over a year ago! Nevermind. Found one of those gear site video demos. Sounds pretty damned good. Gotta audition a SansAmp and a Recto before I decide, though. Thanks for everyone's help!

Okay, I did it. I just started a new, on-topic thread, just on preamps for direct recording here:

NEW PREAMP THREAD HERE!